IGNORED

Weird traditions from your local area

Soloman Tump

Ok so over May Bank Holiday weekend I saw a load of Morris dancing, played "Aunt Sally", and wanted to go see the cheese rolling but couldn't make it over.

Prepare for LOL and also a painful ending....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMd4kPnQ0DE

Apparently it is no longer a proper cheese wheel due to health and safety, they use a foam version of a cheese because it rolls a bit slower and is less likely to concuss you if it hits you. Still, proper carnage. One of the winners this year flew over from the states to take part, hardcore.

Aunt Sally is an Oxfordshire based pub game where you have to knock a ball off a spike (a bit like that coconut game) although you have to use a rounders like stick - more info here!

It is basically a drinking related ritual.

And I guess you know what Morris dancing is, but my village has a lot of it and is known as being one of the birthplaces for some reason....

I wanna hear your local weird traditions, go

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finns like to revel on how eccentric we are, so there are some weird sports around here.

Swamp soccer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It9kBjW_nQs

Wife carrying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52-omtSBws8

Whatever..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ampOhYElX-I&list=UUSYlLE6a_Tmom-b4p8OSAhA&index=15

Black Pete.

And then there's a thing which is more local to a few towns including the one where I grew up. It's called the "hanekap" which means as much as rooster chop. Every year at Carnival they tie up a dead rooster and people take turns swinging a sabre at it blindfolded. The winner or "king of carnival" is the person who chops the rooster's head off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E9amvJ23uE

Ok so over May Bank Holiday weekend I saw a load of Morris dancing, played "Aunt Sally", and wanted to go see the cheese rolling but couldn't make it over.

Prepare for LOL and also a painful ending....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMd4kPnQ0DE

Apparently it is no longer a proper cheese wheel due to health and safety, they use a foam version of a cheese because it rolls a bit slower and is less likely to concuss you if it hits you. Still, proper carnage. One of the winners this year flew over from the states to take part, hardcore.

Aunt Sally is an Oxfordshire based pub game where you have to knock a ball off a spike (a bit like that coconut game) although you have to use a rounders like stick - more info here!

It is basically a drinking related ritual.

And I guess you know what Morris dancing is, but my village has a lot of it and is known as being one of the birthplaces for some reason....

I wanna hear your local weird traditions, go

Holy shitting christ, look at his leg!!! That's fucking mental - and also hilarious.

There isn't much in the way of tradition like that in Liverpool. Getting leathered and talking about football maybe.

Where I come from in Devon there are a number of weird local customs. My favorite is tar barrels whihc takes place on 5th November.

Basically the locals get drunk adn then set fire to massive barrels of tar which they then carry around on their backs. It's ace.

In the same town there is another weird local tradition called Pixie Day where all the local kids dress up and run through the town.

The adults throw pennies at them (they used to be hot pennies but that was stopped due to health and safety issues).

Also, in Lyme Regis (technically in Dorset but near my home town still) the local emergency services play human skittles with a conger eel attahced to a lamp post. I'm afraid I can't find any footage of this on youtube. They basically have to knock the other team over with the massive eel.

Where I come from in Devon there are a number of weird local customs. My favorite is tar barrels whihc takes place on 5th November.

Also, in Lyme Regis (technically in Dorset but near my home town still) the local emergency services play human skittles with a conger eel attahced to a lamp post. I'm afraid I can't find any footage of this on youtube. They basically have to knock the other team over with the massive eel.

Whereabouts are you originally from, before moving up to London for my job I lived all my life in Seaton - must've been close, Axminster or Sidmouth maybe ?

Whereabouts are you originally from, before moving up to London for my job I lived all my life in Seaton - must've been close, Axminster or Sidmouth maybe ?

Holy crap! I'm from Seaton. What are the odds?

Black Pete.

And then there's a thing which is more local to a few towns including the one where I grew up. It's called the "hanekap" which means as much as rooster chop. Every year at Carnival they tie up a dead rooster and people take turns swinging a sabre at it blindfolded. The winner or "king of carnival" is the person who chops the rooster's head off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E9amvJ23uE

thats horrible. you sick fucks.

Yeah, I've never been, and as a child I used to think they did it with a live rooster and imagined it to be a fair bit more gruesome than it already is.

I have to say though, having watched my granddad slaughter many a pigeon in his day, this is comparatively tame, but I guess it's the needlessness and drunken marginality of it all that's so off-putting.

Lol @ the cheese rolling and frantic cries of 'GET THE CHEESE!'. Some of these are awesome, it's crazy how much regional variation there is in the UK in terms of insane local pastimes.

Unfortunately I can't think of any weird traditions from Norn Iron that don't end up degenerating into a riot sooner or later :sad:

we have the 6th of the june ladies day fair, where all the pikeys who bring the fair get nice and drunk and have fights with all the local neds. loads of fun.

its not really that weird but its good fun: Burning of the Clocks

its a winter solstice festival so I guess pagan(y) it only started in 93, good fun as a kid.

You walk though the town with lanterns that you make yourself and then when you get to the beach you throw them on a bonfire (although, I think they are stopping this now with health and safety)

Burning-The-Clocks-Festiv-003.jpg

There is also Lewes Bonfire:

Bonfire-procession-in-Lew-002.jpg

which has got crazy popular over the years, good fun to burn evil politicians etc

5153955412_be51db4591.jpg

They used to have barrels on fire rolling down the hill but they had to stop all that sort of fun when 80,000+ people starting turning up to a village that has 16,000 people there.

i've just moved so i'll have to read up on local traditions of my new town, i have no idea...

i moved from edinburgh where my favourite tradition is spitting on the heart of midlothian, it's funny to see normally repectable people spit nonchalantly as they walk by the heart...

The Heart of Midlothian on the Lawnmarket besides St Giles Kirk in Edinburgh, marks the site of the former entrance to the hated Tolbooth Jail.
This prison had occupied a very small space but stood five storeys high and with dungeons two storeys beneath. The conditions inside were notoriously poor. Some people died in the Tolbooth prison, not through being executed but simply from the conditions and they treatment they received at the hands of the Edinburgh Town Guard. The result was that both the Tollbooth Jail and the Town Guard were utterly despised by the citizens of Edinburgh.
Were that not enough, as it's name suggests, the Tollbooth was also an excise house where local taxes were collected. Many of the tax levies in old Edinburgh were extortionate, so the Tollbooth became hated for this reason as well.
For all the above reasons, the Tolbooth was so hated by the Edinburghers that they would spit on the door and utter curses as they passed, to show contempt for the building and the authority it represented but also for luck, in the hope they never ended up in the hated Tolbooth Jail.
The Tolbooth was demolished in 1817, having been replaced by the Calton Prison. When it was being demolished Sir Walter Scott bought the entrance door to the Tolbooth Jail and incorporated it into his new home, Abbotsford House, near Selkirk. In the following year, 1818, Scott published his novel Heart of Midlothian in which the Tolbooth Jail features prominently. With Scott's novels generating an enormous interest in all things Scottish and basically kicking off our tourist industry, it was in that same year that the Heart of Midlothian was first laid in setts in the street to mark it's former entrance. Tradition dies hard, and with the Tolbooth gone, the citizens then began spitting on the Heart of Midlothian in place of the door. As time went on this was done for luck, as it remains to be done unto this day.

154314012_98198b4c7b_z.jpg?zz=1

i was drinking my deadly '1 part buckfast, 1 part jaegermeister, and 1 part tequila' at the festival i went to over the weekend. that shit gets the job done.

incidently luke vibert killed it, and was a very pleasant dude.

i was drinking my deadly '1 part buckfast, 1 part jaegermeister, and 1 part tequila' at the festival i went to over the weekend. that shit gets the job done.

incidently luke vibert killed it, and was a very pleasant dude.

Vodka, Absinthe & Red Bull (known around these parts as VARB) does it for me.

The vodka hits you straight away, then you get the red bull buzz, then you get shit faced on absinthe. 3 pronged attack!

Archived