IGNORED

Sesame Credit - new social control tool in china

delet...

I don't know much about China, but could it be that Sesame Credit works because it's already been taking place, only implicitly? I mean, I can't see something like this just coming out of the blue (well, I guess it's plausible). Could it be that compliance has been rewarded for a long time in China, and they're just gamifying it now? Again, I'm asking cause I genuinely don't know.

I don't know much about China, but could it be that Sesame Credit works because it's already been taking place, only implicitly? I mean, I can't see something like this just coming out of the blue (well, I guess it's plausible). Could it be that compliance has been rewarded for a long time in China, and they're just gamifying it now? Again, I'm asking cause I genuinely don't know.

Yeah Chinese culture is obsessed with 'face' and shame

(That's why the suicide rate is through the roof)

In China, there is a suite of anxiety disorders having to do with 'face'

(For instance, 'fear of being too polite' is one)

I've never heard of a culture so neurotic over what other people think of you

I guess if Sesame Credit were gonna happen anywhere, China makes the most sense

Sent from my pee-pee using poo-poo

just watched those videos in dleet's first post, that's downright disturbing. what happens in 2020 if you're an old person with no internet and who never buys shit from alibaba? do you get a social credit score anyway?

Well the Chinese, are good at jacking authority and creating hidden parallel economies. They're already holding lots of Bitcoin for example. Problem is, with gps tracking on phones, and mics always on looking for keywords and government algorithms sifting through all this data looking for patterns that might suggest something is amiss, the opportunity for dissent appears to be narrowing. hrmm, everytime I try to think of a a way it can be broken, the way the system will work foils it.

But anyway, I think we'll have to rely on the stubbornness of the people to make this work for them on one hand, whilst ripping it off with the other. Apparently the rural chinese, didn't rigidly follow the one child policy and were more autonomous from government dictate, the government just didn't have the resources to change that, so their lives were hard but perhaps a little freer from the man, heh. Now though cities are being built everywhere that people are moving into, and this control grid will be perfect to capture more of the population than before into the arms of mother country.

Personally, i'm gonna hack dat shit, build/steal an algorithm to post bullshit for high scores, then have my dick sucked by 24 hour patriotic toiler and some sexy succubus lusting real power.

At least, this is my initial plan.

this is pretty nightmarish stuff alright. I remember a similar concept from singularity SF book Accelerando by Charlie Stross, though I think that was a more decentralised model that was more about establishing trust relationships between individuals, but possibly had some more centralised effects as well. this kind of thing should remind everyone why social networks as they currently exist are a bad thing, and everyone should stop using them.

• 3 months later...

Archived