IGNORED

Images

tarsier888

what kind of images do you get in your mind when listening to boards of canada?

i finally got Twoism in the mail a few days ago and i was lying in bed listening to Basefree, and i got the image of being a small child lying in his bed at night in a rough neighbourhood with orange street lamp light coming through the blinds. and then i got the image that some gang members came into his house and shot his parents.

i don't know why i thought of that, and it kind of disturbed me.

:confused:

i usually get more peaceful happy images in my mind when listening to boc

anyways, what kind of images do you get?

lol.

i knew i would get a response like that.

oh well. anyways, do you think this topic would do better if i deleted that and put a nicer image?

edit - well, i can't. sorry. and boards of canada gives me really vivid images and makes me think a lot, i can't help it if some of the images i get are extremely disturbing. basefree is kind of a gang members shooting a kids parents type of song. well, it was, to me, at the time.

i'll just shut up now

You really should go and see a doctor.

no no no, he is really right on: For her first audition, i made this girl listen to "left side drive" for a minute or two and then write down what her mental picture was. This is what she wrote:

"Beginning of LSD: someone just shot someone else, walks away into the night, dust all around his feet."

:santa:

Guest Captain Cooper

I listen to most of my music during my daily long bus journeys to college, so I just like to gaze out the window at the countryside.

Other than that I don't really get specific mental images, just impressions of colour texture and shape (this goes for all music)

Guest Doc at the Radar Station

Many of BoC's songs bring to mind an image of a spaceship leaving some distant bleak planet (maybe Mars) to head back home, with red dust hanging in the air and an eerie silence after the ship takes off:

mrsviking.gif

I listen to most of my music during my daily long bus journeys to college, so I just like to gaze out the window at the countryside.

Other than that I don't really get specific mental images, just impressions of colour texture and shape (this goes for all music)

yeah ditto

except for the day long bus journeys to college

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper
last pic nice

taken yourself?

nay.

Yeah, exactly. But with trees.

the gloriest sun orgasm for sure! i guess i feel open the light has a kind of industrial arctic 70's energy sound, thus the oil rigging. like god's oil drill.

whenever there is a bird in a track i'm seeing a bird. little chickadees for the tiny tweets and seagulls fully. i'm surprised that for all the hawk imagry in their art i haven't yet heard a screeching eagle or something.

Guest bocae

I'll mention some imagings I have while listening to some tracks. Many track titles really reminds me of the track itself.

Turquoise Hexagon Sun: Turquoise ondulations

Slow This Bird Down: A slowed down flying bird

Julie And Candy: A circus

Aquarius: A dreamy trip caused by drugs

Hey Saturday Sun: A sunny Saturday in the country

Iced Cooly: An old commercial music

1986 Summer Fire: A dark silent plain field

Kid For Today: Nostalgic childhood moments

Guest Doc at the Radar Station

Hmmm. The Campfire Headphase makes me think of images rather different to previous BoC material. One recurring image I get when listening to TCH in its entirety is that of a man in his 30's who is disillusioned with life in the present, and sorely misses the optimism he had as a child. He might spend a lot of his days driving around the countryside in his old Dayvan, listening to old warped cassettes on the stereo and stopping off at scenic locations for a smoke and a think.

It's like this man has been featured in all of BoC's previous material (the childish giggles are his, from a more innocent time) and now he has grown up he finds life doesn't quite live up to his past expectations. Hence TCH being a more melancholy, reflective record.

Dunno, just a few thoughts. And no I am not that man, but maybe I will be when I reach my 30's.

Guest WWBJD

"Slow This Bird Down"

Always, always, makes me think of seeing the space shuttle Columbia breaking up overhead. To me, it really sounds like that too.. what was going through their heads, the flowing colors from the heat as they entered the atmosphere, knowing that there was no real hope.. especially with the garbled transmissions at the end and then the kind of country/hicky bit at the very end (requiem for the dead who landed in Texas).

Just the slow motion bits of the shuttle streaking across the Texas sky.

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper
"Slow This Bird Down"

Always, always, makes me think of seeing the space shuttle Columbia breaking up overhead. To me, it really sounds like that too.. what was going through their heads, the flowing colors from the heat as they entered the atmosphere, knowing that there was no real hope.. especially with the garbled transmissions at the end and then the kind of country/hicky bit at the very end (requiem for the dead who landed in Texas).

Just the slow motion bits of the shuttle streaking across the Texas sky.

woah! excellent. i was convinced that the album was a soliloquy to an airliner crash, with all the cryptic jet diagrams and the zombies-peoples, photographs that got pulled out of the drink among the hand bags and other debris, teddy bears and briefcases.

on dayvan right at the very end there you can hear a sound effect like a shooting star over the desert. did you notice that almost all the beats on the first platter are galloping along? horses and travel, and at the end of chromakey it sounds like frogs gulping and jumping around right before it gets to the banjo plunkin.

Archived