IGNORED

That Michael Jackson "hologram" at the BMA last night

kokoon

What the hell? It was obviously just some guy prancing around. I may very well be wrong, but from the youtube video that I saw, I don't think there was any "Michael Jackson", nor any " hologram" going on on that stage...

Instead of spending mad dowlaz on CGI and motion capture, it looks like they just filmed a dancer with MJ prosthetics for face, then "hologram" da whole deal, using whatever retarded projection technique.

Guest Gary C

Definitely an impersonator and not a hologram but a life-size video.

I should imagine that they had to motion-cap someone doing all those dance moves, and intended to CGI Jackson's face on it. But when they looked for a MJ dancer they were probably, by his label, given access to a lookalike too. And then, it was like, "Fuck the CGI. He looks like Jacko anyway and it'll cost a tonne to drop a crappy animation over his face. It's from a distance, fuck it."

Et voila.

Guest Gary C
Really odd... Also, why was the audience facing away from the stage at the end?

lol, well spotted. What a weird event. Bet it was a terrible atmosphere in there.

Hologram looks like a white guy in his late 20s. Great work.

Really odd... Also, why was the audience facing away from the stage at the end?

lol, well spotted. What a weird event. Bet it was a terrible atmosphere in there.

Yeah, these industry circlejerkathons come across as ersatz, crooked spectacles at the best of times.

I once made the mistake of sitting as an audience member for the San Francisco residency of 'America's Got Talent'. It was a searing agony of an experience: a commercially calculated agglomerate of ego and wholesale American cultural ephemera at its most base... They even timed the 'All-American Male-Nurse who dreamed of being a Pro Tenor but couldn't because he knocked up his Highschool sweetheart when they were teenagers and had to work multiple jobs while taking nightclasses then fought in Iraq for 4 years and lost a leg' guy for the very end after all the clowns, dancers and G-rated comedians for, presumably, maximum emotional impact. After an overwrought, platitudinous intro for the guy it didn't matter whether he could sing at all; as soon as he opened his mouth the audience spasmed upright for an unremitting standing-ovation that served to mute his 'performance'... I couldn't take it any longer and proceeded to abandon my friends and family at the event and contemplate engineering a boobytrap at the doors to kill everyone in the audience as they left the building.

Ugh, do we live in Idiocracy yet? Why are people using the term "hologram" (which denotes a really cool, already existing technology) to refer to this (which is not a cool technology, but is a projection technique used in shows at Universal Studios theme parks)?

*Points to reflections on glass* "Hey guys, I'ma howogwam now!" FUCK.

We're doomed.

Haven't watched the video yet. I don't know if my cardiovascular system can handle that much stoopid all at once.

I nearly died of a stoopid attack with the Tupac SFX.

Thanks, I watched it. Now I'm almost dead.

What the fuck?! It's even lamer than the Tupac special effect: it's just a fucking TV screen!? A TV SCREEN?! And it got a standing ovation?! And the presenters called it a "live historic event"?!

*I die"

Guest Gary C

I still can't fathom why the crowd are facing away from the stage at the end.

Were they watching something else on a stage behind them the whole time? Or were they instructed to rehearse the ending's cheer and it was filmed from different angles, presumably just to keep the Jacko animation in there. Or God, was it a fucked-up selfie abomination?

"Gidjur selfie with Jacko's ghost, only at Universal Studios!"

I can't expect anything else but I'm also a little let-down that the impersonator's routine was to simply move from one famous Jacko dance to another. There wasn't much else in there. But whatever, that's all you can do with a dead man's repertoire, I guess.

Uhm... it's not Michael Jackson.

Also, someone point me to the point in time where this stops being a 2d projection and starts being a hologram. Looks flat as fuck in all the angled shots.

Archived