IGNORED

Plaid Interview: new album incoming

NewSchoolScience

Interesting it's on WARP... I thought their contract was over a while back?

Yeah, I remember them saying in an interview a good few years ago (possibly before Reachy Prints?) that they were at the end of their contract with Warp, that they weren't really happy with the financial side of it (I seem to remember them saying something along the lines of Warp getting half the sales revenue or more?), but that they had a strong emotional connection to the label because they'd been together for so long and that they hoped they could work something out to the benefit of both parties.  It was right after that that these band specific micro-sites starting popping up as shops for Warp's 'big' names.  Plaid were first I believe, with that new album, and then Autechre and then Aphex etc. etc.  I wonder if the bands get a larger slice of the revenue from sales through their own branded Warp microsites, when compared to sales direct from Warp/Bleep?  Not sure, but I always make a point of buying from the microsites on the off chance that it puts more money in the artist's pockets.

Anyways, really looking forward to this new album.  These guys just keep flying along under the radar, seemingly never getting the props they deserve, but their output is consistently excellent.  Nobody does melody like them.

Interesting it's on WARP... I thought their contract was over a while back?

Yeah, I remember them saying in an interview a good few years ago (possibly before Reachy Prints?) that they were at the end of their contract with Warp, that they weren't really happy with the financial side of it (I seem to remember them saying something along the lines of Warp getting half the sales revenue or more?), but that they had a strong emotional connection to the label because they'd been together for so long and that they hoped they could work something out to the benefit of both parties.  It was right after that that these band specific micro-sites starting popping up as shops for Warp's 'big' names.  Plaid were first I believe, with that new album, and then Autechre and then Aphex etc. etc.  I wonder if the bands get a larger slice of the revenue from sales through their own branded Warp microsites, when compared to sales direct from Warp/Bleep?  Not sure, but I always make a point of buying from the microsites on the off chance that it puts more money in the artist's pockets.

Anyways, really looking forward to this new album.  These guys keep on flying along under the radar, seemingly never getting the props they deserve, but their output is consistently excellent.  Nobody does melody like them.

Yeah, it was after Scintilli and before Reachy Prints (I think, might be getting the timeline wrong), but then The Digging Remedy came out, so perhaps they managed to work something out and stay with the label that they are most associated with.

Either way, excited to see (and hear) Plaid's latest direction!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived