IGNORED

ISIS!

spunktronics

thank god no real full fledged ISIS attack has happened yet in the United States, I say thank god because after that we're all going to be a lot fucking dumber. If you miss what 9/12/01 felt like you're in for a treat

so like...what is to be done about ISIS?

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

them be too busy prayin when they need to be figuring out how to turn that sand green

There is a hypothesis that worldwide oil dependance is preventing the Middle East from needing to modernize. That is, if suddenly nobody wanted oil, and thus they needed to advance to compete economically, some of these issues would go away (as a sorta bi-product).

no pun intended, but...well actually it's intended: those buildings are already heavily ruined! *badum tshh*

Imagine if people stopped believing that violence would get you this big juicy supernatural reward?

in all truth it probably wouldn't change a goddam thing, you really think religion is the reason why human commit insane atrocities on eachother? think again

Imagine if people stopped believing that violence would get you this big juicy supernatural reward?

in all truth it probably wouldn't change a goddam thing, you really think religion is the reason why human commit insane atrocities on eachother? think again

it is one reason among many

i mean, ISIS certainly isn't a reaction to US foreign policy

i mean, if you belong to a cult

who worships a holy book

that says all non-believers should die

and you kill a non-believer or two

it's probably not a coincidence

if the book says adulterers should die

and you publicly execute adulterers

that's not a coincidence

and it's certainly not a reaction to US Policy

Religion is a great motivator and organizational tool. It also has the added bonus of encouraging the suspension of rational thought.

Curious, why do you think humans commit atrocities against other humans?

I'm not saying that religion is the one decisive factor btw.

who worships a holy book

that's not a coincidence

Lol hi limpy.

I tend to just think there's a subset of people who just enjoy carnage and destruction the way normal people enjoy fucking and driving fast. If they can't do it in the name of religion, they'll do it in the name of politics or race or tribe or______. I think.... *shrugs*.

Member of ISIS?

There's a 99% chance you've had problems with the ladies throughout most of your life. Your sexual frustrations are immense and are expressed in absolute depravity and murderous perversion.

The benefits of joining an organization like ISIS?

72 virgins in heaven (your lady troubles are a thing of the past)

YOU WIN

also... jews

who worships a holy book

that's not a coincidence

Lol hi limpy.

i'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you were being somewhat flippant here but i feel compelled to say that this is a really facile view of how both religion and modern warfare operate. i can't imagine you've given much thought to the situation if you stand behind this view.

who worships a holy book

that's not a coincidence

Lol hi limpy.

i'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you were being somewhat flippant here but i feel compelled to say that this is a really facile view of how both religion and modern warfare operate. i can't imagine you've given much thought to the situation if you stand behind this view.

i was of course being flippant

but anyway my point was that if you think religion isn't responsible for countless horrors

then you've got some 'splainin' to do

so, for instance:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/10/22/syrian-woman-accused-of-adultery-pleads-for-forgiveness-from-her-father-he-finally-caves-then-helps-militants-stone-her-to-death/

it appears that this man--

in stoning his own daughter to death--

is carrying out what he believes God's wishes to be

if you think that isn't so

then the burden is on you to explain it

but as it stands

all the evidence points to 'religious maniac acting on his twisted beliefs'

edit:

of course 'religion' is not a monolith

the way 'sports' or 'food' aren't

("are sports dangerous? is food harmful?")

so specifically what i mean

is 'people's beliefs about how the world works'

people will act in accordance with their beliefs about the world

to the exact extant that they believe them

so if a paranoid schizophrenic believes that they will be shot in the head if they go outside

regardless of whether that's actually true

he will act accordingly and not go outside

so will a father

who worships a god that happens to hate adultery

stone his daughter to death for adultery

again, if you think there is another explanation

like socio-economics or mental illness or whatever

then the burden is on you

to explain why he appears to be acting in perfect accordance with his professed beliefs

i suppose my response probably falls somewhat into the "so what?" category. like, why isolate these kind of incidents in particular? sure, they're despicable and disgusting and quite obviously religious beliefs have often brought out exactly such revolting and violent shit from people throughout history...but is this really our most dangerous threat? stoning people? i don't think so.

imo we should probably be way more concerned with the state powers that inflict violence upon innocents to incomparably greater degrees. yeah crazy religious people are fucked up. but i'm rather more concerned with civilized violence atm.

also your "burden on you" thing is pretty weird. that's not how discussions work.

i mean dude, your theory of beliefs suggests way more serious consequences in so far as those beliefs align themselves with the forces of western governments, no? if i believe that dropping bombs all over arabs will make the world a better place...

one last thing...your theory lacks explanatory power altogether imo. so beliefs are..what? they emerge independently in human individuals, untouched by other factors? the only thing that matters is the "logic" of beliefs? it just doesn't work, sorry

Archived