IGNORED

the sony hacking scandal

Rubin Farr

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I definitely didn't think this was Sony's doing, but the movie got far more attention than I felt it warranted because of this whole debacle. However it's eventually released, I think more people will see than ever would have otherwise, even if they just torrent it.

it's unfortunate people would be so predictable. you'd think that now that they know most how corrupt and manipulative big companies like sony are that they'd completely ignore their product (the interview) so it can financially hurt them (when they eventually release it), thus causing sony to rethink their strategy, instead they actually help them recover financially by watching the film regardless of the negative social backlash to their company.

i don't even get why get involved with things like occupy wallstreet when most people seem to be completely clueless about the point of revolution

I got the OST files loaded into a viewer eventually but the program has no keyword searching

Easiest way to do it is convert the OST file into a PST file and the load a fresh instance of Thunderbird.

http://ost2.com/

that is for Windows, so you might want to load an instance of Windows on your Mac to dual-boot.

yeah i cant believe we are actually being imposed upon by North Korean censorship and intimidation. its as if Kim Jong himself has walked into my neighborhood and told me what art i can and cant look at. WHAT THE FUCK? absolutely surreal and bizarre.

THIS is what gets me. Sony just sent those arrogant assholes the wrong message in a big way. They may not have any military power but they just found some buttons they can push. Now they think they can pull one over on us.

After thinking about it, I can see their worst case scenario: a terrorist attack on Christmas Day at a multiplex (they can hold thousands of people at once) would be possibly more scarring or just as scarring as 9/11, and could have potentially an even larger body count. America would never psychologically recover from that, and could possibly send us to war if we identified the culprits. Christmas would be tainted forever, and potentially a lot of children could be killed. A movie is just not worth the risk of such apocalyptic PR, Sony would look bad, theaters would look bad, and it would probly impose some bullshit security like having a cop in every theater from now until eternity would just make us feel like more of a police state. Just watch their Naked & Afraid, it's probly funnier anyway.

Are you happy now Kim? you ruined Christmas! LOL

The CIA seems to think those threats are totally empty and from the comfort of my armchair I'd be inclined to agree. This is one of the poorest countries on Earth and most of its citizens have no idea what exists beyond its borders. How could they organize terror cells in the US to carry out the attack? How would those bumpkins ever be able to pass as normal folk? And as far as intercontinental missiles... have you seen the missile tests? They don't have jack shit for carrying this out, it's a total bluff. Hell, the hackers probably aren't even North Korean - how good do you think their computer science programs are?

Really struggling to get my head around how big this actually is

In dozens of recently leaked emails from the Sony hack, lawyers from the MPAA and six major studios talk about "Goliath" as their most powerful and politically relevant adversary in the fight against online piracy. They speak of "the problems created by Goliath," and worry "what Goliath could do if it went on the attack." Together they mount a multi-year effort to "respond to / rebut Goliath’s public advocacy" and "amplify negative Goliath news." And while it’s hard to say for sure, significant evidence suggests that the studio efforts may be directed against Google.

At the beginning of this year, the MPAA and six studios — Universal, Sony, Fox, Paramount, Warner Bros., and Disney — joined together to begin a new campaign against piracy on the web. A January 25th email lays out a series of legally and technically ambitious new tools, including new measures that would block infringing sites from reaching customers of many major ISPs. Documents reviewed by The Verge detail the beginning of a new plan to attack piracy after the federal SOPA efforts failed by working with state attorneys general and major ISPs like Comcast to expand court power over the way data is served. If successful, the result would fundamentally alter the open nature of the internet.

In another instance, the group seemed to look to articles on political corruption not as a cautionary tale but as an instruction manual. In one email, the MPAA's Senior VP of State Government Affairs circulated an investigative New York Times series on lobbyists wielding increasing influence over state attorneys general. The series details many tactics involved in Project Goliath, including hiring former attorneys general as counsel and targeting officials at the state level where lobbying dollars may stretch farther. The MPAA official offered only the caption "FYI, first in a series of articles." The email was sent to 62 people, including executives at Paramount, Warner Bros., Fox, Comcast, and the RIAA.

They are talking about instead of adapting their business models to fit in with the ever changing real world, breaking the real world to suit their unchanging business models. They are talking about launching a smear campaign against Google - the main road block in the way of their plans because of it's advocacy of net neutrality, and they are talking about taking advantage of political corruption to improve their lobbying power. This is incendiary shit

Now THIS is interesting. Scathing allthough honestly not very surprising.

I just reread that Bloomberg article and I guess I really underestimated how advanced their hacking network has become. And this paragraph almost makes it sound romantic:

“Destructive attacks are actually very, very rare -- North Korea is one of the few that has launched them repeatedly,” says Dmitri Alperovitch, co-founder and chief technology officer of CrowdStrike, which is based in Irvine, California. “They always seem to be pushing the boundaries of what they can do.”

I wonder how much this approach has enabled them to recruit outside talent.

What do you guys think the implications are here? Will our gov address the issue and broadcast it to the world to which NK may rebut and so forth or will it phase out and become a forgettable funny meme of 2k14?

I too am having a hard time wrapping my head around it. On one hand, i know its just a dumb movie being cancelled and bullying by a joke of a leadership who threatens the world like 12 yr old brat.. On the other hand, a rogue nations that wants the west nuked just essentially banned my people from seeing a piece of art made within my own country.

What do you guys think the implications are here? Will our gov address the issue and broadcast it to the world to which NK may rebut and so forth or will it phase out and become a forgettable funny meme of 2k14?

I too am having a hard time wrapping my head around it. On one hand, i know its just a dumb movie being cancelled and bullying by a joke of a leadership who threatens the world like 12 yr old brat.. On the other hand, a rogue nations that wants the west nuked just essentially banned my people from seeing a piece of art made within my own country.

Even when you feel that you completely outmatch your foe it may be prudent not to irritate them to the point of taking real action to defend their self-image.

Steve Carrell's movie has also been canceled, what's next should we all go hide in bomb bunkers and bury our heads in the sand until the world isn't scary anymore?

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/steve-carells-north-korea-movie-pyongyang-105463837307.html

Weird: listening to Aphex now while reading this:

He was authorized to bring Aphex Twin CDs, Gitanes cigarettes, Hennessy cognac and a copy of George Owell’s novel 1984, but left the country with no expectations to ever return.

trying to get theatre buds to stash me some promo swag 'cause that shit's sellin' for a mint

for sure! i was able to buy an original single sided movie theater poster for $59 on ebay last night after i saw some chatter on reddit about The Interview movie posters about to start selling for crazy amounts. checked this morning and theyre going for between $250- $400 already, keeps increasing.

off topic but i was a projectionist at a theatre when the large scale digital conversion happened a few years ago. they were just going to trash all the projectors so i grabbed a butt load of lenses (with permission) and made almost $5k ;O

one guy took an entire projector to his house -_-

off topic but i was a projectionist at a theatre when the large scale digital conversion happened a few years ago. they were just going to trash all the projectors so i grabbed a butt load of lenses (with permission) and made almost $5k ;O

one guy took an entire projector to his house -_-

How big were your spools? I ran an IMAX theater back in the 2000s for Dolly Parton believe it or not, they were fucking massive. We ran a 30 min IMAX movie and it cost us $5000 per reel. One day I fucked one up and secretly buried it in the trash, I would have been so fired LOL. This was my rig:

51E0283B-E4D2-4CA2-B5A8-1BCB148958F7_zps

Those reels are like 100lbs each

Archived