IGNORED

the sony hacking scandal

Rubin Farr

i feel like if the plot were inverted there would be soooooo much more potential for actual comedy. imagine a movie all about NKorean, kim dong created/appointed teams trying to figure out how to assassinate Obammer. just the idea of that is already funny. the idea behind the interview is just fucking stupid. oh but hey its got seth rogen, the stoner funnyman who wears glasses and has curly hair, so i obvs have to go see it

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

BTW, for those who think that this garbage will change any "hearts and minds" in North Korea, here's a review from an actual North Korean:

http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/23066/1/i-watched-the-interview-with-a-north-korean-defector

My favorite line: "I have seen many American movies but this is the first time I’ve seen this kind of shit."

"We could see that the IP addresses they used ... were IPs that were exclusively used by the North Koreans. It was a mistake by them. It was a very clear indication of who was doing this. They would shut it off very quickly once they realized the mistake, but not before we saw them and knew where it was coming from,"

this gave me a good giggle

http://youtu.be/I_wxdhiB5w4

Edit:

John I never tried to quote you in my post, and the editor won't let me delete your name out? I can't highlight that section or delete it in any way, it's weird. My post was not directed at you.

Why would the US even need a smoking gun, what possible motivation could they have for lying about this? If they wanted to hack or place more sanctions on Korea they could have just done it without telling anyone, it's not like anyone would have noticed.

Why are there so many conspiritards out there these days? rothschild this Illuminati that, EVERYTHING YOURE TOLD IS A LIE.

It's exhausting.

Yeah, the idea that Sony would leak a bunch of emails with damning conversations between executives to help the USA government start a war with North Korea is ridiculous. So is the idea that it was a calculated marketing stunt to get people to watch The Interview that otherwise wouldn't have, because they've probably lost millions upon millions by releasing it on the net (and thus immediately onto torrent sites) than a large theatrical release. Yet, I've seen people claim both of those things are true with certainty all over the internet.

Not saying there aren't obvious conspiracies and collusion for wrong-doing at top levels of government agencies and within the corporatocracy, but you can take the tinfoil hats off for this particular case.

Edit:

John I never tried to quote you in my post, and the editor won't let me delete your name out? I can't highlight that section or delete it in any way, it's weird. My post was not directed at you.

Why would the US even need a smoking gun, what possible motivation could they have for lying about this? If they wanted to hack or place more sanctions on Korea they could have just done it without telling anyone, it's not like anyone would have noticed.

Why are there so many conspiritards out there these days? rothschild this Illuminati that, EVERYTHING YOURE TOLD IS A LIE.

It's exhausting.

Umm this is actually not true, the US SDN is publicly available, and in fact has to be, otherwise the sanctions are not going to be very effective. Placing international sanctions on an entity is a big deal, though I always argue that sanctions are a stupid way to try and accomplish things like regime change.

As for hacking North Korea, well few people would have noticed, but it honestly would do little to hurt their economy, as so little of it is reliant on the internet.

That's not to say that I support the idea that Sony or the US government is behind the original hack. That idea is ridiculous.

You're right, I do believe, regarding the sanctions. I was more referring to the hacking (which appears to have been the US' response back to NK) when I meant noone would have noticed.

I typed it out hastily.

i don't wear a tinfoil hat i can see conspiracy just fine with out it. Plus constant exposure to absorption of aluminium via your skin has got to be somewhat mildly bad for you. Therefore they probably want you to wear the hat as a form of slow death, so keep promoting the idea, snickering at the concept of all these basement dwellers in their dunce caps dreaming of being probed by a chunky moustachioed member of the fbi in some super secret levitating stealth jacuzzi stationed inside the basement of washington monument.

guys haven't the conspiritards upgraded to titanium hats or other, more dense metals than tin or bimetal?

tinfoil lets far too many of the capitalist government radio waves in.....

all these basement dwellers in their dunce caps dreaming of being probed by a chunky moustachioed member of the fbi in some super secret levitating stealth jacuzzi stationed inside the basement of washington monument.

:wang:

i don't wear a tinfoil hat i can see conspiracy just fine with out it. Plus constant exposure to absorption aluminium is somewhat mildly bad for you. They probably want you to wear the hat as a form of slow death, so keep promoting the idea, snickering at the concept of all these basement dwellers in their dunce caps dreaming of being probed by a chunky moustachioed member of the fbi in some super secret levitating stealth jacuzzi stationed inside the basement of washington monument.

Are you arguing for or against conspiracy in this case?

If you're arguing for, please, make your argument for who the conspirators are, what they are attempting to gain, and the time frame within which we might see results from it.

I'm not attacking you at all, just really want to see your thought process laid out beyond the usual: the government/elite is doing it to gain some measure of control/wealth.

oh, to put you out of your misery for once chen i'll break my rule and reply. i wasn't agreeing or disagreeing, just making merry. The one group i am pretty certain would not have done it, are NK. They have no specific motive (in reality not some ham fisted washingtonion spinmeister fantasy velt). They said that they didn't do it (they seem pretty eager to telegraph all their other achievements so why deny this to the point of actually offering to assist in tracking down the culprits).

As for who would have done it, the US it has been revealed has a giant spying operation going on which can access anything and everything on the internet that isn't encrypted. There have been moves to lock down the internet through legislation that have been knocked down due to public outcry, recently similar legislation has been quietly struggling it's way through the legislative process. Therefore it is not outside the bounds of reality to cynically declare that the US government is a prime suspect. The president's declaration of support for net neutrality muddys this picture somewhat of course.

Next, a call for evidence to back my speculation whilst this is all taking place is a fools errand. With these people you have to look at their past behaviour and establish a motive but don't expect specific documentation detailing their crimes until way after the fact if at all. At the same time, relying on established sources like the NYT or whomever will get you nowhere as they either omit facts as a matter of policy or just republish propaganda pieces delivered to them by the government. This has been demonstrated time and again, these are not 'paper's of record' or what have you.

i think most of the suspicion is meant to try and leverage information about what the gov knows and how they came about that knowledge. if the ip evidence is weak and the gov is sure it was NK then what else is there and did they come into that info by running an 'unethical' internet spying apparatus e.g. installing indiscriminate backdoors in hardware, compromising foreign networks etc.

another theory would be that the attack came from an extorting third party who deliberately gave away indicators that would lead investigators towards NK while collecting money from sony who wouldn't say anything because of embarrassment and fears of sensitive stuff being leaked. but idk if i really believe the fbi is that incompetent.

OR (as most people probably see me sadly)

IZPcV.gif

nah, more like this:

kyf2qD1.gif

yay, awesome. i never watched the rest of sweet chi, took forever to come out so i kind of moved on to other stuff. Would like to rewatch though, the eps were only really short anyway.

i think most of the suspicion is meant to try and leverage information about what the gov knows and how they came about that knowledge. if the ip evidence is weak and the gov is sure it was NK then what else is there and did they come into that info by running an 'unethical' internet spying apparatus e.g. installing indiscriminate backdoors in hardware, compromising foreign networks etc.

another theory would be that the attack came from an extorting third party who deliberately gave away indicators that would lead investigators towards NK while collecting money from sony who wouldn't say anything because of embarrassment and fears of sensitive stuff being leaked. but idk if i really believe the fbi is that incompetent.

They have lied about so many things that they claimed to have specific evidence for over the years to support this or that assassination attempt or sanctions or invasion or what have you, i don't know why anyone would put any credence into anything they say about the IPs, or any 'documentation' that they come up with to show where the attack was hosted.

oh, to put you out of your misery for once chen i'll break my rule and reply. i wasn't agreeing or disagreeing, just making merry. The one group i am pretty certain would not have done it, are NK. They have no specific motive (in reality not some ham fisted washingtonion spinmeister fantasy velt). They said that they didn't do it (they seem pretty eager to telegraph all their other achievements so why deny this to the point of actually offering to assist in tracking down the culprits).

As for who would have done it, the US it has been revealed has a giant spying operation going on which can access anything and everything on the internet that isn't encrypted. There have been moves to lock down the internet through legislation that have been knocked down due to public outcry, recently similar legislation has been quietly struggling it's way through the legislative process. Therefore it is not outside the bounds of reality to cynically declare that the US government is a prime suspect. The president's declaration of support for net neutrality muddys this picture somewhat of course.

Next, a call for evidence to back my speculation whilst this is all taking place is a fools errand. With these people you have to look at their past behaviour and establish a motive but don't expect specific documentation detailing their crimes until way after the fact if at all. At the same time, relying on established sources like the NYT or whomever will get you nowhere as they either omit facts as a matter of policy or just republish propaganda pieces delivered to them by the government. This has been demonstrated time and again, these are not 'paper's of record' or what have you.

I wasn't in any misery - just curious to see your thought processes. So basically it's just some vague nebulous operation with no specific goal in mind? I mean if they already can see everything that isn't encrypted, what further help is locking down the internet going to do to for the CIA/FBI/NSA whatever three letter agency u want to believe is behind it? Surely they would want people to believe their internets are safe. These are the same people that funded American modern art to counter Russian propaganda.

Unless you think that Sony did it, to further "shut down piracy". If you think they would risk alienating all the people in the film industry, lose all their staff, expose their incompetency in terms of IT security, and risk their bottom line by releasing several films onto the net, then I just don't know what to say.

Oh and NK has a long history of offering to "help" on investigations. You don't think they might want to maybe misdirect resources?

Archived