IGNORED

ERP - Afterimage

gated

• 7 months later...
26 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

no digitals is weak as fuck honestly. just going to pirate it than hand over the odds for limited vinyls. dont they understand this?

It’s precisely for this reason that I haven’t actually listened to this album anywhere near as much as I’d want to.

1 hour ago, dr lopez said:

no digitals is weak as fuck honestly. just going to pirate it than hand over the odds for limited vinyls. dont they understand this?

Yeah kind of shitty. But a lot of Gerard’s stuff is limited - sadly the reason I’ve missed some. That being said...this is a phenomenal album worth the $$. Also have tracked down digis for regular listening...

4 hours ago, species8472 said:

what other electro albums do you think fall into this category? love me some reccos.

Morphology - Urania's Mirror

Soul Oddity - Tone Capsule (maybe not traditional electro)

Elektroids - Elektroworld

Cygnus - Radical User Interfaces (EP)

Photodementia LP

Lowfish - Memories Are Uncertain Friends

Agree on the Dopplereffekt. And of course any Kraftwerk or Model 500.

...off the top of my head.  I'm sure I'm missing a ton.

Or just track down every ERP remix/one-off/ep while your at it.  They are all good.

Edited by Extralife

10 hours ago, dr lopez said:

gesamtkunstwerk - dopplereffekt

Essential release but maybe a bit too dark in comparison to ERP. Some tracks by arpanet got that nice melodic touch

Edited by d-a-m-o

• 1 year later...

I have to admit that although I have most of Hanson's discography I get very easily bored with ERP, the sound is so self-similar on these albums that they get relegated to background ambience.

48 minutes ago, dcom said:

I have to admit that although I have most of Hanson's discography I get very easily bored with ERP, the sound is so self-similar on these albums that they get relegated to background ambience.

Ouch. Normally you are spot on but I beg to differ here. Opinions eh?

17 minutes ago, Extralife said:

The album material doesn't have as much variance as the EPs do, Hanson's production values are on point but in general his sound is very safe compared to some more adventurous electro producers. ERP is almost always recognizable as ERP, but I couldn't for the life of me name most of his tracks if you played them to me.

Edited by dcom

16 hours ago, kuniklo said:

No digitals means I ignore it. Sorry there’s just way too much great new music coming out right now to leave any room for that kind of elitism or arrogance. I won’t even bother to look for a rip. 

Well I feel you and generally feel this way as well. It’s just annoying as a fan who does not want to dust off a record player not to hear this music. The shame of it is that it is an excellent album, so I still listen to my rip regularly, rather than lossless files I should have got for shelling out for this 2LP.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 6:28 PM, Extralife said:

I pulled the albums from the shelf and gave them a thorough, mindful listen: Hanson's production values are dotting the i's and crossing the t's, and he's firmly in my category of top electro producers. Nevertheless, on Exomoon almost all tracks have the same/similar bass sound he's been using and re-using for ages, and the bass patterns and chord progressions have enough in common to be well nigh interchangeable; the percussion sounds and patterns, too. Afterimage has more variance, though the bass sound and basic patterns make an appearance on a track or two there as well. I'm not saying that he is making the same track over and over, but there is certainly an oft-used recipe he varies. These things make his sound instantly recognizable, but to me, many of the tracks blend into one.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dcom said:

I pulled the albums from the shelf and gave them a thorough, mindful listen: Hanson's production values are dotting the i's and crossing the t's, and he's firmly in my category of top electro producers. Nevertheless, on Exomoon almost all tracks have the same/similar bass sound he's been using and re-using for ages, and the bass patterns and chord progressions have enough in common to be well nigh interchangeable; the percussion sounds and patterns, too. Afterimage has more variance, though the bass sound and basic patterns make an appearance on a track or two there as well. I'm not saying that he is making the same track over and over, but there is certainly an oft-used recipe he varies. These things make his sound instantly recognizable, but to me, many of the tracks blend into one.

Afterimage is definitely the better album of the two. I hear what you are saying about the similarities between the tracks - but the same thing could be said for many electro artists. Anyway - props for giving an extra listen.