IGNORED

Drambo

Limo

You guys seen this?

http://www.beepstreet.com/ios/drambo

It’s a modular music studio for iOS that comes with more than a hundred  modules including samplers and stuff and a sequencer that can be p-locked.

Demos look interesting. Here’s a quick overview:

But there’s more. I thought the “samplers” demo was pretty neat as well:

All this for 22 bucks. Tempting.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got it yesterday (grab it while there's still a discount if you're interested.It's mega fun and intuitive but can clearly go pretty deep too. I'm very impressed with the UI, it really takes advantage of the touchscreen and makes the workflow natural and breezy.

Love the inclusion of parameter locks, scenes and a cross fader so that you can morph between them (attached vid for quick example). Loads of nice generative stuff too if that's your bag.

RPReplay_Final1587035602-iphonepod.mp4
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

got an iphone se 2016 a while ago and I'm running it on there, you can do whole tracks in it even with a small screen like the se2016. it's really good at a lot of things. might get an ipad at some point, but I kind of like the super portable nature of it now.

It’s amazing. I just wish I could set pattern length to 8 steps so i could work on short micro evolving loops without having to page over. To compensate I’ve been setting it to 9 step patterns, and the whole thing displays in portrait orientation. Then with step conditions you can do a lot

I got a good feeling that with being able to run iOS apps on the new M1 Macbook Pro laptops this will finally move apps like this from "toy" category to "I can use this". It's definitely a personal holdup for me though.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Valleyfold said:

I think it does run on a Mac with the newest OS, not natively but however they are running iPhone apps on Macs now. 

Only if the developer explicitly enables it, though.

36 minutes ago, thawkins said:

Is it only the new M1 Macs or everything on Big Sur can run iOS apps?

No, only M1 Macs - on account of them having ARM CPUs, like iOS devices.

Yeah the M1 thing is such a huge change even though both regular Macs and the new ones are running the same operating system!

I was almost about to get the new M1, but then I realised that this will break my audio interface drivers and well I figured I would just wait a couple of months for MOTU to get their changes done.

8 hours ago, Valleyfold said:

Right, I guess it’s M1 only. Was getting it mixed up with the miRack app which got a Mac version that afaik doesn’t need new hardware.... :huh:

Wasn't MiRack an unauthorised iOS port of VCV rack? So if you want to run the Mac version you just run VCV rack?

• 6 months later...

So despite starting the thread I hadn’t gotten around to playing with this yet because of 22 bucks and really don’t need more software. Now, however, I have, taking it with me on a holiday trip (short, not very far away because of COVID) on a 2019 iPad mini. 

It really is a lot of fun. You can go fairly deep with it - or at least experiment with unusual routings. The interface is fantastic, really well thought out (but do read through the manual a little bit). Sound is a bit dull, maybe (although that might just be me) but probably fixable in post.

Overall really, really good. Recommended.

On 1/23/2021 at 5:53 PM, Valleyfold said:

There was some drama regarding VCV and miRack and licensing that I’m not fully aware of.  MiRack I think started as an iPad app and was the ported to Mac and works as a plugin because some Apple technology made it easy. There’s a VST version of VCV being developed, but it will cost money, miRack for Mac might be free or at least cheaper. And then there’s some other VCV clone that works as a plugin...

tldr it’s very complicated and I could be wrong about the details haha. 

I'd skip those. Not particularly good ports that use way too much resource for what iOS will supply. 

There is a great port of the Mutable Instruments coding  for several modules(which is open source) in a free iOS app here:  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/spectrum-synthesizer-bundle/id1467384251?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

It's not pretty but sounds great.