IGNORED

Analog Four teaser trailer

Guest SecondaryCell

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

apparently the AK has circuits tuned for deeper bass, but people have them side by side and not notice any difference. so make of that what you will.

its easy my favourite synth for simply getting music made. because of sound locks you can compose very complex stuff on them. i cant wait to get my octatrack

if thats your first jammy getting wammy with the anny then i expect hench things from you, sir.

it can certainly go squelch-tastically more jammy than that (in sound design/fm/osc/filter correlation). props :beer:

i'll have some new stuff to put in this thread next year

apparently the AK has circuits tuned for deeper bass, but people have them side by side and not notice any difference. so make of that what you will.

its easy my favourite synth for simply getting music made. because of sound locks you can compose very complex stuff on them. i cant wait to get my octatrack

I'm a little confused.. so sound locks are different to simple param locks in that you can lock an entire preset to a step?

And am I correct in assuming that the A4 doesn't actually have midi out channels like the MM but instead only CV/gate? Bloody Elektron. They totally could have built the same midi functionality into every unit but they make it so you need to buy them all in order to have full functionality..

And am I correct in assuming that the A4 doesn't actually have midi out channels like the MM but instead only CV/gate? Bloody Elektron. They totally could have built the same midi functionality into every unit but they make it so you need to buy them all in order to have full functionality..

I could be wrong on this, but I think you are half right.

The A4 is unlike the MM or the Octatrack in that it doesn't have a dedicated external midi seq for controlling other gear.

But I believe a user can "cheat" a bit by having one synth track be two note poly, which leaves a synth track free to send out midi info to an external synth.

The A4 certainly has a midi out on it.

I do not own one, but I thought I had seen this mentioned on another discussion board.

also, there is the fx & cv tracks for sending (limited/mono) midi information.

@modey - yeah, you can sound lock BD_KICK_01, SN_SNARE_01, SN_SNARE_02,HH-HIHAT_01 etc all on different steps, then go back and ALSO parameter lock SN_SNARE_02 to have different filter/env/volume just for that step. its super powerful and well fun..

The MIDI out is for sending MIDI synch, DIN synch, pattern changes and MIDI CC from the knobs.

Correct, the only way to sequence anything externally is through cv. You could use a cv to midi converter.

also, there is the fx & cv tracks for sending (limited/mono) midi information.

What does this mean?

@kakapo - i thought the tracks sent midi out data but only mono notes like the octatrack? i.e. limited. bad wording maybe

The A4 does not send out midi note data on any of its tracks. It can only sequence externally via cv. The midi options are essentially for sync. The octatrack's midi sequencer is 4 note polyphonic per track (8 of them). I believe the sampler tracks are monophonic though.

there are some kit based hardware sequencers out there that can do that, i forgot the name(s) though.

how many CV synths are you trying to control? Midi-cv modules or standalone devices do the trick most of the time for me. The only time CV sequencing is absolutely necessary is when doing things like note slides.

Oh, it's not that big a deal really, it's mostly just for my modded monotron, cv for pitch and cutoff. It can be controlled by the microbrute anyway but would be nice to get the cutoff going with p.locks :D

I'm pretty sure the monomachine will take over a lot of synth duties for me and I'll probably keep the analogs for a different setup (like my current one controlled by beatstep)

listen to Futureimage's music to get a taste for what replacing most of your synths with Monomachine could sound like. I think youll definitely dig the SId and FM machines on it, the other ones not sure. You'll have a good lol when you play with the drum kit for the first time in it, Autechre's bnc castl sounds like a straight raw monomachine jam using stock sounds.

Ha, I didn't even know it included drum samples. I'm pretty keen on the Digipro's custom waveform stuff, especially the somewhat wavetabley features. And being able to squeeze chords out of the analog modelling synth sounds pretty cool.

Generally I guess the reason I'm so keen on elektron stuff is because it seems like the closest thing to having a tracker interface in a dedicated piece of hardware. From what I've read and heard, the monomachine sounds like the kind of machine I could use to make sounds similar to the tracks I was writing in Buzz a few years ago.. especially with the individual outputs going through external processors

So I've been messing around on the a4 but got confused when it came time to save the song I was making.

Like I read a bunch of stuff online too but I'm still confused.

No matter what I do it seems like the same pattern stays for everything. And I don't get what the save song function does because everything I save seems to turn into the same thing.

I don't get how the kits are stuck to the pattern etc.

I'm like forever stuck on just one song. Only able to make one at a time and not being able to save ones I've finished.

I'm just completely confused about how saving works on the a4.

Thought maybe one of you could enlighten me. :c

Help a n00b out.

So I've been messing around on the a4 but got confused when it came time to save the song I was making.

Like I read a bunch of stuff online too but I'm still confused.

No matter what I do it seems like the same pattern stays for everything. And I don't get what the save song function does because everything I save seems to turn into the same thing.

I don't get how the kits are stuck to the pattern etc.

I'm like forever stuck on just one song. Only able to make one at a time and not being able to save ones I've finished.

I'm just completely confused about how saving works on the a4.

Thought maybe one of you could enlighten me. :c

Help a n00b out.

Yeah, this is the most confusing aspect of the A4 to get the hang of.

my advice:

Always save and name your kit (something other than "kit1,kit2,kit3 so you'll remember what it is) before switching to another pattern, and it will stick to that pattern.

Also, have it set on "kit reload on change" in the global menu (sequencer config section). then it will load the kit that is attached to the pattern.

if you don't have this setting on, it will use current kit that is loaded, and not the kit that is suppose to be attached to that pattern.

But with this setting on, make sure you saved the kit if you've made changes to it, before changing to another pattern.

I haven't used the song mode all that much, i gave up on it. I didn't have a problem saving a song though.

Make sure you are in the Song mode, and not Chain mode. Maybe that's the problem?

Guest bitroast

lol yes! this is what trips me up so often in the machinedrum world as well. it really spins me out when i'll jump from pattern to pattern and i'll be paying attention to what changes have been made to the kit but sometimes the jump from pattern to pattern will reload old kit and the pattern will essentially be useless/lost and i'll get sad and turn off the machinedrum unhappy.

i think i know how to get around it but it still trips me up every now and then and i get unhappy and lose interest again.

i'm sure it's just a learning curve thing i haven't accustomed to yet..

Thanks for the reply Mcdergbit but I'm still extremely confused. I'm obviously not getting something obvious or looking over something...

It seems that no matter what I do wherever I go it's the same pattern with the same kit.

Saving a pattern+kit as a 'song' doesn't do anything since all the songs are whatever happens to be the current most pattern+kit.

I'm so confused :c

Lol. I know what you mean guys. I've got so many sets because I've been scared to lose the a pattern so I've just saved the whole set. Its just part of their different way of working.

It will click! And then it becomes a lot more fun & powerful.

I still make mistakes occasionally. Just roll with it when it happens

Archived