IGNORED

Positive thinking

rixxx

Guest murphythecat8

hi

I will answer in two days, I dont have time, need to do a work for school.

I think we should bring this conversation in pm, since it seems we may disturb people.

but please explain, when their is right, there is wrong.

if you do right, you dont do any karma.

The craving for libaration is of course a problkem, but before getting even close to that level, I doubt that it is really important to talk as of right now, as beginners.

BTW, you can be real close to the buddha and have never meditated all your life. meditation is not buddhism, only a part of it. morality would be much more the way to englihtment then meditation.Morality explained by the eighttfold path, is what constitute the practise. right mindfulness is only one part of the 8 parts. just one. morality, right speech, right action, right thoughts, etc, is as important.

I mean, you have to begin with morality before even attempting entering the djhanas or whatever. so why should we ask beginners to meditate?

most of what you say is true, dont get me wrong, but im interested in talking to you about that. I will pm you, because I fear we may indeed be disturbing people. but maybe spome are interested in this discussion we are having,. but this could be long, real long!

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, the einstein theory of relativity is EXACTLY what the buddha was preaching 2000 years ago. the relative theory is in total correlation with buddha theory of reality. The quantic science is also HIGLY close to the buddha teachings.

Really, "EXACTLY"? I'm pretty sure you don't know what Einstein's theory of relativity is saying. Or did Buddha predict the deviation in Mercury's orbit and the amount of energy released in an atomic reaction? Einstein's theory of relativity is not about relativity as a philosophical concept but a mathematical model of how time, space and gravity interact with each other in a very precise measurable way. I have a hard time believing that the Einstein's field equations are hidden somewhere in Buddha's teachings.

there was a dude on here that was posting from an ashram or some place like it. He got a little crazy. Is he still around?

I remember this but not sure who it was. Was it george?

BTW, the einstein theory of relativity is EXACTLY what the buddha was preaching 2000 years ago. the relative theory is in total correlation with buddha theory of reality. The quantic science is also HIGLY close to the buddha teachings.

Really, "EXACTLY"? I'm pretty sure you don't know what Einstein's theory of relativity is saying. Or did Buddha predict the deviation in Mercury's orbit and the amount of energy released in an atomic reaction? Einstein's theory of relativity is not about relativity as a philosophical concept but a mathematical model of how time, space and gravity interact with each other in a very precise measurable way. I have a hard time believing that the Einstein's field equations are hidden somewhere in Buddha's teachings.

lol. This is exactly why I see Buddhist beliefs as a religion, you're just adding to my already well set atheist mind set.

there was a dude on here that was posting from an ashram or some place like it. He got a little crazy. Is he still around?

I remember this but not sure who it was. Was it george?
Sounds a bit troon.

Well, these guys are sticking very strictly to rigid philosophical ideas and focusing too heavily on the Buddha in my opinion.

Things like this are much more to the point I think.

Knowing dharmas is not knowing Not knowing is knowing the essential... The highest principle cannot be explained: It is neither free nor bound Lively and attuned to everything It is always right before you.

I was reading this book on Zen recently that was explaining some philosophies concerning the idea of not meditating, not following dogmatic principles, and other things along those lines. I thought it was very interesting. Basically, it is asserting that all the answers are there in front of you and it is not necessary to put such a heavy focus on actively pursuing them. I think anytime you take a spiritual text and follow it so strictly you are going to run into problems. I think that spiritual understanding is based on instinct and all one has to do is speak truthfully to themselves and they can find all the answer they need.

Guest murphythecat8

the mercury orbit subject is in correlation the the einstein relativity theory? stop trying to mix everything I say, and you stick with one word and use it against me? im out of here, be happy dude, thats all.

einstein discovered a lot of things and elaborated a lot more then one theory. I am only refering to relativity and the physic quantic. yes, physic quantic is pretty much what the buddha was saying.

mind your own business if you are not happy with what you read.

Okay Murphy you need to stop now.

Aww, good thread guys! Glad this is taking up your brain space.

I was introduced to positive thinking by a friend who told me she was able to make huge progress in her body image issues by looking in a mirror every day and telling herself she was beautiful. Simple as that. Shit helped me too, I'm not gonna lie. (It probably helped that we were both doing lots of physical training and could see the progress.)

I think making your intentions into speech can be quite powerful, or at least expose the flimsiness of the thoughts we hold as truth.

Also, in my opinion it doesn't matter whether Buddhism is a religion or a philosophy, or whether life is suffering, or any of that. You have to find beliefs that work for you, enough that you can not give a shit when others challenge them. Though if you are suffering, I too recommend some kind of meditation. The absence of thought is incredibly healing to the mind. I think it's why we want to sleep all day when we're depressed-we're just looking for the brain's "off" switch.

Be well :flower:

Guest murphythecat8

"mind your own business if you are not happy with what you read."

I'm not sure that's how forums work.

this argument really clarify things! Go ahead limpylop, insult me again and again!

this argument really clarify things! Go ahead limpylop, insult me again and again!

Murphy don't take things so personally man. Just let it go. You can't do anything about the people here.

My philosophy is at the intersection of Taoism and astrophysics. The universe is so vast and inconceivably large. We are so small and insignificant in the big picture, but I find that incredibly liberating. If none of this means anything, we're free to do anything we want.

By nature, I'm a complete cynic, but I try to hold on to as much positivity as I can. There's no sense in choosing to suffer. I try to maximize pleasure and minimize suffering while trying not to harm anyone else.

we have to destroy limpylob before he insults us again and again

we have to destroy limpylob before he insults us again and again

I'm sorry I wasn't trying to insult anyone really

I was just cautioning Murphy to quit while he was "ahead"

The idea of positive/negative is a human constructed dichotomy, and counterproductive in any discussion not involving batteries. If you take in the larger picture, it's not that some things are good and others are bad, but more that there's just different energies travelling throughout our world.

For example, someone may have had an experience that profoundly changed their life and now they volunteer at a soup kitchen feeding the homeless in their spare time. You could view that as positive, or, taking in the bigger picture, you could view it as a certain energy travelling via people's actions that started long before that person was even born (think the pay it forward idea minus the cheesy feel good movie-ness of it, more just an illustration of how energies traverse the world). If you look at something like a corporation polluting a river to make money, you can also trace the intention & energies back through the centuries to even before the founding of the USA.

Looking at it this way, instead of opting for a false, forced positive perspective (which often involves a flimsy rationalization of the everyday horrors that exist in the world that doesn't hold up under scrutiny), you can instead see the various intentions & energies travelling through systems & peoples, and decide which intentions & energies you want to be a vessel for. For example, by opting to recycle and eat healthy organic food, the tendrils put out into the world by a corp like Monsanto stop when they reach you, and you spread them no further. Conversely, if someone's in a bad mood because they hate their life, and you let that mood latch onto you, then go home and bitch at your lover, you are just a vessel for that energy and are spreading it. This is unavoidable, as it is our nature as the interconnected beings we are, but you have a choice over which energies/ideas you spread & embody. You just first have to learn to take in the bigger picture and see them.

Lastly, while I totally get how the new-agey mysticism of Buddhism & Hinduism put off many a secular folk, there is some universal truth present in all religions that have been confused over the centuries through repeated mis-translations or misunderstandings of the ideas which were expressed using the language of the time. Modern quantum physicists are essentially reaching the same conclusions that Asian shaman reached a few millenia ago, just through a totally different toolset.

I have personally found that mindfulness meditation (which is simply the act of focusing your awareness on the present moment, without any of the new age mumbo jumbo people like to latch on to it) has been an infinitely useful tool for me to combat the existential ennui that comes with living in this modern era of smartphone zombies and internet egos, as well as a grounded assessment of my own life. It's kept me from suicide during a period of joblessness, breaking up with a gf, and the passing of my mother (which all happened within 2 months of each other), and also allowed me to tap into some massive inexplicable-with-human-words field of creative inspiration that's lead to an unprecedented level of creative output in the last 6 months of my life. I can't sing the praises of mindfulness meditation enough, but I've often found resistance to the idea from my self-professed secular atheist friends, simply because they don't have the sense of perspective or spiritual vocabulary to comprehend the ideas without themselves experiencing them. It's kind of like explaining a marijuana high to someone who's never smoked...you can explain it in as much detail as you possibly can, but the listener will never fully understand until they themselves experience it.

*farts*

Guest murphythecat8

lol. This is exactly why I see Buddhist beliefs as a religion, you're just adding to my already well set atheist mind set.

well, thats to show that a false post can afffect your own beleive system!

dont beleive evreything you read on internet right!

einstein relativiy theory showed the quantic model of reality which is pretty much what the buddha was saying.

Basically, physic quantic is the approved model of reality right now. Its a real puzzle for every scientist and its a quite shocking discovery, quite is not the word, it is the most mind bending theory of how the universe actually works.

It is extremely hard to undestand but basically, you think you are a particule (a body made of solid form), but you are a wave in the space and time continuum. You think you live in the present, but you are also in the past and the future. If thing exist, its because you see them, by seing them, apparently if you follow the physic quantic of reality, you fix the position of the thing you look at, therefore determining its form and position in space. Without your "view" point, the thing you were looking at wasnt basically there! pretty in line with the uddha approach, wich he says that what you see with your eye, or what you smell, and hear, is not reality, its a reality dependant of your sense, so well, while it "exist", it really only exist from your side of view. The whole buddha appraoch is to to see what is really there, beyond your completely biased reality sensed by your senses.Fascinating stuff.

The physic quantic really helped me at first, because after a few psychadelic breakthrough, I really thought I was crazy by thinking that reality do not really exist, now I know I was not crazy, reality exist sure, but you decide which reality you want to "tune in" , so the speak!

Guest murphythecat8

oh and why is atheist NOT a religious system belief? I mean, you think theres no god, theres nothing once you die, ect without any proof of it, therefore you believe blindly at a theory that cannot be prooven. whats the difference really?

oh and why is atheist NOT a religious system belief? I mean, you think theres no god, theres nothing once you die, ect without any proof of it, therefore you believe blindly at a theory that cannot be prooven. whats the difference really?

err the burden of proof is on the people claiming there is a God.

Imagine if someone said "hey evil lizard people are real, and we're gonna except that as truth until someone disproves it."

Archived