IGNORED

the great pyramid

Guest skibby

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest disparaissant

what blows my mind about the great pyramids is just how fucking old they are.

like, think about cleopatra. she's ancient, right? she lived ~2000 years ago. the great pyramid was built 2560 years before she lived. that shit was ancient when cleopatra motherfucking philopater the goddamn seventh was around.

what blows my mind about the great pyramids is just how fucking old they are.

like, think about cleopatra. she's ancient, right? she lived ~2000 years ago. the great pyramid was built 2560 years before she lived. that shit was ancient when cleopatra motherfucking philopater the goddamn seventh was around.

yeah to think that cleopatra is closer in history to us now that to the pyramids is really a noodle-baker.

Guest skibby
it would be cool if cows came from flying saucers, since there is no known evolutionary link to cows from previous species of animal.

source? yeah that would be cool, but im kind of suspicious.

the ancient hierarchy in egypt (who ordered the building of the pyramids using the flesh and bone of others) r vastly glorified and overrated imo. pharaohs and their public and private patrons were for the most part, beastly, covetous, perverted, powerhungery fools, not unlike the worst examples of abuse of power and genocide we r all familiar with today. the people of the egyptian countryside, however, r and were a beautiful people, but just like countless examples of the past, as well as in the world today; good hearted people invariably r taken advantage of by the lust and darkness of others.

The question of who labored to build them, and why, has long been part of their fascination. Rooted firmly in the popular imagination is the idea that the pyramids were built by slaves serving a merciless pharaoh. This notion of a vast slave class in Egypt originated in Judeo-Christian tradition and has been popularized by Hollywood productions like Cecil B. De Mille’s The Ten Commandments, in which a captive people labor in the scorching sun beneath the whips of pharaoh’s overseers. But graffiti from inside the Giza monuments themselves have long suggested something very different.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2003/07/who-built-the-pyramids-html

The question of who labored to build them, and why, has long been part of their fascination. Rooted firmly in the popular imagination is the idea that the pyramids were built by slaves serving a merciless pharaoh. This notion of a vast slave class in Egypt originated in Judeo-Christian tradition and has been popularized by Hollywood productions like Cecil B. De Mille’s The Ten Commandments, in which a captive people labor in the scorching sun beneath the whips of pharaoh’s overseers. But graffiti from inside the Giza monuments themselves have long suggested something very different.

I had the good fortune to go inside the Pyramid and Tut's tomb back in the 80s when it was still allowed. The pyramid construction is amazing, several crawl ways to different anti chambers, several of them fake to fool grave robbers. Once you reach the real anti chamber, it's an amazing 65 degrees Fahrenheit inside, natural air conditioning. Too bad future generations can't experience what I did, although the amount of excavation at Giza now is incredible. Hopefully the riots don't destroy it all.

so, i don't see why the evidence of meat food stuffs he has found in the area could not have been food provided for the more affluent population (an incredibly gluttonous hoard); but instead lehner makes the assumption that the laborers were the ones partaking? what evidence is there one way or the other? he seems to think the quality of the meat is evidence that the workers were treated well; were as i would be tempted to think that this is all-the-more evidence that it was indeed for royals. is the lack of dwellings not possible evidence that slaves were taken from surrounding areas and driven to labor without proper housing or care of any kind? i'm not entirely convinced one way or the other. the attempted resolution of this issue has relied more on guesswork than on actual knowledge or written evidence found in documents stemming from that ancient period. what documents were lost in the burning of the royal library of alexandria; i wonder?

I had the good fortune to go inside the Pyramid and Tut's tomb back in the 80s when it was still allowed. The pyramid construction is amazing, several crawl ways to different anti chambers, several of them fake to fool grave robbers. Once you reach the real anti chamber, it's an amazing 65 degrees Fahrenheit inside, natural air conditioning. Too bad future generations can't experience what I did, although the amount of excavation at Giza now is incredible. Hopefully the riots don't destroy it all.

I was inside the pyramid in the early 2000's when I was there, but it was restricted to to the early morning only. Well worth it. The big gallery before the King's chamber was quite impressive.

Guest skibby

what gets me is everybody wants to know, when and how, and ermagerd they haaave to know WHO, but few dare to ask why.

the great pyramid is a time capsule full of the maths, its simply unbelieve.

the pyramid movie i linked touches on these numbers: http://www.timstouse.com/EarthHistory/Egypt/GreatPyramid/interestingfacts.htm

yeah, how they did it is one thing, but the better question is rarely asked.

Archived