IGNORED

Your top five 70s albums?

Klopjob

Big fan of Bowie, Kraftwerk and Zep. Just summat about Sabbath, I think their music is probably deeply hidden but somewhere threaded into the core of my DNA.

Look into those first Sabbath albums and there is a blueprint for a lot my personality. Whereas all the rest like Bowie and Zep is just really excellent music.

might have to break some Sabbath out for a road slog next week nowwwww,

sitting next to a turntable are Zappa's Weasels Ripped My Flesh & the Joe's Garage releases, for the spectacular groovathon of the Orange County Lumber Truck (sp?) alone. When he isnt taking the piss and the band cranks it up & Lets rip.....rrrrrrrrockin. Should be taught in all schools.

Amon Dull II's Yeti is a cosmic classic,,,,,, some incredible German music from this period that transcends sound into something shamanic. Holger Czukay's Movies for another Can-related project that is the tits

Ohh man, top 5 would be impossible for me. I listen to more 70's music than just about any other era, I love so much from that period. I'm about to get carried away here:

Bang - Bang (Fucking amazing early metal, Sabbathy but with a whole new style, phenomenal vocals, every song is classic)

Billy Cobham - Spectrum (Jazz fusion drumming at its finest)

Black Sabbath - Paranoid / Master of Reality / Vol. 4 / Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (All untouchable, sacred)

Budgie - Budgie / Squawk / Never Turn Your Back on a Friend / In For the Kill! (Most underrated rock band ever? First 4 albums are just as good as Sabbath, I think)

Buffalo - Volcanic Rock (Some straight up, no-bullshit, filthy hard rock. No fucking around here)

Can - Tago Mago / Ege Bamyasi (Pure studio magic, these two, broke barriers that didn't even exist)

The Doors - Morrison Hotel / L.A. Woman (Has any band even come close to accomplishing what The Doors did?)

Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters / Thrust (Played these both to death. So goddamn funky)

The J.B.'s - Food for Thought / Doing it to Death (Instrumental funk done perfectly, doesn't get better than this)

JPT Scare Band - Acid Acetate Excursion / Rape of the Titan's Sirens (Basement recordings from the 70's that didn't come out til the 90's. The death metal of the 70's with perhaps the most mind blowing unknown guitarist of all time, shreds your face off)

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys (Hendrix, to me, will always be the greatest of all time)

Iron Claw - Iron Claw (Another series of early proto-metal gems that didn't see a release until the 90's, I just love this band. Never skip a track)

James Brown - Sex Machine / Get On The Good Foot / The Payback (The godfather of soul really hit a stride in the 70's, taking funk and live performance to new levels)

King Crimson - Larks' Tongue in Aspic / Starless and Bible Black / Red (What to even say about Crimson? One of the most influential acts of all time, laid the foundation for all of progressive rock)

Leaf Hound - Growers of Mushroom (Unbelievably solid riff-fueled stoner rock, shame these guys didn't see any success)

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On / Let's Get It On (Smooth, soulful bliss. The singing and songwriting are unreal)

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire / Visions of the Emerald Beyond (Some of the best jazz fusion ever recorded, John McLaughlin is easily one of the most absurdly talented musicians of all time)

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew / On The Corner (It's Miles fucking Davis! What else to even say?)

Necromandus - Orexis of Death (Discovered by Tony Iomni, they toured with Sabbath and recorded this album, but sadly it got shelved until just recently. Can only imagine what they would have gone on to accomplish if this came out when intended)

Pentagram - First Daze Here (Perhaps the only early metal band to not cop Sabbath's style at all. Entirely original take with easily just as much influence)

Patto - Patto / Hold Your Fire (Really sick prog-rock trio with soulful vocals, insane jazzy guitar work, and occasional vibraphone!)

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon / Meddle (So blissful, you can just lose yourself in a Floyd album. Everything is so flawlessly refined and executed)

Return To Forever - No Mystery / Where Have I Known You Before? (Off-the charts musicianship. Unparalleled soloing form every member. Absolutely unreal and if you haven't heard it, prepare yourself)

Shakti - Natural Elements (My favorite album from the acoustic Indian-jazz fusion group led by John McLaughlin. No attempt at combining classical Indian music and Western rock aesthetics has ever been executed this well)

Ohh man, top 5 would be impossible for me. I listen to more 70's music than just about any other era, I love so much from that period. I'm about to get carried away here:

Bang - Bang (Fucking amazing early metal, Sabbathy but with a whole new style, phenomenal vocals, every song is classic)

Billy Cobham - Spectrum (Jazz fusion drumming at its finest)

Black Sabbath - Paranoid / Master of Reality / Vol. 4 / Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (All untouchable, sacred)

Budgie - Budgie / Squawk / Never Turn Your Back on a Friend / In For the Kill! (Most underrated rock band ever? First 4 albums are just as good as Sabbath, I think)

Buffalo - Volcanic Rock (Some straight up, no-bullshit, filthy hard rock. No fucking around here)

Can - Tago Mago / Ege Bamyasi (Pure studio magic, these two, broke barriers that didn't even exist)

The Doors - Morrison Hotel / L.A. Woman (Has any band even come close to accomplishing what The Doors did?)

Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters / Thrust (Played these both to death. So goddamn funky)

The J.B.'s - Food for Thought / Doing it to Death (Instrumental funk done perfectly, doesn't get better than this)

JPT Scare Band - Acid Acetate Excursion / Rape of the Titan's Sirens (Basement recordings from the 70's that didn't come out til the 90's. The death metal of the 70's with perhaps the most mind blowing unknown guitarist of all time, shreds your face off)

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys (Hendrix, to me, will always be the greatest of all time)

Iron Claw - Iron Claw (Another series of early proto-metal gems that didn't see a release until the 90's, I just love this band. Never skip a track)

James Brown - Sex Machine / Get On The Good Foot / The Payback (The godfather of soul really hit a stride in the 70's, taking funk and live performance to new levels)

King Crimson - Larks' Tongue in Aspic / Starless and Bible Black / Red (What to even say about Crimson? One of the most influential acts of all time, laid the foundation for all of progressive rock)

Leaf Hound - Growers of Mushroom (Unbelievably solid riff-fueled stoner rock, shame these guys didn't see any success)

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On / Let's Get It On (Smooth, soulful bliss. The singing and songwriting are unreal)

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire / Visions of the Emerald Beyond (Some of the best jazz fusion ever recorded, John McLaughlin is easily one of the most absurdly talented musicians of all time)

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew / On The Corner (It's Miles fucking Davis! What else to even say?)

Necromandus - Orexis of Death (Discovered by Tony Iomni, they toured with Sabbath and recorded this album, but sadly it got shelved until just recently. Can only imagine what they would have gone on to accomplish if this came out when intended)

Pentagram - First Daze Here (Perhaps the only early metal band to not cop Sabbath's style at all. Entirely original take with easily just as much influence)

Patto - Patto / Hold Your Fire (Really sick prog-rock trio with soulful vocals, insane jazzy guitar work, and occasional vibraphone!)

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon / Meddle (So blissful, you can just lose yourself in a Floyd album. Everything is so flawlessly refined and executed)

Return To Forever - No Mystery / Where Have I Known You Before? (Off-the charts musicianship. Unparalleled soloing form every member. Absolutely unreal and if you haven't heard it, prepare yourself)

Shakti - Natural Elements (My favorite album from the acoustic Indian-jazz fusion group led by John McLaughlin. No attempt at combining classical Indian music and Western rock aesthetics has ever been executed this well)

I wish you were the landlord at my local pub

Hahaha why's that?

me and my four mates walk in, I ask for 5 pints of beer, and you pour me 55 :tongue:

and the jukebox would be fucking fantastic lol

Hahaha why's that?

me and my four mates walk in, I ask for 5 pints of beer, and you pour me 55 :tongue:

and the jukebox would be fucking fantastic lol

Oh hell yeah. I could go on forever about beer too. A bit too American to run a British pub though I think haha

Guest jsc909

It has to be...

Fear of Music

Low

Before and After Science

Autobahn

Never Mind the Bollocks

more Miles,,,,, def Live-Evil. If you have the Cellar Door/DC release these are different tracks from the same range of shows & sessions & equally magnificent.

specialhandgesturepose/10

Donny Hathaway - Live .......has a 13mins groove-fest of Voices Inside/Everything Is Everything that is an epiphany of a higher power breaking through. I worship that tune.

Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead & History of the Grateful Dead (Bear's Choice)......full range of the Dead in their post-acid-test collective comedown prime & what a band, from weary country ballads showcasing Pigpen's mastery of the blues, to unbeatable jams that they truly do not make the likes of any more. Genius.

Allman Bothers Band - At Fillmore East ......another glimpse showcasing Duane Allman owning the electric 6-string. There are bootlegs of stuff w/Jerry Garcia & Clapton, but In Memory of Elizabeth Reed off this beast is as good as it gets

someone mentioned 20 Jazz Funk Greats. I like the Throb but they wouldn't be anywhere near my top 5, even being as influential as they are. I lean heavily in favour of punk/post-punk.

Archived