IGNORED

Syro reviews

scumtron

My personal review...

This is the best Aphex Twin album I've heard in 13 years.

Ba dum ching.

I told my brother this, it passed the time. cheers. I referenced the quote of course, don't worry.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest colonelchibbers

The Pitchfork one is one of those rare P4k reviews where I actually pretty much agree with everything that was said. Really articulated my thoughts on the album quite well. Good on them.

Guest trananhhung

I find it hilarious that pitchfork is always considered an imbecil angel of death around here but when they give a good rating to something people like it's all "the only review I actually agree on pitchfork. Very spot on". They're just as volatile as any other review magazine. Don't forget that the Wire hated Druqks and if there's a more respectful and intelligent magazine than that I would like to hear about it.

Yeah, Pitchfork reviews tend to mirror current trends in music. This release generated a lot of hype and interest, so it's no surprise that they gave it a good score. Their scores of Autechre albums reflect the same trends - Autechre were at their most popular around 2001, when Confield got a rave review from Pitchfork.

I am happy that any Aphex Twin album gets good reviews (although it doesn't make any difference to anything really) - but it's a shame that this narrative of the 'flawed' last proper album ---> 'a return to form' (or some similar story) will be endlessly pedalled. Of course there won't be any bad reviews of Syro: it's been 13 years (apparently), everyone disliked the last one except the faithful, and now here is an album full of analog warmth, melody, and a touch (or more depending in your perspective) of nostalgia. Ahhh! back to how things should be: away from the 'failures' of the last sprawling mess, the middle finger to disposable computer-produced EDM, but nothing too ambitious either. The perfect story. Ambition is an easy target for journalistic cynicism, after all. :)

But some reviews have actually been great, too. That Wire review was wonderful.

Guest BasDirks

Gonna quote this from Norman Records (already posted, but it's too good not to paste):

9/10 according to Bunny Rabbit (customer) on 19th September 2014

Right from the start. Digeridoo. "How perfectly splendid that is" said John Peel and we agreed. The legend was born and with it the hyperbole. "Genius" "Mozart". The lies, the exaggeration, the half truths the endless banging on about his tank and the bank and all that wank. He made his own synths or modified them or something about a 303 in matchbox. He lucid dreams his melodies man! Ambient works and industro garbage beats. Rephlex and Warp and surprise after delight after psuedonym after moniker after remix, that wasn't, after rarity after cash-in. He's doing it all on a laptop now. He's written his own programs. Dancing giant teddy bears and mates with Philip Glass. MTV, America, Windowlicker! Prepared piano?! Come on you cunts lets have some Aphex Acid! Leather bound, fur-lined 100% analogue acid on disc after disc. No more computers. It's not me honest. Prick! He's got a GX1! Swinging piano.

2014 - Can we hear that Caustic Window LP if the Minecraft dude pays for it Rich? Yeah (sniff) you can. I'm touched. Do want my music, then? That's good. The album's with Warp already.

Richard James comes clean. Here's the list of all the equipment I used. Here's the thing with about the ex-wife and my kids going to school in a tiny village. Here's all the rooms I use at home and meet my neighbours. Here I am. I'm back. You can hear my music if you want, I suppose. Why not? This ones for the fans. No messing about. Well, just a bit. If you've got £250 and a lucky ticket you can get a special edition with a track embossed into the artwork. You can't really hear it but it's there. Just out of reach.

This is the sound of an unlimited budget for synths and outboard and whatnot. The Tuss continued... (Do keep up!) The sounds assassin. King, no, lord of the synths. Road tested tracks. YouTube uploaded live recordings approved by the fans now brought to them on vinyl and CD. What? Metz? Really? Okay!! Tabla?

Funk. Yeah, funk. Think break funk. Amen jungle funk acid rave business. Well just a bit, anyway. The voices of his family and who knows who saying who knows what. An "intensely personal album" apparently. We're certainly up closer than we've been for a while if not ever in fact.

I like it. It's quite good. It's what I've been hoping for and sort of fearing. There's more coming though. The experimental stuff on EPs. Yeah, no this isn't the weird stuff. That's coming later. Soon. This is what you want. This is the what you needed. Tunes, modular acid, expensive synths ('I haven't got that many') and beats. Those beats. And that swinging piano. Stilled in his Scottish retreat. Yes. Better together. Birds in the background. Sustain pedal. Cheers Rich. Lush.

MwJ4oLv.jpg

AHAHAHA! Too good! It's like witnessing a hole in one! Way to go!

You guys ready to cringe?

"from the rave music of the late 80s to mid-90s dubstep"

http://www.avclub.com/article/beginners-guide-many-sounds-aphex-twin-209216?

Yeah, I read that and thought, "WTF? Did you not even exist in the '90s? That wasn't a term people used back then. FFS." But then I remembered it's a primer and who cares anyway about shit like that, and I was fine.

I am happy that any Aphex Twin album gets good reviews (although it doesn't make any difference to anything really) - but it's a shame that this narrative of the 'flawed' last proper album ---> 'a return to form' (or some similar story) will be endlessly pedalled. Of course there won't be any bad reviews of Syro: it's been 13 years (apparently), everyone disliked the last one except the faithful, and now here is an album full of analog warmth, melody, and a touch (or more depending in your perspective) of nostalgia. Ahhh! back to how things should be: away from the 'failures' of the last sprawling mess, the middle finger to disposable computer-produced EDM, but nothing too ambitious either. The perfect story. Ambition is an easy target for journalistic cynicism, after all. :)

Very well put. I am also very tired of that narrative about the return to form. (And I also agree about the Wire article.) I get the sense that most of these other reviewers just do a quick search to see what other reviewers are saying, and they follow the herd with the same blinders on about how "Drukqs" was this big departure or something. Like that AVClub article makes this point and goes on to say that "Richard D. James Album" was one of the best in part because of the "classical-lite" elements contrasted with bizzaro electronic tracks. Hmm. I wonder what a double album of that sort of material would be like. Oh, wait. Right.

I am happy that any Aphex Twin album gets good reviews (although it doesn't make any difference to anything really) - but it's a shame that this narrative of the 'flawed' last proper album ---> 'a return to form' (or some similar story) will be endlessly pedalled.

This. Although the Pitchfork review was spot on, that website is all "build them up, tear them down", and I hate it. Those fucking......hipsters.

IMO there is still music being produced that is pushing the boundaries of 'dancable' electronic music, like OPN, Actress, Hype Williams?

What is OPN? Never heard of that.

Guest chops727

Totally agreed, I find it scary that MOST people writing about music can't form their own opinion about what music they like, I can't imagine existing like that? What must that feel like, to have to be told what you like?

Like your in a trance or something?

I know 'the news' gets repeated ad infinitum which is scary enough but kind of more understandable as people don't have time to research their own news but music taste?

Scary fucking zombie world.

The politics of music journalism is mostly back scratching bullshit, magazine's get granted artist interview=good reviews for artist for next 5 years etc, i.e mags then pick journos who they know will gush about said artist, slightly more complex than that but not much.

And if mag decides they don't like someone they pick journo that isn't into that kind of music etc.

Archived