IGNORED

Good Soundclouds (used to be possible RDJ soundclogs)

Jaspmf

oh yeh, haha should have scrolled up, but being blazed n lazy...

it's just the fact that RDJ has been so present and responsive on soundcloud this week...making me wanna believe like fox mulder.

plus I don't know why anyone would ever try to pass their own shit off as AFX..

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's just the fact that RDJ has been so present and responsive on soundcloud this week...making me wanna believe like fox mulder.

There are hundreds of people that play off of that " I could be afx" type thing, it's really frustrating. Basically even if an artist is really good if they try and pass themselves off as another artist, I don't buy any of their music. If you have such a low level of artistic integrity that you'll try and pretend you're aphex twin to sell a few records (redacted)... well it's like getting a promotion at work for someone elses efforts.

It's like those people that go to a popular artist's FB page and make a post saying 'Hey, I make music similar to this... check out this link' - I just saw one of these today, and people just seem to accept that kind of behaviour now as it's so rampant.

There are hundreds of people that play off of that " I could be afx" type thing, it's really frustrating. Basically even if an artist is really good if they try and pass themselves off as another artist, I don't buy any of their music. If you have such a low level of artistic integrity that you'll try and pretend you're aphex twin to sell a few records (hey richard wilson, here's looking at you)... well it's like getting a promotion at work for someone elses efforts.

I feel exactly the same way. There have been so many imposters over the years and it's pathetic. For whatever reason, I still have a small feeling that this "brainwaltzera" is related to RDJ on some level but if it's not, I'll never listen to it again. I only listened to the songs once each and didn't get a very strong Aphex feeling, though I did like some of the songs. There are just too many references for it to be a complete fake... right?

This one was fairly good imo, like the better Flashbulb tracks but without the whiny "girls don't like me" vibe

Annoying that people feel the need to leech off afx to get attention, but in a few cases I guess it's worth it, the Heorge Garrison stuff seems to be going somewhere, and he/she took that route?

The most annoying ones are those that pretend to be him and completely ape his style, with no originality at all

I was convinced this soundcloud was RDJ having some fun posting raw mixdowns (kind of jams really) of analord-like tracks in YLC just to see what people would say. They sure doesn't have the level of achievement you usually find in RDJ's tracks but they have so much of AFX little touches that it's hard for me to think it could be someone else.

anyway those two tracks are brilliant :

[sc5]118932890[/sc5]

[sc5]119079616[/sc5]

Some really nice tracks on brainwaltz, though it doesn't come across as very RDJ to me personally.

Pretty fucked that people grab onto his coatstrings in hopes of vaulting their own music into the spotlight. Some ego. (I'm not referring to brainwaltz necessarily, just folks in general that are/will obviously use this tactic)

I was convinced this soundcloud was RDJ having some fun posting raw mixdowns (kind of jams really) of analord-like tracks in YLC just to see what people would say. They sure doesn't have the level of achievement you usually find in RDJ's tracks but they have so much of AFX little touches that it's hard for me to think it could be someone else.

anyway those two tracks are brilliant :

[sc5]118932890[/sc5]

[sc5]119079616[/sc5]

Seems a bit "promotey" to me. Too many friends tracks and whatnot. The second you follow them you've got a bunch of other people jalapeño feed. Doesn't lend much credibility (because some affiliated people are obviously garnering attention byway of that acct getting adds)

That's really helpful, thanks for your phenomenal insight Ivan.

Someone was listening to "fake" Aphex Twin when he had just put out 2 new albums too. Now you've got 109 tracks to listen to. It's not out of the realm of possibility. Plus the 109 tracks and 2 albums aren't going anywhere, soundclouds won't necessarily stay around.

hi guys i'm listening to fake faphex soundclouds when he just got 2 new albums out and uploaded 109 tracks, ballin so hard xxxx

lol. i also have no idea why people waste their time listening to shitty fakes, when it's tonns of new afeks :biggrin:

ok maybe somadril

well it's very obvious he is capable of producing multiple albums worth of content beyond the 2 new albums and the older re-releases. Also, the re-releases seem like they are presented as a gift, and if that's the case there are likely to be bonuses floating around. It's not like posting on unconfirmed soundclouds is completely out of character for aphex, is it?

Notice yesterday user 0000008673 was spamming this comment:

@confreg: That's funny. I too have a similar setup and I submitted a track on that Bleep competition but I didn't get any notice. I even sent it to that Future Music Magazine in the mid 90s and they never reviewed it

And then today user user48736353001 uploads what?

Luke Vibert spiral staircase [future music competition] [afx remix]

Guest Chesney

Well, there are many ways to look at the whole "sounding like rdj" thing. And getting uppity about every single angle is a narrow view.

So there is the piggyback desperado. Usually fairly talented, frustrated and probably thinks a little bit much of themselves. These are the ones I get put off by and the ones many of you dislike very much too and who you are aiming your anger towards.

There are the trolls, because they know forum types will get all uppity about what they do and just want to have a laugh. Like above, you dislike these but are not aware that they do not care and are doing it for the reaction. Whether this practice is a good thing or not who knows. But if the music is good then why should it matter the motivation.

Then there are the artist lovers. They love the artist that they just enjoy making music they like to listen to. They are not doing it for you but, they would be stoked if they get appreciators along the way. It's a shame these people get lumped in with the ones above by fickle fans of the same artist and especially when there are threads below this on the page that are actually asking for people that sound like an artist as they want hear more in the same vein.

My view is that there is room for everyone, of course, if the music is poor or comes across desperate then I won't listen, but if it's good, I won't disregard it regardless of how bitey or how close, far away they got to the sounds of the original artist.

Aphex, BoC etc etc are not going to be making tracks in their old style anymore, they are growing themselves and are developing their style. But people still want to hear more in the vein of previous era's. Why shouldn't others take up the mantle? Of course, people should not aim to make lots of money from copying, that's not what I'm saying. That moral dilemma is up to the individual. If people want this music and people want to make it then why wouldn't people want to listen?

Soundcloud, bandcamp etc are full of people making amazing music, much is inspired by the few that made it in the business but these people are being disregarded by people because they have narrow views and opinions on who should be able to make certain music. I love music and it does not matter who makes it. Some of the artists I really love have made it, they are going to be heard and will continue to be loved by me and everyone else but limiting your listening to these people is not respecting music in general, it's fuelling a gap almost like the classes of society or the distribution of wealth. It's something I have no interest in. All beautiful things should be appreciated if it fits or has a quality that rings true.

Opinions are just that and all are valid, mine, yours and everyone else. So, why did I even write that? Dunno ;)

If you post tldr, then you are the very people I aim this at.

the fuck, totally different remix from the one everybody has been calling 'staircase remix' for the last 8 years. So this means that Watmm user Elusive has some kind of inside knowledge, which would be super weird. ( he has been finger wagging to every user who calls that other track staircase remix)

edit: how on earth was Luke Vibert able to pretend he didn't know the remix was done by RDJ or someone who sounded exactly like him?

edit2: wait I see its called spiral staircase not scifi, are there 2 different remixes then?

the fuck, totally different remix from the one everybody has been calling 'staircase remix' for the last 8 years. So this means that Watmm user Elusive has some kind of inside knowledge, which would be super weird.

so many nulls in your comment

the fuck, totally different remix from the one everybody has been calling 'staircase remix' for the last 8 years. So this means that Watmm user Elusive has some kind of inside knowledge, which would be super weird.

I apologize, i'll try to reach your level of posting quality in the near future

Guest Chesney

I'd also like to add to the above that I am aware of the amount of comments by people on the Internet are purely for lulz and therefore do not represent the true opinion of the poster but like to take piss anyway. I would put myself in that camp too, I think the majority of people who become comfortable in their preferred web outlet feel they can say anything and the people who matter to them will know what they mean. This is good, and bad but how do we actually achieve the perfectly moral and free way of expressing ourselves? We don't. all we can do is be ourselves and hopefully be self aware enough to take things on the chin, appreciate others points of view while still retaining free speech and the most important thing in the world, fun and comedy.

I apologize, i'll try to reach your level of posting quality in the near future

It was obviously a reference to elusives nulls thread where he went all aggro on everyone. Thought you would get that.

Lighten up.

There are hundreds of people that play off of that " I could be afx" type thing, it's really frustrating. Basically even if an artist is really good if they try and pass themselves off as another artist, I don't buy any of their music. If you have such a low level of artistic integrity that you'll try and pretend you're aphex twin to sell a few records (hey richard wilson, here's looking at you)... well it's like getting a promotion at work for someone elses efforts.

I like you and agree with your feeling regarding fakers. With that said, as a friend of Richard's, I'm going to go on the defensive. When did he ever say he was AFX? It was WATMM that picked up on his Llanys Gargasdgfashtwe8 stuff and cried "It's Aphex!!!!!". Did Beatwife ever try to claim he was?

I like you and agree with your feeling regarding fakers. With that said, as a friend of Richard's, I'm going to go on the defensive. When did he ever say he was AFX? It was WATMM that picked up on his Llanys Gargasdgfashtwe8 stuff and cried "It's Aphex!!!!!". Did Beatwife ever try to claim he was?

Yes, in fact in one thread he said his stuff was so much better than afx and his music was "next level shit" and all kinds of other stuff. I'm going to try and find the thread.

It's part of what turned me off of his music was his attitude, unless it's a case of mistaken identity (which is definitely possible and if that's the case I truly apologize).

Also lots of the youtube stuff was actually tagged as afx and thus showed up when querying aphex/afx, not sure if that's by the uploader or users?

Yes, in fact in one thread he said his stuff was so much better than afx and his music was "next level shit" and all kinds of other stuff. I'm going to try and find the thread.

It's part of what turned me off of his music was his attitude, unless it's a case of mistaken identity (which is definitely possible and if that's the case I truly apologize).

Also lots of the youtube stuff was actually tagged as afx and thus showed up when querying aphex/afx, not sure if that's by the uploader or users?

I'd like to see it if you can find it. I know his friend Tristan talked a bunch of smack here, which might be who you're thinking of. Would love to be proven wrong :)

That might actually be the case man, If I remember, the comments weren't made by the user "beatwife". I think the watmm hivemind just concluded it was richard on a dupe account.

And I do like some of beatwife's music, lord cornwallis was great and so was All Over Yer Face E.P. I just found the cornbrail acid stuff a little too... I don't know the word for it? It reminded me of how Flashbulb tries to emulate Squarepusher, no offense.

Anyway, cheers. sorry for the mistaken identity stuff. His friend tristan was a bit knobby ;)

edit: second apology as I've been quite a knob here without confirming that it was actually richard when making my comments.

Archived