IGNORED

Stott n Stout

Fred McGriff

I'll say two things to piss people off:

1. Stott reminds me of Actress.

1. this is funny cos i've never been remotely touched by actress (and i've tried) but love almost everything andy stott.

I feel the same way, I've never really felt Actress. Some songs are good, but as a whole it's not giving me anything. Andy Stott is one of my favorite electronic producaers at the moment. Will go buy some good stout after work today and enjoy these two together all evening.

nice, that Valencia video song is Credit, a Stott classic. The two tracks of that 12" (Ceramics / Credit) are two of my favourite of his earlier stuff.

aye, i was looking for ceramics but couldn't find it. this (credit)is a tune and a half but ceramics... ooh boy just keeps growing.

also bonus super8 of andy stott and friends is nice.

I like Actress b/c to me it sounds like what you would get if you mixed Plastikman and the game music from Ultima: Exodus for the NES. (I'm sure that helps.) I like the way the ducking combined with the low volumes of things (at least on R.I.P) gives the sound a dappled character and a sense of mystery, combined with a subtle drive of a house track. Also, one criterion I have for liking electronic music is if it only takes a couple of listens for certain sounds or little melodies to be forever embedded in my mind -- Plaid's Not For Threes was like that for me too. Another thing I like about R.I.P is when certain noises are put in that are off-key or just don't fit for some reason, yet in a way that is essential to establishing the track's overall mood. (I'll have to hunt for examples, though.)

I get the general idea that you can do two things at the same time, but my (annoying, I know) question is whether there is any sense to be made in the thought of doing it right or wrong, better or worse when it comes to music and drink -- I don't see what the 'rules' would be, according to which you would 'pair' them. Which is fine! As long as you don't claim to be saying anything intelligible when you say that a track and a beer 'go together' in any other way than entering your body at the same time.

1. Stott reminds me of Actress.

i thought the same thing when i first heard his new sound. after being a fan of merciless, it took me a while to warm-up to passed me by/we stay together, because my first thought was that he was chasing after actress, and i missed the claro intelecto influence of his older stuff.

after some time though, i think passed me by/we stay together is the best thing he's done. i can also understand why someone might prefer him over actress, even if they are similar.

I get the general idea that you can do two things at the same time, but my (annoying, I know) question is whether there is any sense to be made in the thought of doing it right or wrong, better or worse when it comes to music and drink -- I don't see what the 'rules' would be, according to which you would 'pair' them. Which is fine! As long as you don't claim to be saying anything intelligible when you say that a track and a beer 'go together' in any other way than entering your body at the same time.

Is there any sense to be made from drinking stout in the winter and saison in the summer? Is there any sense to be made by listening to reggae on the beach and boc in the snow? these themes are not so remote from each other. all that is required is some imagination and willingness to have fun. i had snow, stott, and stout working together when i made this thread and it definitely all clicked and made sense to me.

also i love both actress and stott, but have never considered them as similar. very interesting. stott is dance music. you feel stott in your loins. it almost most be played on a system with a subwoofer. actress is more cerebral. hits the high range more. has more doodles and squiggles. i wouldn't bother listening to stott on my laptop, actress i would have no problem listening to on my laptop. i would consider stott dark. i would not consider actress dark. i can shake the leaves out of my gutter with stott, i cannot do so with actress.

in conclusion, actress is black IPA music.

Is there any sense to be made from drinking stout in the winter and saison in the summer? Is there any sense to be made by listening to reggae on the beach and boc in the snow? these themes are not so remote from each other. all that is required is some imagination and willingness to have fun. i had snow, stott, and stout working together when i made this thread and it definitely all clicked and made sense to me.

also i love both actress and stott, but have never considered them as similar. very interesting. stott is dance music. you feel stott in your loins. it almost most be played on a system with a subwoofer. actress is more cerebral. hits the high range more. has more doodles and squiggles. i wouldn't bother listening to stott on my laptop, actress i would have no problem listening to on my laptop. i would consider stott dark. i would not consider actress dark. i can shake the leaves out of my gutter with stott, i cannot do so with actress.

*convinced*

Once you talked about the snow, I got it. Just, straight music-to-beer I was having trouble with. But now I get it!

In fact, I think I like super-bitter IPAs for the same reason I like thrash metal. Just fucking POWER innit. Rust In Peace + 90 Minute mothafuckaaaaaaa

I wonder if Parabola would go with "Parabola" ... wait, has that joke already been made upthread?

i love andy stott and hate stout, so i instead enjoyed my andy stott with an ice cold glass of pineapple juice and a bacon butty. did the trick. whatever the trick was.

i have actually been loving stott so much i have started doing 100bpm warmup dj sets simply so that i can incorporate his music in seamlessly.

I wonder if Parabola would go with "Parabola" ... wait, has that joke already been made upthread?

I don't know but I'm going to try as soon as humanly possible

I'm surprised I haven't heard many Stott imitators, his style seems awfully easy to imitate with the right touch. I heard a lot of Dilla/flylo imitators a few years back on the forum and imo that style is a lot harder to nail down right.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived