IGNORED

Steve Roach - Future Flows

I've been collecting Steve Roach since the late 1980s when I was just a teenager. Over thirty years, he's written some of the most evocative, haunting and truly inspirational music imaginable. WATMM isn't really the type of place where his music fits so I don't often see him talked about these days.

I had seen his name around before, definitely, but didn't get around to listening to any of his music till earlier this year. Structures From Silence is unbelievable. Also digging some of the tracks from Dreamtime Return. Any recommendations (preferably beatless; not too into the tribal stuff), would be much appreciated.

I've been collecting Steve Roach since the late 1980s when I was just a teenager. Over thirty years, he's written some of the most evocative, haunting and truly inspirational music imaginable. WATMM isn't really the type of place where his music fits so I don't often see him talked about these days.

Pretty sure I have seen someone collecting the Steve Roach discography in the recent purchases thread, can't remember who tho. Could be you maybe or mindphaser?

By the way, I love The Magnificent Void (take note, Tauhid!)

I had seen his name around before, definitely, but didn't get around to listening to any of his music till earlier this year. Structures From Silence is unbelievable. Also digging some of the tracks from Dreamtime Return. Any recommendations (preferably beatless; not too into the tribal stuff), would be much appreciated.

Mystic Chords and Sacred Spaces

Atmospheric Conditions

Dynamic Stillness

Sigh Of Ages

Afterlight [my favourite long form Roach piece]

Back To Life from last year is supposed to be really good as well.

Awesome, thanks dudes. I'll make a list with these.

Pretty sure I have seen someone collecting the Steve Roach discography in the recent purchases thread, can't remember who tho. Could be you maybe or mindphaser?

That would be Headonist.

Everything that has already been mentioned.

I'd also add: Immersion Series, A Deeper Silence and The Lost Pieces.

Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces was maybe his magnum opus of the last decade but A Deeper Silence (which was a kind of unofficial follow-up to Structures From Silence) was also very good indeed.

The Lost Pieces was my favorite album from his 90s era.

Don't neglect the tribal stuff. He's often hidden some lovely ambient pieces in those albums. Early 90s albums such as 'Origins' & 'Artifacts' contain some magical moments. Check out 'Your Own Eyes' from the 'Artifacts' album.

And there are the Quiet Music albums from the mid 80s that were remastered a few years back.

i'm gonna check those out too, mindphaser. Structures from Silence is the only one i have but i absolutely love it.

Yeah, Structures From Silence has to be one of the most perfect and beautiful Ambient albums ever made. Timeless.

I'll add those three, thanks Fumi. A follow-up to Structures From Silence sounds nice.

i'm gonna check those out too, mindphaser. Structures from Silence is the only one i have but i absolutely love it.

Yeah, Structures From Silence has to be one of the most perfect and beautiful Ambient albums ever made. Timeless.

Agreed. The title track is somethin' else.

i agree. steve roach is a god for me because he made this album.

Guest yikes

i am a big fan

faves-the leaving time with michael shreive

the records he did with robert rich

world's edge

soma

i never heard anything i didn't like

my only criticism is that a LOT of it sounds very much the same ,but that's ok ;-)

The Magnificent Void!

But so many of his albums are wonderful. Often the lesser talked-about ones are amazing too, like the collaborative albums 'Blood Machine', 'InnerZone' and 'Vine, Bark & Spore'. Those are some deep sonic potions...

his collab album with dirk serries, "low volume music" is one of my favorite releases of his from the past several years

http://www.discogs.com/Steve-Roach-Dirk-Serries-Low-Volume-Music/master/520165

i'd highly recommend it if you're into his longform stuff like the immersion series & a deeper silence.

obviously the low volume tracks are a lot shorter, but they have that same dreamy, majestic vibe to them

WATMM isn't really the type of place where his music fits so I don't often see him talked about these days.

that is where you are wrong sir. there are a lot of steve roach fans here, myself included.

I really loved structures from silence

What happened?

Nothing, I really loved it and still do love it, I just haven't really followed up on much of his other stuff. Maybe I'll look into the recommendations in here.

Part of the problem is I typically find myself in a very rhythmic state of mind, so sitting down to listen to lengthy, slow-to-evolve quiet ambient pieces (like Roach is perfect at) is something I only rarely do.

I like dreamtime return too

Guest nene multiple assgasms

I love his music, but he puts so many albums. I'll keep the sample tracks from this one playing and decide whether to pull the trigger.

I was super into Steve Roach in college -- Light Fantastic was my favorite 'tribal' album. 'Structures From Silence' is my IDm womb album.

Archived