IGNORED

"Cop Murders Unarmed Civilian" Thread

LimpyLoo

Guest fiznuthian

Well if you've never lived in a place in the U.S. that has a particularly bad problem with misbehaving police you probably wouldn't understand the animosity. Truthfully, you're right. It's hard to generalize them all, and yes there are a lot of very honest and helpful officers here. Unfortunately, the only safe approach to dealing with police is to not trust any of them. I don't think it is appropriate to let poor behavior slide by.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no one's giving cops a pass on poor behaviour, I just question the tone being set by this thread (really it's the goddamn title that bothers me the most, shit belongs on a tabloid frontpage).

no one's giving cops a pass on poor behaviour, I just question the tone being set by this thread (really it's the goddamn title that bothers me the most, shit belongs on a tabloid frontpage).

The cop culture and cop behavior in the USA is an extension of the failed corpo-controlled government, and is by design an oppression inducing apparatus that divides the country, destroys liberty, infringes upon the founding principles, and contributes to the demise of the species. It should be treated with the utmost contempt until those responsible for the egregious wrongdoings have felt retribution, and the course of the ship is corrected.

The tone is necessary as radical movement is the only way to quickly make change especially against long standing entrenched institutions. Every cop who so much as turns a blind eye, fails to speak out, and silently enforces the illegal laws contributing to large scale infringement of civil liberties is guilty.

Guest fiznuthian

The shitty cop problem also seems to be mostly rural and town problems. Small cities too I guess. From what I understand, police have a lot more to deal with in large cities and so they tend not to bother people as much.

The shitty cop problem also seems to be mostly rural and town problems. Small cities too I guess. From what I understand, police have a lot more to deal with in large cities and so they tend not to bother people as much.

In large American cities it can depend on what neighborhood you're in and what race. Cops in New York and Philadelphia seem to have a whole lot of free time on their hands when it comes to throwing brown people against walls for no particular reason. I get the sense places like LA and Chicago are pretty much the same. I know of cops in both NY and Philly who've been convicted of rape recently, as well.

Guest fiznuthian

In large American cities it can depend on what neighborhood you're in and what race. Cops in New York and Philadelphia seem to have a whole lot of free time on their hands when it comes to throwing brown people against walls for no particular reason. I get the sense places like LA and Chicago are pretty much the same. I know of cops in both NY and Philly who've been convicted of rape recently, as well.

Well shit. :(

Well if you've never lived in a place in the U.S. that has a particularly bad problem with misbehaving police you probably wouldn't understand the animosity. Truthfully, you're right. It's hard to generalize them all, and yes there are a lot of very honest and helpful officers here. Unfortunately, the only safe approach to dealing with police is to not trust any of them. I don't think it is appropriate to let poor behavior slide by.

And cops should, in an ideal society, be the squeekiest clean people on the planet. But in America they seem to be among the most corrupt.

There are counterexamples - my friend's roommate in NYC was beat up outside and called a faggot outside of a gay bar last week. For whatever reason, he waited until today to go to the cops, and they sent 3 officers to investigate the scene with a detective, getting footage from nearby security cams, etc.

In a way I blame the news. There are so many problems with the way information is distributed. You won't hear about the good stuff. You also only hear fleetingly about police budgets being slashed, forcing departments to take younger, more marginal members. It's a shitty job and there's very little reward for doing it well.

I think the best course of action is adding police oversight and reforming bad policies like Stop & Frisk. Bad police shouldn't have badges & guns. And I have no idea how to break up old boys' shitty cop clubs in the South, which are their own special corner of hell. But I feel like the news makes everything into Us & Them and somehow profits from divisions in humanity. Good people, bad people; good cops, bad cops; it's the same thing.

There are counterexamples - my friend's roommate in NYC was beat up outside and called a faggot outside of a gay bar last week. For whatever reason, he waited until today to go to the cops, and they sent 3 officers to investigate the scene with a detective, getting footage from nearby security cams, etc.

In a way I blame the news. There are so many problems with the way information is distributed. You won't hear about the good stuff. You also only hear fleetingly about police budgets being slashed, forcing departments to take younger, more marginal members. It's a shitty job and there's very little reward for doing it well.

I think the best course of action is adding police oversight and reforming bad policies like Stop & Frisk. Bad police shouldn't have badges & guns. And I have no idea how to break up old boys' shitty cop clubs in the South, which are their own special corner of hell. But I feel like the news makes everything into Us & Them and somehow profits from divisions in humanity. Good people, bad people; good cops, bad cops; it's the same thing.

No, any cop who isn't working to correct the illegal activity within their own organization. Any cop who is enforcing unjust laws like drugs laws is part of the problem. There are no good cops. There are cops that do good things, but by the very nature of their maintaining employment they are perpetuating the problem.

Guest fiznuthian

So lately my hydroponics and aquaculture hobby has fired up again, especially with summer coming up. In the past I had attempted to start a small club on Craigslist (lol) and had a few people interested but i let it go when no one would respond. This time around i'm contemplating starting a Facebook group to try and cultivate (lol) interest in a club again. I know there's a lot of agricultural enthusiasts locally and i'm surprised one hasn't started already.

But in the back of my mind I can't help but wonder what might happen to me. Police forces around the country have made habits of monitoring hydroponic shops and their customers. I can see why I guess, considering a lot of them still think pot is evil. At the same time, concerns about water and resources have garnered interest from ag-types in water based growing techniques. Then I read about incidents like this where police not only raid a person's indoor garden, but they destroy their work in the progress with no consequence.

My local police force are sharks who arrest more non-violence "criminal" pot smokers and growers that any other. Our court system is absolutely flooded with offenses. Like I mentioned before, my punishment for possession years ago was being sent to a class where all but one person was there because of weed. Sorry to bring the awful trolls thread into this discussion, but the growing concern for surveillance and things like the patriot act has me seriously concerned about my future hobby and career.

I'm applying for a job at a hydroponic vegetable farm that's under construction.. It's my dream to work at a farm like this, and I hope to develop my hobby at home too. Will I end up getting raided some day, and will my dog get shot in the face? :mellow:

I disagree, A/D. It's not sampling bias or selection bias or confirmation bias or anything. I think the NYPD, for example, is corrupt on the whole. It's really not just a few bad apples.

Well, I agree that there are bad policies in place, but I don't know about corrupt as a whole. If police did more harm than good, I don't think they'd be allowed to exist.

Guest fiznuthian

I think until the drug war on cannabis ends it's safe to say there are a lot of departments doing more harm than good out there.

No, any cop who isn't working to correct the illegal activity within their own organization. Any cop who is enforcing unjust laws like drugs laws is part of the problem. There are no good cops. There are cops that do good things, but by the very nature of their maintaining employment they are perpetuating the problem.

fail.

*jetpacks out*

hahaha, yeah, that's a little much.

I will say, as an individual, I have seen more deplorable police behavior that I have seen benevolent police behavior. I have had friends tackled and zip-tied in their own back yard because a neighbor reported seeing people outside the house they didn't recognize. We were having a Bar-b-cue for fucks sake. The cops in that instance also drew weapons, entered the house with no warrant or knock and made us all lay down on the ground to be zip-tied. I have been searched illegally on multiple occasions for little to no reason. I was stopped on Thanksgiving of last year because I had a headlight out and then was forced to do a sobriety test and be submitted to a K-9 search without my consent.. which resulted in nothing other than a 'don't drive with a headlight out' warning. I watched a bunch of SPD cops beat the ever living shit out of some homeless dudes resisting to leave the front of the 7-11 by my work and throw them in a big-ass paddywagon. My friend died in a county lock-up when he turned himself in for a 2 year old possession of cannabis charge to rid his record of it. The prison staff refused to believe he had a health issue and he died because some asshole didn't want to contact help. Don't believe me on that one? Look at the last page and watch the video of him dying after multiple attempts to get help.

While I don't agree with some of the hardcore sayings in this thread from some members, I do feel there is a growing epidemic in this country of fucked up police brutality, discrimination and belittling. Usagi, you don't live in the USA, it's different here in some places. I don't know the cops down under, but I seriously doubt there are this many incidences of cops killing civilians or being corrupt per capita in your country and also, I doubt that your countries police forces are as militarized or retrofitted as the ones in the land of the brave. Even small town cops around here have dodge chargers with the full nine yards in body work and multiple shotguns in the back.

Well, I agree that there are bad policies in place, but I don't know about corrupt as a whole. If police did more harm than good, I don't think they'd be allowed to exist.

you fucking brownshirt, fascism-apologizing piece of shit, how dare you question the undeniable fact that 99.9999% of american cops are completely corrupt and serve monsanto and other corporations ?!!1

Oh cool thanks for coming Eug, I can feel the level of discourse just elevating all the time

Sorry Audioblysyk ]: I don't mean to belittle any of that with what I said. There are deep problems with creating a class of people that are both an underclass and an overclass - poorly paid pawns, top-down structure with political & corporate overlords, but at the same time given guns and power of arrest over ordinary people.

I imagine the world would suck more if they didn't exist, though - someone with no oversight could be committing the same random acts of violence. Sadly, the lesser of two evils, in my opinion.

Yeah that dude is obviously dead that entire time. He doesn't move and then they prop him up with their legs. It's disgusting.

Archived