IGNORED

AHHHHH FRUTIY LOOPS!!!

Guest môak

Guest Mr. Magoo

HI THERE

I WAS MAKING A TUNE ON FL5 FRUITY LOOPS AND THEN MY COMP CRAHSED, AND WHEN I CAME BACK TO RE-OPEN THE SAME PROJECT FILE IT HAD THIS SIGN SAYING "CANNOT OPEN, FILE MAY BE CORRUPTED".

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP HOW DO I GET THIS BACK.

Are you just double clicking on the file without loading FL first? Sometimes, my old version of FL would only open a file if I opened FL, then did a new file, then opened the project in that. It wouldn't open it if I just doule clicked on the song icon (even though it should).

Guest Iain C

There's a way around this... I think FL keeps a backup of the last saved set somewhere. This question's come up here before and my mate Gazz actually saved a set this way. Look for an flp called "undo" or something like that, I can't remember exactly. Someone else will probably know. Good luck mate :laughing:

Guest Mr. Magoo
go to the trashbin file. there should be a backup of your last saved project.

thanks mate, it did work :)

btw whats up with a few of the americans in this thread, all i need was help, not sarcism.

also what other sequencers do you guys reconmend i've tried ableton live, and its a little like you can't make the drum loops i dont see no step sequencer.

reason=shit, all live stuff, no piano roll thats easy/alson reaktor is still like live.

Guest DrHat
btw whats up with a few of the americans in this thread, all i need was help, not sarcism.

We focus on what we do best

also what other sequencers do you guys reconmend i've tried ableton live, and its a little like you can't make the drum loops i dont see no step sequencer.

reason=shit, all live stuff, no piano roll thats easy/alson reaktor is still like live.

Ableton is pretty good, I like Cubase SX/Nuendo. Digital Performer I always found a little too fiddly, Pro Tools too costly + boring. Acid is just for loop jockeying still, IMO. So what if it has VSTi... But, you know, the world does need some loop jockeying on occasion.

For the record, my non-sarcastic opinion on FL: You can do good stuff in it, but you really have to fight with it in some areas. I hate the sequencer, the effects automation is painful. Maybe they've fixed it, last I used was FL3. And, yes I did used to use it, until I got things that did what it did better.

Don't listen too much to what asshats like me say about sequencers, though - the best one is the one that works for you.

Guest Iain C

I use Ableton, I made the transition from FL and I really recommend it. Because it's so vastly different it takes a while to adjust - you can make beats using it, but in the piano roll using the Impulse device. Once you scratch the surface, Ableton is extremely intuitive in my experience, and that's really what I like about it. My advice is to do the tutorials, once I'd gone through all of those I was set and ready to make tracks properly, the basics are totally covered.

So that's a recommendation then.

I use Fruity Loops 6 and can highly recommend it - I've made tracks in ACID Pro, Jeskola Buzz, Reason, Cubase, Logic, and various other obscure programs and can definitely say I like FL the best by far. The step sequencer is brilliant, it's easy and quick to knock up basic building blocks to start a tune with, I think the effects automation is fine IMO, I just really like it. I HATE Cubase and Logic and similar programs to this (needlessly fiddly and annoying and CPU intensive), I have just recently got Ableton, but have not had a chance to check it out properly yet. From what i've seen so far, looks good.

But yeah FLoops forever!!

Guest DrHat
I HATE Cubase and Logic and similar programs to this (needlessly fiddly and annoying and CPU intensive)

I think that about says it. I like to spend hours being anal and tweaking knob automation so it is _exactly_ right... I also have a dual athlon PC. :grin: If you're not a details person and you just want to get some music done, FL will serve you well, but I'm a computer nerd and I love endlessly tinkering with things. Hugely complex pieces of software also make me boner, because I find a large number of options inspiring.

LUDD - In Cubase, my usual dealie is: 1) Roughly twiddle the knobs like I want live and record it, 2) Go back and edit that in detail via value vs. time on a bar next to my midi. If FL can do that now, I rescind my effects automation comment. I have briefly dicked around with FL 4 and 5, actually, just not written any music with it... 3 was the last I did serious work in. BTW, can you record audio in it, now? Any facilities for messing audio tracks? I would also like to see MIDI effects (Cubase has MidiEcho, Arpache, etc).

I really don't hate FL or anything, and I didn't mean to start one of these pointless interweb debates. Sorry if I offended anyone. I guess it's just, a lot of the terrible bedroom studio music I've heard was cranked out of FL (I'm sure none of it was from you chaps, just saying) and I have a hard time taking something "fruity" seriously.

As I said before, as long as it works for you, I honestly don't give a shit. But opinions were being dispensed, and so I gave mine.

Archived