IGNORED

The Field - The Follower

joshuatxuk

TMT annoucement

It’s like a uniquely delicious banana that you just ate continuously reappearing on your kitchen counter, and thinking that you’d eventually grow tired of its wonderful taste, each chewing session is equally enjoyable and somehow subtly different from the last!

Axel Willner a.k.a. The Field certainly has a knack for avoiding staleness while maintaining his distinct sound within the confines of ambient techno, and it’s kind of a weird phenomenon, because each of the previous four albums in his discography sound so superficially similar that it’s a wonder that Willner himself hasn’t had a lapse in sanity and sued himself for copyright infringement. A desire to sound recognizably like The Field continues with his upcoming The Follower, but those with an extremely particular preference for danceable music that stops short of making you sweat might be overwhelmed. This new one is supposedly “ambient techno on steroids” and The Field’s “most floor-attuned work yet.”

The Follower comes out April 1 on Kompakt, and on a thematic level, Willner said it’s about “old myths, finding utopia and how mankind repeatedly makes the same mistake over and over.” And ovre. And ovre. and ovre. And ovre. And ovre. He clearly chose the right musical style to address this, by the way.

The Follower tracklisting:

01. The Follower
02. Pink Sun
03. Monte Veritá
04. Soft Streams
05. Raise The Dead
06. Reflecting Lights

TMT annoucement

It’s like a uniquely delicious banana that you just ate continuously reappearing on your kitchen counter, and thinking that you’d eventually grow tired of its wonderful taste, each chewing session is equally enjoyable and somehow subtly different from the last!

Axel Willner a.k.a. The Field certainly has a knack for avoiding staleness while maintaining his distinct sound within the confines of ambient techno, and it’s kind of a weird phenomenon, because each of the previous four albums in his discography sound so superficially similar that it’s a wonder that Willner himself hasn’t had a lapse in sanity and sued himself for copyright infringement. A desire to sound recognizably like The Field continues with his upcoming The Follower, but those with an extremely particular preference for danceable music that stops short of making you sweat might be overwhelmed. This new one is supposedly “ambient techno on steroids” and The Field’s “most floor-attuned work yet.”

The Follower comes out April 1 on Kompakt, and on a thematic level, Willner said it’s about “old myths, finding utopia and how mankind repeatedly makes the same mistake over and over.” And ovre. And ovre. and ovre. And ovre. And ovre. He clearly chose the right musical style to address this, by the way.

The Follower tracklisting:

01. The Follower

02. Pink Sun

03. Monte Veritá

04. Soft Streams

05. Raise The Dead

06. Reflecting Lights

psyched for this. everything from him is at least v good. the little heart beats so fast is still an all-timer for me.

[youtubehd]a0BPebqQ-Hs[/youtubehd]

You know albums that are growers, well to me The Field's entire discography has been that way. I was a huge fan of his first album and singles before that, it was quite prophetic in terms of simple but clever sample flipping as a technique imo, but I grew disinterested in his follow up stuff. I did not warm up to the remainder of his work until years after the fact but when I did it clicked. Unparalleled work background music too, I binged on his stuff when drafting at work sometimes.

Saw him live in November during the Neon Lights festival in Singapore. Excellent live, though not very lively (sat down, did his set, and left). I got a picture with him, I'll post it when I figure out how to.

last album wars nart gard

Yeah, I really struggled with Cupid's Head too. It just didn't do anything for me compared to his previous output. However, I might give it another listen today and see what it's like after not having listened to it for ages. Sequenced and Its Up There are my fav tracks from his previous stuff. Always thought it would be cool to see The Field live.

You know albums that are growers, well to me The Field's entire discography has been that way. I was a huge fan of his first album and singles before that, it was quite prophetic in terms of simple but clever sample flipping as a technique imo, but I grew disinterested in his follow up stuff. I did not warm up to the remainder of his work until years after the fact but when I did it clicked. Unparalleled work background music too, I binged on his stuff when drafting at work sometimes.

what do you draft

Saw him live in November during the Neon Lights festival in Singapore. Excellent live, though not very lively (sat down, did his set, and left). I got a picture with him, I'll post it when I figure out how to.

thats weird... me and enter a new display name saw him many moons ago in montreal with a live drummer and bassist on the.... looping state of mind tour and it was super energetic. I think that was the live drummer tho

what do you draft

land surveys, mostly new property lots

it can be tedious and dull (foundation checks) to quite enjoyable (large boundary/topographic surveys)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived