IGNORED

VRchat

YangYing

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

goddamn this looks OTT. you guys keep delving deeper into this shit and you're gonna cross barriers, living out the rest of your life in an alternate universe dank memes thread.

what makes this reality any more real than others we create ourselves? :sorcerer:

The physical sensations of being kicked in the fucking face or the deep shame of having to go door to door in your neighborhood alerting people to the fact that you're now a level 2 sex offender after indiscriminately running around people's ankles and looking up women's skirts with a fake african accent telling them you want to "show dem da wae". Until some serious strides in haptic feedback are made you're just not going to experience such things as vividly in VRchat.

aye, I agree fully with you! but to me it feels like from television to movies to video games to vr the technological development (atleast in the entertainment industry) is moving more and more towards replacing this reality with a "better" "easier" etc reality. I'm not that taken by this particular step in the development.. but I dread to imagine where it's headed to!

I spent 2 hrs last night trying to bunny-hop to the other side of a chasm where I was told I could find de wey. I got there and there was nothing.

*uninstalls*

goddamn this looks OTT. you guys keep delving deeper into this shit and you're gonna cross barriers, living out the rest of your life in an alternate universe dank memes thread.

I'm hoping that like a dying star, it'll get huge pulling in all the memes from the rest of the universe, before dying and consuming all the fuckers into a black hole never to be seen again.

I'm hoping that like a dying star, it'll get huge pulling in all the memes from the rest of the universe, before dying and consuming all the fuckers into a black hole never to be seen again.

your old is showing XD

• 3 weeks later...

i see a lot of potential in this similar to second life or plug.dj where DJs can group up and play their own tracks or other dank IDM. just logging in for the first time today and trying to figure all this out. i just entered a "club" and they're playing sandstorm. we need like a weekly/biweekly/monthly IDM/experimental electronic group chat

i see a lot of potential in this similar to second life or plug.dj where DJs can group up and play their own tracks or other dank IDM. just logging in for the first time today and trying to figure all this out. i just entered a "club" and they're playing sandstorm. we need like a weekly/biweekly/monthly IDM/experimental electronic group chat

im all up for this idea, but we'd need to get the time out to actually do it... who knows, maybe it already exists?

Honestly, this shit scares me. It's going way too far into the realm of superfluity. And the fact that ~90% are probably awful NEET parasite types makes it even more toxic and nightmarish. It's just another hole they can escape to while sucking the life out of everyone around them irl.

Honestly, this shit scares me. It's going way too far into the realm of superfluity. And the fact that ~90% are probably awful NEET parasite types makes it even more toxic and nightmarish. It's just another hole they can escape to while sucking the life out of everyone around them irl.

I wouldn't say there is anything inherently bad about escaping this reality is just.. different. who knows where the development will end up... but as I mentioned before it seems like technology is converging into replacing the "irl" with a "better" irl if that makes sense.. is that bad? is it unethical? toxic? time will tell...

Well maybe it's just because it's in its infancy, but I wouldn't call it a better irl by any means. Where's the challenge? The sense of hard work and payoff? It's fine to do it I guess if you're actually contributing something to society, or even the virtual society. If they could figure out how to use VR for something tangible and good that's great, but right now the thing looks like a bunch of low effort trash and memeing. It's ok I guess, not much different than people playing video games and stuff but if that's all your life consists of I would say that looks pretty sad and empty.

But hey, I guess the internet is just one step down from that, and how much time do we collectively spend here? Perspective is good. I need to spend less time computing fo sho.

nah I'm saying that's where the development is going. I'm rather unimpressed by this particular instance of it.. but the idea of having machines do the hard work while we live our perfect lifes inside some simulation is.. thought provoking.. and not a far fetched future it seems!

And if challenge and difficulty are implemented, what is the point of replacing this reality with a lower resolution version of it? I mean, I get it to some extent. One could easily draw a parallel between this discussion and the relationship between acoustic vs electronic music... why do it at all? For the creative possibilities I guess? The problem with this VR is that it's very far from beautiful. Even if one were to create a beautiful soaring landscape, does it satisfy in the same way that traveling in a beautiful but dangerous wilderness would? Without a sense of danger, you have no way to truly cherish the experience on a deep level. It's way easier to take for granted. For this same reason, I think it's why you see so many nerds and techie types say they were truly happier after starting a workout regimen and/or spending time in the outdoors/wilderness. There's greater stakes and it's difficult, but in exchange for that you get a better dopamine payoff.

nah I'm saying that's where the development is going. I'm rather unimpressed by this particular instance of it.. but the idea of having machines do the hard work while we live our perfect lifes inside some simulation is.. thought provoking.. and not a far fetched future it seems!

Yeah, it is thought provoking. It would be cool to see what people can come up with, but I feel like just looking at something real can provide more of a sense of wonder, for instance, look at the sets and costume design on Game of Thrones or something: a single artist could do something just as spectacular in VR with polygons and shaders and stuff, however, isnt it more impressive that a group of people came together with different skills, opinions, and tastes and worked in unison to painstakingly create it all? And more, you can smell, touch, taste, their work if you went to the set, not just see or hear it.

I think we're delving into the simulation theory discussion.. I mean it correlates with why people use drugs to enhance or escape this reality etc.. I have kinda lost my point but anyways: is interesting and I reckon vr/similar technology will play a big role in the future of humanity (edit: assuming we will last long enough)

I agree, it probably will. I think it has huge potential, I shouldn't diss the medium, it's a blank canvas really. It will be cool when people make cool Grantz Gaf style stuff and things that we can't even imagine yet. I guess yeah, I'm basically criticizing the escapists and druggie mentality, which is probably because I know what it's like to be like that, and I still feel a lot of guilt about it. It hurts the people around you, even when it isn't immediately obvious. You drag society down. It seems that this stuff is attracting that demographic at the moment, but someday it will probably be something quite special and beautiful.

Archived