IGNORED

audio interface recommendations?

modey

Ok, so I'm looking for something to use live for processing live guitar through Reaper; my current interfaces (Yamaha Audiogram3 and a Behringer USB mixer) work, but the dry signal can't be eliminated unless I use a separate device for output. I want to eliminate this and have one interface with just an input and volume control, and the output is basically just the output from Reaper without the dry signal coming through. Am I making any sense?

I was considering the Roland Duo-Capture:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/DUO-CAPTURE/

.. but I'm not sure if the dry signal can be turned off. I thought it could on my Yamaha interface, but a small amount always comes through. ARGH

focusrite-scarlett-2i4-586426.jpg

I've got one of these bad puppies. I use it to record sounds from ms20. Also can route sounds thru the ms20 via external out and back in which is legit.

I record it in to Ableton and u can get rid of the dry signal and just hear the processed shit (processed via ableton fx/vst's etc) which is also legit.

Pretty cheap as well and i'm told the sounds quality is good compared to others.. do recommend

Interesting. Are the two outputs independently assignable? Looks about the same as the one yek posted above but with a couple more features.

This would have been avoided if only Behringer/Yamaha didn't fucking hardwire the input to the output, argh! I wonder if I could modify them somehow, or if it's all in-chip..

Interesting. Are the two outputs independently assignable? Looks about the same as the one yek posted above but with a couple more features.

This would have been avoided if only Behringer/Yamaha didn't fucking hardwire the input to the output, argh! I wonder if I could modify them somehow, or if it's all in-chip..

By independently assignable do you mean are u able to route the master thru 2 outputs and then route only a few tracks through 2 other outputs? Yes u can do this.

U can connect ur speakers to the balanced outputs, and then u have 2 pairs of extra (unbalanced) outputs to route tracks to different outboard fx or whatever.

In ur case tho if ur just looking to process a guitar with in the box fx then all u need is 1 (mono) or 2 (stereo) line ins, and wont need xtra line outs. The scarlett 2i2 might b a better (cheaper) option

focusrite-scarlett-2i2_1.jpg

maybe well out of the price range, but I'm really pleased with my MOTU Ultralite Mk3. Finally pulled the trigger on one of these after wanting one for years. no regrets at all, and it has loads of features. It's currently the heart of my listening setup (I have my turntable and cassette deck running though it), as it acts like a standalone mixer without the computer being required on.

The Audiogram3 hard-wired monitoring "feature" is really a bummer. Rolands are nice, i've got some Edirols=Rolands - firewire though - which are very fine interfaces. Alesis iO2 (Express) springs to my mind. It's cheap and does have easy access to some input controls, rather crucial when playing live.

1405587380235-14174.png

the alesis one ain't bad though it feels a little flimsy in comparison.

it's cheap..

btw. what's the connection between m-audio and alesis?..

cos this interface looks like a spitting image of the old alesis io2

1405588632123-72122.png

io2_angle_med.jpg

Hmm, interesting suggestions. Looks like I just had bad luck with my choices.. I might see about going with the Duo Capture, since I literally just need a guitar compatible input.

ha! that's funny. maybe this is an outsourcing thing? like they all get made at one factory and alesis / m audio slap their decals on it?

Haha, it's a common thing in the electronics world - see also TVs, you'll find a whole load of them are just re-badged models with pretty much exactly the same gubbins inside.

I have an m audio fast track ultra which has 8 ins and outs! 6 analogue, 2 digital.

I can also vouch for the focusrite interfaces, they're very popular and sturdy. and the alesis one ain't bad though it feels a little flimsy in comparison.

EDIT: eight ins AND eight outs ;)

Slight thread hijack; what do you think of the quality of the inputs on the fast track ultra. I've had one for a few years now, rock solid, reliable and the outputs are fantastic for live work. But I wonder about the quality of the what I record. Have you used anything with comparable number of I/O's that sounds better?

Ok, so I'm looking for something to use live for processing live guitar through Reaper; my current interfaces (Yamaha Audiogram3 and a Behringer USB mixer) work, but the dry signal can't be eliminated unless I use a separate device for output. I want to eliminate this and have one interface with just an input and volume control, and the output is basically just the output from Reaper without the dry signal coming through.

I'm real surprised you can't turn off the dry input, have you maybe got monitoring turned on either in Reaper or the control panel of the card itself?

i use an edirol fa-101 10 in 10 out firewire interface. they don't make them anymore, but you can pick them up second hand for £150 - £200ish. been a solid and reliable interface that i would definitely recommend...had it for years with no issues.

dChq4BI.jpeg

I had a problem with my Edirol, kept on cutting out every few seconds .....

.... though that's cos my firewire card in my laptop was shite, worked ace on the lappy before that.

Ok, so I'm looking for something to use live for processing live guitar through Reaper; my current interfaces (Yamaha Audiogram3 and a Behringer USB mixer) work, but the dry signal can't be eliminated unless I use a separate device for output. I want to eliminate this and have one interface with just an input and volume control, and the output is basically just the output from Reaper without the dry signal coming through.

I'm real surprised you can't turn off the dry input, have you maybe got monitoring turned on either in Reaper or the control panel of the card itself?
Yup, it comes through when Reaper is closed and with the inputs turned all the way down (on the Audiogram). There's also no monitoring toggle on either the Audiogram or Behringer mixer. Frustrating as fuck! Currently my workaround is to use the Audiogram as an input and then use my MBP's headphone port as the main out. It's cumbersome but it works for the moment.

Suggestions in this thread are getting a little out of hand, tbh. I'd love to get something elaborate, but since I already have two interfaces, it'd be nice to have something compact and minimal for live use. Just a Hi-Z input and a headphone/RCA output would be perfect.

behringer-uca222-577423.jpg

Only 20 bucks lol.

I was considering it but it doesn't have a guitar jack input, so would probably sound like shit with a guitar plugged into the RCA inputs.

Archived