IGNORED

Nine dead in fire at 100% Silk party in Oakland

cooliofranco

My community just got a lot smaller. We've lost some truly talented, beautiful people and we're going to be reeling from this for a long time.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My community just got a lot smaller. We've lost some truly talented, beautiful people and we're going to be reeling from this for a long time.

I'm sorry for your loss. It's a tragedy.

qYfNe0pl.jpg

Holy fuck that place was a tinderbox. "campstove and butane tanks", "pallet staircase", inaccessable back exit", and stealing power illegally from the auto shop next door.

Fuck him. He looks like the kind of person who would abandon everyone to save his own hide.

I can't help but think this will happen to us in Houston. We're gonna burn for Pritchard.

followup q: which Richert tune would you prefer to die to in a venue fire? seeing as we're talking about a live setting, it's gotta be a thumper and not, say, Rhubarb or something easy.

I think I'd go with the noise section of 54 Cymru Beats as the smoke inhalation got to me.

who's joking? I am simply pledging my faithfulness to Dickard PBUH through my trak of choice, were I to ascend to His glory by a cleansing fire.

(RIP the victims here, obviously)

I can't help but think this will happen to us in Houston. We're gonna burn for Pritchard.

followup q: which Richert tune would you prefer to die to in a venue fire? seeing as we're talking about a live setting, it's gotta be a thumper and not, say, Rhubarb or something easy.

I think I'd go with the noise section of 54 Cymru Beats as the smoke inhalation got to me.

28 Organ

https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/2895

The reality is that in North America, these kinds of underground spaces are necessary. People use them because they have no other options. All around the continent, even legal venues exist in a perpetual push-pull between their cultural importance and their economic reality.

qYfNe0pl.jpg

Holy fuck that place was a tinderbox. "campstove and butane tanks", "pallet staircase", inaccessable back exit", and stealing power illegally from the auto shop next door.

Fuck him. He looks like the kind of person who would abandon everyone to save his own hide.

Looks like he didn't realize he would need a lawyer present for the interview. I'm not interested in pointing fingers, but I would say he is responsible.

I was just getting into this scene before I recently left the bay area and it is one of the best things going on there in my opinion. There are lots of talented and inspired people there.

Any producers in the area show your support and stop by, lots of appreciation for music there.

Guest bitroast

irresponsible doods should be held accountable for irresponsible actions. 

don't give a fuck about anyone saying housing is expensive or that it was a caring environment for artists. 

shits expensive. move. can't afford rent but don't wanna move? share house if you gotta. get a job? i donno. the whole thing seems irresponsible and i don't like the idea of normalising it just because of the artistic aspirations associated with it. 

living the dream. :^| shit's fucked. 

woooooowwww man. WOOOOOOOOWWWWowowow. 

irresponsible doods should be held accountable for irresponsible actions. 

don't give a fuck about anyone saying housing is expensive or that it was a caring environment for artists. 

shits expensive. move. can't afford rent but don't wanna move? share house if you gotta. get a job? i donno. the whole thing seems irresponsible and i don't like the idea of normalising it just because of the artistic aspirations associated with it. 

living the dream. :^| shit's fucked. 

woooooowwww man. WOOOOOOOOWWWWowowow. 

Are you suggesting sole responsibility on the landlord?

Just asking.

Guest bitroast

*shrug* 

i'd rather leave that to a legal process more than just asking some random dude on the internet (me).

but more than anything, i'm suggesting that whoever is responsible should be held accountable.. 

i don't like the excuse that housing is expensive and artists don't have a space to express themselves type mentality, when this place was clearly breaching safety protocols and not providing a safe environment for people to live in. 

I hear ya for sure. I think it's a shit excuse. 

I just know the law works a certain way generally and more often than not the victims get the short end of the stick.

The landlord will be held responsible to the end that he held the venue/building out as being up to code/safe etc. It sounds stupid but if the guy so much as put a sign up stating that the building was getting electrical work done, was missing this or that safety apparatus, etc, that might absolve him.

The legal world of safety is f'ed.

I think that landlord should go down for this tbh, he seems like a completely disingenuous douchebag.... Really bugs me because I know if I was someone inviting hundreds into MY space, I wouldn't do so unless I knew those people would be safe.

/endrant but yeah 

edit: accountability could even belong to the original builder or the owner, it depends how they "held out" IE what they represented the building to be.... Really it remains to be seen. Even though it won't bring any of these people back...

Still the main focus here for me is that this could have happened to me, or anyone I know, just going out to have a good time. A fucking real tragedy. Brings me back to some of the Paris massacre stuff. Hits home.

maybe the underground wouldn't be the underground if it wasn't extremely difficult to sustain morale and organize events. Not only is it impossible to build an authentic audience, but the government fights you every step of the way. I guess fizzling out is what it's all about.

In truth, I'm lucky to live somewhere with zero scene.

Mainly it just felt unjust to hear the media coverage in the days after, which not only blamed the victims, but blamed the entire idea of diy spaces and underground music. But I guess that's the norm.

Archived