IGNORED

Is breakcore coming back?

YangYing

So, I have been following the hardcore scene for a few years now and I am noticing that there are more and more artists implementing the amen break in their tracks.

ex:

@2:18:

http://youtu.be/JhMIHnxFxgo

@3:18 @5:20 and several other places:

http://youtu.be/Y0nMXy8BSCE

So my reasoning here is, if the amen becomes a core-element in modern hardcore production, I think it could lead to a renaissance of breakcore (again)

I mean, that's what breakcore is isn't it? gabber kicks and amen breaks! :derp:

why? because the hardcore scene is quite massive, I could imagine it coming back... I would love it to, really loved the "genre" some years ago when it was "big".

Is this just rambling speculation or is there some chance of this actually happening?

edit: can't embed videos, fuck.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope someone does something interesting with it this time. It got stale as fuck when I was hanging around warehouse parties in Sydney in '04. The same breaks, the same bass synths, predictable samples, etc..

I think the only one that's still doing and was doing interesting, new, awesome, breakcore was Snares. And yeah he's been quiet these past couple of years aside from Fool The Detector and Affectionate EP.

If anyone can match his level in creating some interesting breakcore then yeah I'd love that. But if it's just gona be a bunch of boring people making boring breakbeats mainly using the amen then I rather not have that.

I think the only one that's still doing and was doing interesting, new, awesome, breakcore was Snares. And yeah he's been quiet these past couple of years aside from Fool The Detector and Affectionate EP.

If anyone can match his level in creating some interesting breakcore then yeah I'd love that. But if it's just gona be a bunch of boring people making boring breakbeats mainly using the amen then I rather not have that.

yeah, we might get shitty "post-breakcore" there is interesting stuff being made... It's just not as popular anymore...

tbh I'd be happy if I never hear the amen break again. Except in Squarepusher tracks. He's the only one who can actually make interesting stuff with it.

You're wrong. I know that's your opinion, but it's just wrong.

V snares does some incredible things with the amen break (my half, moonglow, etc).

Aphex Twin does some incredible things with it too. See, 80% of his back catalogue.

Shit, I've heard the amen in your music too. Are you saying your music isn't interesting?

80% of RDJ's back catalogue, what? I've only ever heard it in probably two of his tracks.

And yeah, I've used it before, but the last time was over 10 years ago.. and that was a joke track!

V snares does some incredible things with the amen break (my half, moonglow, etc).

Aphex Twin does some incredible things with it too. See, 80% of his back catalogue.

Shit, I've heard the amen in your music too. Are you saying your music isn't interesting?

I agree with this.

It's a cool drum loop, I would definetly love to hear it some more.

Breakcore is one of the worse uses of the amen, call me when 95-96 style drum and bass comes back.

Jungle? Jungle is dead man, I'd be fucking stoked if (proper) Jungle comes back. But u kno, like what u have.

Breakcore is one of the worse uses of the amen, call me when 95-96 style drum and bass comes back.

Jungle? Jungle is dead man, I'd be fucking stoked if (proper) Jungle comes back. But u kno, like what u have.

Yes! I really really really wanna go to a jungle rave and flail around like I'm demented.

Yes! I really really really wanna go to a jungle rave and flail around like I'm demented.

:beer:

I agree with this.

It's a cool drum loop, I would definetly love to hear it some more.

Yeah jungle without the ragga element, ragga jungle can get tiring, I can only hear bloodcaat and bumdoclaat so many times. Breakcore became popular because the crowds need for fucked up amens is always there.

The hardcore stuff is called Crossbreed as in a crossbreed between Hardcore and Hard D&B..is different from Breakcore as is still based around harcore 4x4 kicks but with snares chucked in for good measure! Aint really purist amen mashing breakcore but guess the 2 are linked

Back in late 90's early 2000's the hardcore scene played quite a bit of breakcore but it tended to turn some people off as wasnt as dancefloor friendly, this crossbreed stuff seems to be more popular as tends to be easier to dance to and has more of a straight up hardcore techno vibe.

Thats my take on it anyway but to be honest i havent really kept up properly with developments in hardcore over the past few years. If your into this sound check out The outside Agency (they pretty much invented it) also Deathmachine has made some really good crossbreed

The mix below is a nice little intro to this sound

Remember someone on another board writing something like "Breakcore is to Jungle what Crossbreed is to Hard D&B".

which kinda makes sense lots of hardcore dj that play the crossbreed stuff start of sets now with some hard D&B like Limewax, Current Value etc and this sound has more in common with that sort of sound than breakcore

I can't use the quote function (is broken for me) so just replying here. To clarify my post in referring to aphex twin's back catalogue. I just mean his back catalogue is highly derivative of the amen break. Can't think of many songs where he used it exactly other than q chastic maybe.

I was drunk when I wrote that so maybe didn't spell it out enough for you Ludd.

A1 and B1 of q chastic come to mind immediately.

Then all of the drill n bass stuff is just derivative of the amen. IE HAB, parts of rdj album etc.

Edit: also lol I've never heard that run the place red song, thanks for that mr.

Archived