IGNORED

Roland SPD One Electronic Drum Pads

wtf is this.

guess if you're a drummer and you know zilch about anything and you just want to hit something with a stick and have 300+ $, this is the product for you?

then, you get all 4 and have spent 1200 $ for 4 simultaneous very static sounds. Congstar.

A friend of mine has one of those 80s Boss synth drums that these are visually modeled after, it's really fun and costs about the same secondhand.

If they'd just made a next generation version of that and priced it to compete with the Volcas it would be pretty cool.

EDIT: according to the comments, the actual street price on Sweetwater is $199, which makes this seem a lot less ridiculous.  Not something I need, and still frankly overpriced for how simple it really is in terms of manufacture and design, but a lot more in line with the market.

But they still should have made a single model with the full sound set of the line for that price, splitting them up is pure (typical) modern Roland dickery unless they are actually some kind of discrete circuit instead of DSP (that's a joke, because of course they're DSP).

For the cost of four of these you could have a Nord Drum 2 with the pad.

Also the "natural" samples sound really cheesy, and the dub siren in particular is just ridiculous.

Honestly, when was the last time Roland put something out worth buying?

The boutiques are great if they were a bit cheaper. I'd love a 303 clone to mess around with, even if it's digital. The System-8 looks gr8 too but it's quite expensive.

Honestly, when was the last time Roland put something out worth buying?

The boutiques are great if they were a bit cheaper. I'd love a 303 clone to mess around with, even if it's digital. The System-8 looks gr8 too but it's quite expensive.

Yeah, in general it seems like the issue with the new Roland stuff is not so much that it's bad per-se as that it's priced about twice what it should be and they spread the features out across multiple devices that are essentially identical under the hood, to make you buy two or three already overpriced boxes to get the features they could have put into a single unit.  It's their business model that's the problem.

The Boutique stuff would be really cool if it was maybe 2/3 the price and was a single machine that you could load any of the different models in to (basically what they already did with the VariOS 15+ years ago, except with an actual control surface).  Even if you could only load a single model on at one time from a computer (again like the VariOS) and cost at most $250 it would be pretty cool for people who were just getting started or on a budget or looking for something to play out with that was portable and wouldn't be a huge loss if it was broken or stolen. As it is, there are literally "boutique" options available that cost less, do more and sound just as good.

I think we're really not the target market for these lol.. shame because they look super cute

It's a bit of a shame that they didn't decide to remake the pc-2/hc-2; I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat!

I think we're really not the target market for these lol.. shame because they look super cute

It's a bit of a shame that they didn't decide to remake the pc-2/hc-2; I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat!

Definitely not.  What bugs me is that the people who RE the target market are getting seriously overcharged.

I forget whether you are into DIY at all, but if you are there's a semimodular clone kit for $99 USD.

Yeah tbh if I wanted it enough I'd probably learn to make one with arduino.. or make something on the nord modular that can take (amplified) input from a contact mic..

• 3 weeks later...

I forget whether you are into DIY at all, but if you are there's a semimodular clone kit for $99 USD.

Is all of the audio coming from that one unit?

https://youtu.be/0okLPSstNcU

This is a more accurate demo:

Not sure why so many demos of it have backing tracks the whole time.

Those other drums sounds might have been made with it and recorded in a few passes, I guess, but not all live.

Archived