IGNORED

Waveforms

seed

ive seen this before and what I don't understand is why is he saying it's the waveform when it's not? It seems like more of a live visualization using very low resolution points to display like a faux waveform.

If he wanted to use the actual music i could see several ways to make it much more aesthetically pleasing while also not being misleading

the 'results' make almost no sense to me whatsoever, they seem purely aesthetic but not representative of the actual music at all

to me these prints are absolutely dull, i mean there is no relation to the named tracks at all. if it would be lets say michael jackson there would be no difference. also, they aren't even worth buying from an aesthetic approach, they are just bad designed.

this just looks like "hey look i'm sampling my waveforms at low sampling rates and paint my coordinate system as a circle".

you could achieve the same effect by making 4bit mp3s then look at the plot.

yeah these dont visualize anything, in any kind of meaningful way whatsoever. it's just a concept for prints that someone came up with, and to sell them tied them to classic electronic tracks. i guess that part of the idea was clever since apparently some of them have sold. just shows that people will buy anything if the name of something else that they idolize is attached to it even in some miniscule way, and the quality is to some sort of professional standard.

those waveforms are so meaningless i just had to post again. what a piece of shit. how many lines are there on a print? looks like a few hundred. but they jump all around as you go around the circle so that they are almost random. you could represent a saw or sine or triangle wave simply enough by having the lines gradually go up/down in their distance from the center as you moved around the circle. but by having the names of tracks there, it's supposed to somehow represent didgeridoo? what part? it can't be a specific sound from the track that's been isolated because you would need master tapes to get that. so it's just a random segment of the full mix of the track, with only a few hundred values/positions to represent it. if you zoom into a 44.1khz wav and look at samples, a couple of hundred samples is less than a hundredth of a second. you couldn't represent anything meaningful or recognizable from any track with just that small amount of data. as someone else said, any one of those prints could be of tiny tiny slivers of a waveform from any track that was ever encoded to digital format, but ultimately it's not a meaningful representation of anything. what a sham

its so bad its basically to the point of dishonest, because the person making those would be fully aware of what they are doing and how it really is totally arbitrary and that it makes no real sense to pass it off as having any even vague relation to those tracks. its just 'draw some IDM looking circles, put historic IDM track title references at bottom in IDM font under a line going straight across, all very IDM. sell prints. profit' and yes the design, the whole layout does look very 'idm' whatever that means, and maybe these things would almost be cool, if not trying to be passed off as something they arent.

edit- or is it supposed to represent RMS values going across the whole track from start to finish or something? that would ALMOST be some kind of meaningful representation of a track i guess, but still, no.

or even just those partial spectral readouts people were getting from Exai and Windowlicker. I was just trying to find some of those int he Exai thread to post as examples but gave up (watmm search engine blues)

dueds chill it's just paint on paper? illustration?

the guy probably makes it like that because he likes jow it looks, yes?

this is like complaining that Sonic Youth play their guitars in incorrect tunings.

(no I'm not comparing this dudes work with Sonic Youth's music.)

dueds chill it's just paint on paper? illustration?

the guy probably makes it like that because he likes jow it looks, yes?

this is like complaining that Sonic Youth play their guitars in incorrect tunings.

(no I'm not comparing this dudes work with Sonic Youth's music.)

no its not like that at all

i already said the idea likely started with a concept for something that the guy thought looked cool

then to sell them, he slapped idm track titles on them, which is essentially dishonest because those lines really have no meaningful connection to those tracks, and the guy knows it.

Archived