IGNORED

Christian Mythology and History

Rubin Farr

Being the month of the Solstice, and seeing how the ISIS thread has generated several Secular vs Religious comments, I thought now would be a good time to have an academic discussion of the Christian mythological background, and history. It's no secret that Christmas was moved from Summer (Somewhere around Jesus' birth on June 17) to the Winter Solstice around 336AD, during Constantine's reign. Just like what Gospels were included in the Bible, the Christian Church has done some revisionist history here and there for the past several thousand years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice

And you can't mention Christmas since the 20th Century without mentioning Santa Claus, based on Father Christmas, who was based on St. Nicholas of Myra. He lived in the late 3rd Century til around 343AD according to historical texts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

Not being religious myself, it still fascinates me as a fan of anthropology how humans revise what they believe in to suit the times they live in. The dark-haired, dark-skinned Jewish Rabi Jesus of Nazareth was retconned by the Catholic Church into a long blonde-haired blue-eyed Caucasian with great abs. He also became more asexual, born of divine conception, and never having married Mary Magdalene, or having any children with her, or having Siblings himself.

What other facts are the members on here familiar with? Educate me.

Similarities between Pagan and Christian practices

The early Christians and Pagans shared many rituals and practices. Authors Freke & Gandy appear to assume that all of the copying was done by Christians from Pagan sources. 3 However, some might have gone in the opposite direction. During the 3rd century CE, Mithraism and Christianity were the main competitors for the religious affiliation the citizens of Romans. Some Christian practices might have actually been picked up by the Mithraites, rather than vice-versa.

Many early Christians celebrated Jesus' birthday on JAN-6. Armenian Christians still do. In Alexandria, in what is now Egypt, the birthday of their god-man, Aion, was also celebrated on JAN-6.

Christians and most Pagans eventually celebrated the birthday of their god-man on DEC-25.

According to an ancient Christian tradition, Christ died on MAR-23 and resurrected on MAR-25. These dates agree precisely with the death and resurrection of Attis.

Baptism was a principal ritual; it washed away a person's sins. In some rituals, Baptism was performed by sprinkling holy water on the believer; in others, the person was totally immersed.

The most important sacrament was a ritual meal of bread and wine which symbolize the god-man's body and blood. His followers were accused of engaging in cannibalism.

Early Christians initiated converts in March and April by baptism. Mithraism initiated their new members at this time as well.

Early Christians were naked when they were baptized. After immersion, they then put on white clothing and a crown. They carried a candle and walked in a procession to a basilica. Followers of Mithra were also baptized naked, put on white clothing and a crown, and walked in a procession to the temple. However, they carried torches.

At Pentecost, the followers of Jesus were recorded as speaking in tongues. At Trophonius and Delos, the Pagan priestesses also spoke in tongues: They appeared to speak in such a way that each person present heard her words in the observer's own language.

An inscription to Mithras reads:

"He who will not eat of my body and drink of my blood, so that he will be made on with me and I with him, the same shall not know salvation." 1 In John 6:53-54, Jesus is said to have repeated this theme: "...Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day." (KJV)

The Bible records that Jesus was crucified between two thieves. One went to heaven and the other to hell. In the Mithras mysteries, a common image showed Mithras flanked by two torchbearers, one on either side. One held a torch pointed upwards, the other downwards. This symbolized ascent to heaven or descent to hell.

In Attis, a bull was slaughtered while on a perforated platform. The animal's blood flowed down over an initiate who stood in a pit under the platform. The believer was then considered to have been "born again." Poor people could only afford a sheep, and so were literally washed in the blood of the lamb. This practice was interpreted symbolically by Christians.

There were many additional points of similarity between Mithraism and Christianity. 2 St. Augustine even declared that the priests of Mithraism worshiped the same God as he did:

Followers of both religions celebrated a ritual meal involving bread. It was called a missa in Latin or mass in English.

Both the Catholic church and Mithraism had a total of seven sacraments.

Epiphany, JAN-6, was originally the festival in which the followers of Mithra celebrated the visit of the Magi to their newborn god-man. The Christian Church took it over in the 9th century.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa1.htm

timing, Rubin

out driving earlier this whole subject was part of a BBC Radio4 program w/Professor Ronald Hutton himself, 1 of Britain's more articulate and eccentric (pre)historians

he does for religious studies, archaeology & paganism what AJP Taylor did for modern history,,,,,,, crackin broadcast although u'll prob have to proxy it if yer abroad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06s8bpt

Not being religious myself, it still fascinates me as a fan of anthropology how humans revise what they believe in to suit the times they live in. The dark-haired, dark-skinned Jewish Rabi Jesus of Nazareth was retconned by the Catholic Church into a long blonde-haired blue-eyed Caucasian

The blonde, blue-eyed Jesus is an atheist strawman. Virtually no Christians believe in it. That's not to say you can't find images of Jesus with blonde hair and blue eyes (though I don't recall ever having seen one), but you can also find images of Asian Jesus, Hispanic Jesus and Black Jesus. People tend to draw Jesus as a member of their own race because it doesn't matter what race he was.

He also became more asexual, born of divine conception, and never having married Mary Magdalene, or having any children with her

Hi Dan

That picture is so old, 10 years perhaps at least, has nobody really ever seen it before?

How has it been resurfaced into the clickbait atmosphere as a "shocking totally new thingy that you won't believe!" thing ?

edit: found, its from this show from 2001 => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_God_(TV_series)

i dunno really, having been to Lourdes & doing the whole stations of the cross, public bath/healing weirdness as a kid, with sketchy touchy rapey priests and other shadey dealings, its prob been 1 of the main reasons for studying prehistoric Europe, shamanism, animism, the Neolithic transition, cos they did strange shit in prehistory

bull skulls in house foundation layers

composite mummies in knees up bundle poses in Scotland

the Anglicization of Britain

Neolithic monuments like Wayland's Smithy & the stones of Stenness/Brodgar complex,

Newgrange burial complex in Eire is an experience

if you dont get a sense of wonder at some of these sites,,,,,,,

its these older traces, in language, culture, genetics & landscapes that pull the complexity of previous traditions into focus and its interesting when/where christianity appropriates & colonizes, factoid the Isle of Wight was entirely pagan until about the 7th or 8th Century AD and then the entire population was slaughterd. The Romans did exactly the same to the Druids on Anglesey/Ynys Mon centuries earlier

rather than try n derail things more just a side note that Julian Cope's Modern Antiquarian is a ripping yarn, anything by Richard Bradley specifically 'The Idea of Order: The Circular Archetype in Prehistoric Europe 2012' and anything by Amanda Aldhouse-Green on the Druids & Celtic Gods. You see the timelines, patterns, archetypes, symbols, systems, power, death, place, landmarks, performance, ritual, networks, war, whole civilizations rise & fall time n again

but just imagine Rust Cohle @ Avebury

Archived