IGNORED

Audio terrorism

YangYing

Has it ever been done? and by it I mean like, someone hijacking say, Eurovision Song Contest and playing some Merzbow or some really ugly Harcore over the speakers? And if it hasn't been done, could someone pls do it? it would be funny.

There's one I can think of which is when KLF got asked to perform 3am Eternal at The Brits and they decided to do a slightly different version from the one I guess the execs originally expected -

The army turned to psychological warfare, blaring rock music at "deafening levels", gunning the engines of armoured vehicles against the Vatican fence, and setting fire to a neighboring field and bulldozing it to create a "helicopter landing zone".[8][9] Reportedly the song "I Fought The Law" by The Clash was played repeatedly.[10]

On December 27, the psychological warfare was turned over to the control of the 4th Psychological Operations Group of Special Operations Command.[8] The Holy See complained to President George H.W. Bush about actions of the American soldiers surrounding the embassy, and after three days, the rock music was stopped.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Nifty_Package#Encircling_the_Vatican_Embassy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_in_psychological_operations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gitmo_playlist

Check out the film "Sound of Noise"

Took a look at the trailer, looks awesome, will definitely watch it... someday.

It's on Netflix if you're into that..

I've always fantasized about making battery or solar powered generative music machines and hiding them in discreet, quiet, highly public areas as a kind of audio graffiti.

the gerogerigegege used to release a bunch of really limited records of theirs. one time they put out ads saying they were going to do a rare concert on the beach and sell some of their limited copies. a bunch of people went with the understanding this was going to be a great opportunity to grab some good stuff.

the concert however turned out to be the band burning a bunch of their records while the crowd looked on. during this, they told everyone the concert was over. what was salvaged was sold for about $500.

a few months later, the band put out a record which was limited to 1 copy and not for sale. supposedly they had the only copy, which they also claimed to have burned, this time- at a concert nobody was invited to.

Check out the film "Sound of Noise"

Took a look at the trailer, looks awesome, will definitely watch it... someday.

It's on Netflix if you're into that..

I've always fantasized about making battery or solar powered generative music machines and hiding them in discreet, quiet, highly public areas as a kind of audio graffiti.

-

great, the wife gets netflix. Ill check it out.

Also, great idea. Would love to hear stuff like this walking around a city. It would freak a lot of people out. Something with a microphone that responds to external sounds or feeds back a delayed or distorted version of reality.

at Gitmo and abu ghraib soldiers were told to blast loud music 24/7 to prevent detainees from sleeping. Jon Ronson did a TV special about this in his series 'Crazy rulers of the world'.

Yeah I forget which heavy metal/rock songs and even pop songs were used. It was certainly widespread post-9/11, there's no way to deny it but likewise it's hard to prove the extent of it, which is likely widespread and common now (maybe not 24/7 but certainly looped songs for hours on end).

No idea if it's done now considering the fact that so many "enhanced interrogation" techniques stemmed from it, but during the SERE (Survival,_Evasion,_Resistance_and_Escape) training my father went through in the late 80s (as all aircrew in the USAF are required to do) he mentioned a part where they had to do physical labor as a loop of a spoken word poem played over and over again. (He was a navigator on C-130s) Since it was part of hypothetical POW conditions air force personal could face in combat, it just hammers in the fact that playing music or other audio in such a manner has likely been used as a torture method by many people long before the War on Terror shed light on it.

most idm 2013

but oh my god seriously that is an amazing idea

http://www.factmag.com/2013/10/29/britney-spears-songs-scare-off-somali-pirates-says-british-merchant-navy-officer/

In today’s “you have got to be kidding me” news, a British merchant navy officer has revealed that ships operating off the coast of Somalia have been blasting out Britney Spears hits to deter attacks from pirates.

According to Second Officer Rachel Owens, who works on supertankers in the region, ‘Baby One More Time’ and ’Oops I Did It Again’ have proved most effective at keeping kidnap attempts at bay.

‘[britney's] songs were chosen by the security team because they thought the pirates would hate them most,” she told the Metro. “These guys can’t stand Western culture or music, making Britney’s hits perfect.”

“It’s so effective the ship’s security rarely needs to resort to firing guns,” she added. “As soon as the pirates get a blast of Britney, they move on as quickly as they can.”

most idm 2013

additional suggestion for said amazing idea, put these devices inside urban resonant chambers like storm drain pipes, inside hollowed out trees, trash bins. Only problem is you probably couldnt solar power them in there. Let's seriously make this happen. The key would be to get something cheap enough in case it gets destroyed / damaged/ stolen where you could put your own sounds into it. You can find used minidisc machines for pretty cheap these days, it wouldnt be generative, but it could do seamless random shuffling with no delay. maybe use a solar powered doubleAA battery pack. What kind of speakers ?

most idm 2013

additional suggestion for said amazing idea, put these devices inside urban resonant chambers like storm drain pipes, inside hollowed out trees, trash bins. Only problem is you probably couldnt solar power them in there. Let's seriously make this happen. The key would be to get something cheap enough in case it gets destroyed / damaged/ stolen where you could put your own sounds into it. You can find used minidisc machines for pretty cheap these days, it wouldnt be generative, but it could do seamless random shuffling with no delay. maybe use a solar powered doubleAA battery pack. What kind of speakers ?

It seems like in order for this to really work and last, the sounds would have to relate to the environment somehow. That's what made the generative idea seem so perfect - the device and generative software would play off of the natural/day to day ambience of its location.

Or perhaps even just recording base samples at the location, manipulating them however seems fit and then placing the device. Just as long as the sounds don't stand out massively.

I used to geocache as a kid so I actually know the ins and outs of small, waterproof containers pretty well. One would have to keep their local bomb sweeps in mind too if they wanted the thing to last.

I have no clue about speakers though. I'll keep this whole idea in mind over the next few weeks.

Guest RadarJammer

it would be fun to plant a network of speaker devices around rooftops in the city so it sounds like a new kind of strange bug/bird has invaded but just out of sight

most idm 2013

It seems like in order for this to really work and last, the sounds would have to relate to the environment somehow. That's what made the generative idea seem so perfect - the device and generative software would play off of the natural/day to day ambience of its location.

Or perhaps even just recording base samples at the location, manipulating them however seems fit and then placing the device. Just as long as the sounds don't stand out massively.

I used to geocache as a kid so I actually know the ins and outs of small, waterproof containers pretty well. One would have to keep their local bomb sweeps in mind too if they wanted the thing to last.

I have no clue about speakers though. I'll keep this whole idea in mind over the next few weeks.

Great suggestions guys. I was thinking to maybe use a microcontroller or mini-computer with a speaker to play generative melodies. Not sure how to actually fit everything together - I know how to get an arduino generating some tones, but I don't know how to get it solar or even battery powered. Probably it's not too hard? Dunno! More brainstorming is in order for sure. Good call on placement in resonant chambers!

I feel like a Raspberry Pi would be good for this but I've never used one.

also- LOL @ that article joshuatx

Guest RadarJammer

most idm 2013

Great suggestions guys. I was thinking to maybe use a microcontroller or mini-computer with a speaker to play generative melodies. Not sure how to actually fit everything together - I know how to get an arduino generating some tones, but I don't know how to get it solar or even battery powered. Probably it's not too hard? Dunno! More brainstorming is in order for sure. Good call on placement in resonant chambers!

I feel like a Raspberry Pi would be good for this but I've never used one.

also- LOL @ that article joshuatx

yea you could hook it up to a usb battery pack thing and have it running puredata to its analog output

<p><a data-ipb="nomediaparse" href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Portable-Mini-Speaker-Amplifier-FM-Radio-USB-Micro-SD-TF-Card-MP3-Player-/181180441263?pt=US_Audio_Docks_Mini_Speakers&hash=item2a2f3222af">http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Portable-Mini-Speaker-Amplifier-FM-Radio-USB-Micro-SD-TF-Card-MP3-Player-/181180441263?pt=US_Audio_Docks_Mini_Speakers&hash=item2a2f3222af</a><br />

<br />

this might be a good and cheap solution if you can abandon the generative idea. If you could just make a bunch of strange mp3s with very long gaps of silence and have it shuffle them off a micro SD card.  Looks like for $10 you get the speaker and player, you'd just need to supply a micro SD card and a USB solar charger. Could end up costing $30-40 total if you find cheap enough components. <br />

<br />

This approach would make sense if you want to plant a lot of these in different locations. <br />

If you have a good hiding spot in mind for something more pricey like a raspberry or an arduino, i'm sure it wouldn't take much to give this idea a real world test.  </p>

Archived