IGNORED

Bill Cosby is a big old rapist (on the loose)

Rubin Farr

i never put salt in the water. There's salt in the pasta already, and in the sauce and the butter and the two kinds of cheese. Sometimes i feel like a pariah, given the orthodoxy foisted upon us from myriad television cooking programs and cookbooks and the advice of friends. But fuck em, i'm marginally less sodium.

Maybe it's an idea from back before they had the butter and the two kinds of cheese and their pasta sauce consisted of a sprinkling of olive oil and maybe some basil leaves and a little garlic.

yeah, maybe..

that was a metaphor right?

Sometimes I eat my pasta with just olive oil on it, so it makes a difference.

If there's a thicker sauce with a strong flavour, I don't know if I could taste the difference.

Your pasta sounds delicious by the way, what with the butter and the cheese and the other cheese. How do you make it?

I make all sorts of pasta sauces, from bolognese in it's many variants, to creamy bacon and mushroom and leek, to freaky asian crossover things where i forgo noodles and use spaghetti or fettuccine or whatever instead. Heh, in that could care less vein i make a thai green curry and i started finding that i was over coconut milk so now i make a reduction of normal cream with a tiny tin of coconut milk, just to remind me what i'm supposed to be eating. etc.

It's all probably pretty mediocre, my brother only occasionally compliments me on my cooking, and i never have anyone over to eat it so there've not been any impartial taste buds. My friends a long time ago when i did the flatmate thing used to compliment my cooking, but maybe it's because they were ravenous from their ineptitude at the stove top and lack of interest in cooking generally. And I have found that people do accept pretty dire (at least to my estimation) food as worthy.

i never put salt in the water. There's salt in the pasta already, and in the sauce and the butter and the two kinds of cheese. Sometimes i feel like a pariah, given the orthodoxy foisted upon us from myriad television cooking programs and cookbooks and the advice of friends. But fuck em, i'm marginally less sodium.

Maybe it's an idea from back before they had the butter and the two kinds of cheese and their pasta sauce consisted of a sprinkling of olive oil and maybe some basil leaves and a little garlic.

yeah, maybe..

that was a metaphor right?

I don't like this thread so i'm sabotaging it.

i think you are meant to add the salt to raise the temperature at which the water boils. like maybe you want to cook a steak on a real hot grill. nobody puts salt in a noodle water to get a salt flavour in the noodle that's crazy talk.

Sorry... I was just trying to fit in... :'(

cuts self*

:emotawesomepm9:

cuts self*

i think you are meant to add the salt to raise the temperature at which the water boils. like maybe you want to cook a steak on a real hot grill. nobody puts salt in a noodle water to get a salt flavour in the noodle that's crazy talk.

What? That's exactly why salt is added to the water.

EDIT: I just googled "Why do you salt pasta water?" and Google confirms my theory. I've also read it in multiple places so it must be true.

Edited by Root5

this whole thing with the salt water and the noodles is for real wrong. cosby is maybe wrong idk. but adding salt to water you are boiling noodles in to give the noodles a salt flavour is proper wrong.

it is a rape of facts.

root you should change your name to cosby5

Here's a quote from a professional food journalist, man:

or the non-home cooks out there, salting water is essential for correctly flavoring pasta.* Once the noodles are done cooking, you can also use starchy, briny leftover water to prepare a nice pan sauce. It's all basic stuff, and an act of culinary bad faith for any restaurant not to do it.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/09/12/olive_garden_doesn_t_salt_its_pasta_water_investors_reveal_a_culinary_crime.html

EDIT: You WILL believe me, and I WON'T take no for an answer!

Edited by Root5

I can drop lower than Slate. Let's do this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/15/olive-garden-salt-pasta-water_n_5823820.html

Is there a scientific reason we should be salting our water?

No. There's an old wives' tale that says salted water will make the pasta cook faster, and while it's not entirely untrue, it doesn't make enough of a difference to matter. An ounce of salt only raises the boiling point of water by 1 degree Fahrenheit, so you'd need a whole lot of salt to make a significant difference in the cooking time -- a whole disgusting lot.

So the only reason to salt pasta water is to make the pasta taste better?

Yes. Do you need another reason, pray tell? Salted water flavors the pasta from the inside out as the pasta absorbs the water, leading to tastier pasta. Period. No matter how delicious your bolognese or marinara sauce, the pasta is the foundation upon which you build your flavors.

Edited by Root5

idk i bet i could find a bunch of links to back myself up, but i dont think it makes any difference. you going to salt for your reasons and im going to salt for mine.

probably what the truth is is that the part of your brain that registers salt (wrongly) is the part of my brain that registers texture (correctly).

you think you will ever taste all those noodle styles delet?

One day DW, one day. With the perfect coffee as an entré, whilst looking up towards the swiss alps from a little café on the shore of lake maggiore. (of course they eat that vile polenta there don't they so that wouldn't be happening hahaah.)

What? That's exactly why salt is added to the water.

EDIT: I just googled "Why do you salt pasta water?" and Google confirms my theory. I've also read it in multiple places so it must be true.

awesome, so i'm a terrible cook after all, problem solved. ;-]

edit:} doh, i didn't read everything, go go Root5 i'm rooting5 for ya.

It works that way with cooking potatoes in boiling water. You add salt to give the potatoes some taste. Should be working for pasta as well. (If you're a woman and dont use piss for pasta water)

i dont want to be rude because i recognize you guys have a learning disability but i cant allow these lies to have life.

q7Lg0Wk.png

notice the apologetic 'some' before the word flavour. this poster is obviously well studied and chooses to patronize the ignorant salt flavour believers.

idk guys all i ask is that you wake up to these ignorant lies you are surrendering yourselfs to.