IGNORED

Prurient - Frozen Niagara Falls

I think it's fantastic but you need to treat it as a metal/goth album.

Lyrics are NIN-level embarrassing in parts but overall a strong work.

i hate metal and goth and love prurient.

I think JE is confused that anyone likes it, since he's not into anything by him. (Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth, JE, that's just the sense I get from your posts in other Prurient / Vatican Shadow threads).

im confused mostly by the fact that many people in the noise scene that I know talk about him with respect (except for the holdover old school noises guys who have always been cynical as fuck and brutally honest )

never heard Prurient before, going into this blind was a big wtf moment. This guy's big right now? Not really sure how to process that except for being extremely confused

I liked the fellating the corpse of Bryn Jones stuff better

why confused ? its no really weird music

He's like Merzbow of this decade - a guy which a absurdly large discography of mostly needless harsh noise albums early on who is now making decent stuff. Prurient happens to be fairly accessible, hence the appeal.

I think JE is confused that anyone likes it, since he's not into anything by him. (Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth, JE, that's just the sense I get from your posts in other Prurient / Vatican Shadow threads).

im confused mostly by the fact that many people in the noise scene that I know talk about him with respect (except for the holdover old school noises guys who have always been cynical as fuck and brutally honest )

I've wondered that too, the only person I know IRL is a metal fan I'm acquainted with (I think he wrote the pfork review tbh) and he's a big fan of Dom.

A noise/experimental podcast I listen to, Tabs Out, has never mentioned them, but they've talked about figures like Wolf Eyes, Merzbow, and Aaron Dilloway even when they aren't putting out tapes. I've wondered more about the noise scene's views on Pharmakon as well. Her music is alright but she's def more of a tastemaker music site darling, breaking out of the NYC instantly, whereas literally dozens if not hundreds of equally talented and interesting musicians elsewhere plug along in their local and underground scenes. I don't question the acclaim I just wonder why, and cynically I can only think it's because she's located in NYC.

That all said, I liked this album ok. Not a noise expert so I can't really contextualize it. TItle and lyrics are a bit goofy but I don't care.

Prurient did an hour set before an OPN show I went to a few years ago (bizarrely in a church) and it was pretty much full on Merzbow-esque noises which is a little bit too much for ambient old me, so hearing the previews on this I'm quite [nicely] surprised by the direction he's taken.

He's like Merzbow of this decade

no don't :(

not in quality, worth, or sincerity...i mean he's attracted the same sort of weird crossover appeal into indie music listener habits

like, if you ask someone who doesnt listen to noise Prurient would probably be the one artist they've checked out, and the same could be said of Merzbow 10+ years ago

The funny thing is Dom makes better Metal records as Prurient than with his actual Metal band.

Edit: I like this record as Metal fan with zero interest in Noise. His last few years of releases have been awfully pretty to my ears.

I can imagine this guy posting one of these tracks on an ex gf's facebook wall like "See? Bet you didn't think I was capable of being THAT dark... Now you know how much pain you have caused me..." And then there's a restraining order.

Archived