IGNORED

Best Coffee

Guest rumbo

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am really spoiled. I work in a cafe where the owner roasts the beans fresh, as needed. It doesn't get much fresher than that. I drink fuck loads of awesome coffee. When I quit that job, my system will probably go into shock.

Also, this means I am usually disappointed when I go to other cafes. Nothing tastes quite as good as my own lattes.

When you go to your local coffee shop and get them to freshly grind beans and give them to you.

Grind it yourself, sucka!

Ive been meaning to buy a grinder actually. But its not much of a difference. A bag of coffee doesnt last long around here.

When you go to your local coffee shop and get them to freshly grind beans and give them to you.

Ive been meaning to buy a grinder actually. But its not much of a difference. A bag of coffee doesnt last long around here.

But as soon as the coffee has been grounded it starts loosing aroma and the oil starts to evaporate, so yeah you should definitely get a grinder. Also, remember to store the beans in your fridge away from all kinds of vegetables and meat.

But as soon as the coffee has been grounded it starts loosing aroma and the oil starts to evaporate, so yeah you should definitely get a grinder. Also, remember to store the beans in your fridge away from all kinds of vegetables and meat.

:sup:

How much would you recommend spending on one? Also what do you store your coffee in after?

[youtubehd]1TrKUAOTgbc[/youtubehd]

Holy shit! Haven't heard that tune in a long time!

Thanks for posting!

EDIT: Actually, I've only heard the Handsome Boy Modeling School version before...

How much would you recommend spending on one? Also what do you store your coffee in after?

It depends on your espresso machine. I mean, if it's just a normal espresso machine there's no reason to spend a lot of money on a grinder. A lot of people talk about grinders that don't grind all the beans equally and why that's such a huge problem. Water is a lazy substance so it will always find the easiest way down and if the grinder hasn't grinded all the beans equally it will just try and pass through the coffee that hasn't been grounded finely enough. That means the water will just pass through the coffee way too quickly and therefore won't get the same strong taste as it would otherwise. But as long as you're just some guy who enjoys espresso, lattés, cortados, and so on then I wouldn't pay any attention to that. I use a 'normal' grinder and it works like a charm. The beans are well grinded and my espresso is really strong.

Some epsresso bags have zip locks so I just use that but for safety reasons I put the bag in freezer bag.

i just got a new french press, really enjoying it. the coffee i'm drinking (right now as i type) is not the best, but it's pretty decent for market coffee.

after my last press broke, i invented this crazy ghetto coffee making setup, where i took a tube from a food processor which happened to be just slightly smaller in diameter than the screen from the broken press. so the screen fit into the tube at an angle, allowing me to heat water in a kettle, dump coffee into the kettle and let it steep, then pour through the screen/tube with a cup underneath to drain into. the coffee was pretty good.

i used to drink black coffee, but ingesting it so quickly led to some rather bad times....though if there is a really nice cup of coffee, ill have it black.

mostly what i drink now is two espresso shots with a shot of mocha and some skim milk...yumm.

Coffee isn't automatically good. Even the best brand or best roast can get fucked up if used wrongly. But I don't want to derail this thread after only 3 posts...

this is true. cheap coffee makers usually make shitty coffee. and about the dark coffee thing, my mom drinks dark, no sugar. i don't mind it actually, but i haven't drank coffee in a long time. caffeine makes me jittery. :pedobear:

It depends on your espresso machine. I mean, if it's just a normal espresso machine there's no reason to spend a lot of money on a grinder. A lot of people talk about grinders that don't grind all the beans equally and why that's such a huge problem. Water is a lazy substance so it will always find the easiest way down and if the grinder hasn't grinded all the beans equally it will just try and pass through the coffee that hasn't been grounded finely enough. That means the water will just pass through the coffee way too quickly and therefore won't get the same strong taste as it would otherwise. But as long as you're just some guy who enjoys espresso, lattés, cortados, and so on then I wouldn't pay any attention to that. I use a 'normal' grinder and it works like a charm. The beans are well grinded and my espresso is really strong.

Some epsresso bags have zip locks so I just use that but for safety reasons I put the bag in freezer bag.

I dont have an espresso machine :emotawesomepm9:

Only a french press. I would like to get a machine though, a really nice one. Maybe once I get a real job *sigh*

My wife can't handle the strong, latin american coffees that I used to get. So I now just get the guatamalan coffee they sell at starbucks and have them grind it for me. The coffees that I like are La Llave and Bustello. I usually mix those up with the guatamalan ones I buy for my wife and it tastes pretty good!

my question for you self brewing guys is this: What measurements do you use when you make coffee?

Me, I use 1 tablespoon per 1 cup of coffee (every morning 4 tablespoons coffee and 4 cups of water)and people that I know that want coffee when they come over can't handle it.

Coffee isn't automatically good. Even the best brand or best roast can get fucked up if used wrongly. But I don't want to derail this thread after only 3 posts...

this is true. cheap coffee makers usually make shitty coffee. and about the dark coffee thing, my mom drinks dark, no sugar. i don't mind it actually, but i haven't drank coffee in a long time. caffeine makes me jittery. :pedobear:

Oh my god. When you say "dark" do you black? Are you actually avoid saying black? :trashbear:

my question for you self brewing guys is this: What measurements do you use when you make coffee?

Me, I use 1 tablespoon per 1 cup of coffee (every morning 4 tablespoons coffee and 4 cups of water)and people that I know that want coffee when they come over can't handle it.

~3 teaspoons of coffee in a french press for 1 mug of coffee.

Oh my god. When you say "dark" do you black? Are you actually avoid saying black? :trashbear:

oh snap! ... yeah, that's what i meant.

I thought that whole P.C. "You cant even say black coffee anymore, because its racist" thing was a joke.

Please tell me that was just a slip and that shit doesnt actually happen?

Fresh beans from a local roaster. Here in Seattle there are nearly countless different roasters to choose from, and generally there's something to enjoy about each particular blend. There are far too many varieties for me, or anyone, to suppose that they have found "the best coffee," because similar to saying "this is the best band in the world," you're just being a hyperbolic snoot and anyone worth the weight of their own brain cells will see through your facade.

The end.

:cisfor:

same here. the cafe by my apartment brews a mean roast though.

~3 teaspoons of coffee in a french press for 1 mug of coffee.

I usually use about 2.5 tablespoons for an 8oz press. Do it to it, now.

It's almost certainly not the best coffee, but ever since I started drinking it I can't stop drinking Safeway's Irish cream flavored coffee, fresh ground. It's kind of ruined all other coffee for me, and I used to have such diverse tastes too. Moral of the story is: if you enjoy coffee, stay away from Safeway's flavored bean section. Also, I think only Canadians face this dilemma.

I get beans from a local shop, store them in a bag in the fridge. Then grind some up, french press that shit, add a bit of milk, and enjoy creaming flavorful goodness..

mmmmmmm, I want more coffee

The bulk beans I grind up are always just waiting around at Safeway room temperature and I can dig it. I think the subtle difference between beans that have been kept refrigerated and those that haven't would be lost on my taste buds.

Guest rumbo

It's almost certainly not the best coffee, but ever since I started drinking it I can't stop drinking Safeway's Irish cream flavored coffee, fresh ground. It's kind of ruined all other coffee for me, and I used to have such diverse tastes too. Moral of the story is: if you enjoy coffee, stay away from Safeway's flavored bean section. Also, I think only Canadians face this dilemma.

When I lived in Vancouver, the only decent coffee I could find close by on Cambie St. was from the cafe section of a Capers store. I lived up near 22nd St. and would walk down a few blocks each morning. They had some kind of coffee chain store on the same block but I found their latte to be watery shite. It wasn't a Tim Hortons, I can't remember the name. This Caper's coffee was from an automatic machine where they just pressed a few buttons, but it was as close as I came to a real latte without having to travel into town. They also made these delicious chicken and rice wraps.

Archived