IGNORED

Paco De Lucia Dead

LimpyLoo

Its super happy music. RIP

I think this is pretty shitty actually. I'm not even trying to be a dick or anything.

The stuff limpy posted is a bit better.

Yeah I was never blown away by Paco's band stuff. It always seemed like a failed experiment to me, especially in the 70's when it seemed like it was legally required for an electric bass to be present in the room at all times. Alot of jazzers did the same thing with similar results.

Part of it for me is the inherent shittiness of the sound quality of picking around like that on an acoustic. If he were on an electric it could be a lot nicer. even then I think it lacks focus on composition and has too much emphasis on walking around the fretboard.

Part of it for me is the inherent shittiness of the sound quality of picking around like that on an acoustic. If he were on an electric it could be a lot nicer. even then I think it lacks focus on composition and has too much emphasis on walking around the fretboard.

Well I hate to take the side of the purist but the acoustic (flamenco, specifically) guitar is integral to flamenco music in the way a kick drum is integral to house music. Many of the techniques of flamenco (e.g. golpe) can't even be performed on an electric guitar (well, they can be performed but not heard). Many of the technical nuances like--dynamics or timbre--simply wouldn't be noticable on an electric. It is the same with an acoustic piano versus a Fender Rhodes: the Rhodes is a beautiful instrument but it doesn't have the nuance of an acoustic piano.

I just think the rawness and nuance and intimacy of flamenco requires a flamenco guitar. And I'm only really taking a faux-purist stance because there happens to be--in my eyes--aesthetic merit to the tradition of flamenco. Paco was a great destroyer of tradition. He got booed by purist audiences for his posture and his experimental treatment of the traditional flamenco forms. But he retained the aspects of flamenco that make aesthetic sense to him.

Anyway...

p.s. I can't emphasize the importance of timbre and tone enough. So much so that a flamenco guitarist's life revolves around the well-being of his fingernails. I studied flamenco guitar for about a year, and I ultimately gave up because my tone sucked on account of my shitty fingernails that I've been biting since I was 7.

That and the golpe (tapping the pickguard with your fingernail while you strum).

RIP. not listened to a great deal of the man's work but definitely had some appreciation.

[youtubehd]89zM9pZzt0U[/youtubehd]

this is actually my favourite shred of all time.

Ugh, I spent practically all of high school listening to Paco and forcing my Spanish language class to listen to Paco. RIP.

Also: yes, that is the best shred.

Also: the second guitar trio album from 1996 was a lot better than the wanky original one:

this album was basically on infinite repeat while I was studying for the SATs way back in the old timey days

p.s. I can't emphasize the importance of timbre and tone enough. So much so that a flamenco guitarist's life revolves around the well-being of his fingernails. I studied flamenco guitar for about a year, and I ultimately gave up because my tone sucked on account of my shitty fingernails that I've been biting since I was 7.

That and the golpe (tapping the pickguard with your fingernail while you strum).

I understand where you are coming from but that track specifically I don't like it. I enjoy the two you posted a great deal more.

I think this is pretty shitty actually. I'm not even trying to be a dick or anything.

lol shut up trent ur an idiot

lol shut up trent ur an idiot

Come on man. It's the equivalent of a techno track that only has changes in melody and has a continuous percussion track. They are great sometimes, but they have to be perfect. Might as well just turn on a metronome or something. I just agree to disagree.

Archived