IGNORED

Virtual Reality

data

i've been looking forward to this shit ever since i made this thread http://forum.watmm.com/topic/75486-oculus-vr-headset/ 4 (wtf) years ago. i recently preordered a htc vive that's due to arrive next month so im sort of getting on the hype train. i can't be the only one though? figured watmm could use an official VR thread.

if for nothing else than just a place to post cool videos.

[youtubehd]yTpL1A2tkYg[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]vnciEkUDnhs[/youtubehd]

(skip to 00:40)

[youtubehd]JHIiatyuJFI[/youtubehd]

even though it's clearly just the next 3d tv

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in the Google cardboard thread, most people expressed dislike.

Gotta say, the Vive demos are the first thing which I find not 100% shitty, in fact some of them look pretty fun.

The tracking & controllers seem to be well done.

Want to play the Portal thing and that 3D sketching thing.

Still massively skeptical though

I'd love for this to take off, but I don't think it will. Too expensive/demanding. Maybe PlayStation VR will sell well if it's priced right, but Sony have a shitty track record on supporting their peripherals beyond the initial push.

For the record, I do think VR will be everywhere eventually, I'm just not convinced it will be within the next couple of years.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, first time I'm actually excited by a VR-related thing :

It's so gadget yet it looks so cool...Anyway I know I won't have the money for such a thing but it's great to see people are making cool things with VR possibilities.

so what exactly is "neat" about it then? :)

It's pretty good for a tenner. Surprisingly immersive - it just feels pretty gimmicky with the selection on the app store right now. Some sort of exploration game or Minecraft update would be cool.

i feel like those cheap gimmicky devices like gearVR and google cardboard are doing VR a disservice. they're cheap enough for most people to afford, but they're giving people a shitty first impression of what VR is or could be. crappy field of view, resolution, screendoor effect and low hz / fps, causing headaches and motion sickness.

also, a fuckload of shitty, generic "VR" shovelware on the app store.

the vive (only proper VR device out there right now imo) costs more than most people are willing to pay, hopefully PSVR will give more people atleast a taste of what VR should look like, even though it's still just a seated experience, with a regular old gamepad.

Remember how 3D was a big thing a few years back? That's what VR is now.

Unless they come up with a device that will transmit a signal straight to your brain/eyes, then it will always be a clunky, expensive experience.

well it looks like there is some interesting content being bounced around, mostly in the indie-game-scene.

unlike 3D screens, the VR stuff actually seems to trigger some novel ideas for games/software.

so I suppose it's a race between people being tired by the hype vs. good stuff being made...

but yes, this concept of sticking your head into a box is 100% backwards.

Unless they come up with a device that will transmit a signal straight to your brain/eyes, then it will always be a clunky, expensive experience.

false:

Whatever the hell this is called (slightly NSFW):

BLBNwbg.gif

edit: (imho) after seeing that I'm convinced vr will take the world by storm, it will take time tho.. I give it 10-20 years or so

this has been the go-to argument sceptics have used for the past 4 years now, and then they get to try roomscale VR and all of that goes out the door and they can't believe this shit and blah blah blah. i've heard and seen it time and time again. 3D tv / movies was always a gimmick because it's just things popping out from a screen, VR (roomscale) puts your entire body inside a completely different environment that you're able to physically walk around in and interact with,

3Yw74f9.png

this has been the go-to argument sceptics have used for the past 4 years now, and then they get to try roomscale VR and all of that goes out the door and they can't believe this shit and blah blah blah. i've heard and seen it time and time again. 3D tv / movies was always a gimmick because it's just things popping out from a screen, VR (roomscale) puts your entire body inside a completely different environment that you're able to physically walk around in and interact with,

3Yw74f9.png

Yeah, but it's always going to require that you have something on your face and probably cost a lot of money. I can see it being a weird niche market at some point (like arcade machines), but for the average user it's too much hassle without enough payoff.

3Yw74f9.png

Yeah, but it's always going to require that you have something on your face and probably cost a lot of money. I can see it being a weird niche market at some point (like arcade machines), but for the average user it's too much hassle without enough payoff.

10mb+hard+drive.jpg

it'll be a niche market until sony releases their (admittedly not as good) PSVR in october. that's a market of 34 million potential customers (near the holidays). as long as their HMD succeeds somewhat, and if only apple could get in the VR game, im pretty sure it'll be more than just an obscure thing for tech nerds in a couple of years, and if there's enough interest, the HMD's will keep getting smaller and better too.

Guest bitroast

having tried the occulus dev kit 2 with the new occulus store front, played around with Luckys Tale, Eve valkerie, and .... Windfall? Skyhooks? i forget what the other game i really liked is called but its pretty much spiderman swinging ropes style flying darting around in this open environment with floating little islands everywhere... and it is reeeeaally fun and immersive. tricky to play standing up because of the sense of inertia and of free form flying you get from the headset. and this is on the dev kit 2 where you can see all the little RGB led pixels if you look closely enough. its still super immersive and legit.

im excited by vr. im not nec gonna get it any time soon ($$) .. but to say its a passing fad without trying it is pretty nonsense.

ITT: hurr im a luddite u only need 640k of ram

You won't need some advanced fucking hardware in the future. You'll have a pair of sunglasses Microsoft Hololens style with the hard work being done by your smartphone, with data processing offloaded/streamed over bluetooth or some shit. Use your imagination. We're still in the preliminary stages and you guys are all going "Na bicycles will always be a niche item for rich people, they're not even good"

its not about video games its about object recognition and wikipedia summary/stats HUDs

Imagine even high contrast passthrough filters for driving at night. I mean come on guys stop being so noobish.

ITT: hurr im a luddite u only need 640k of ram

You won't need some advanced fucking hardware in the future. You'll have a pair of sunglasses Microsoft Hololens style with the hard work being done by your smartphone, with data processing offloaded/streamed over bluetooth or some shit. Use your imagination. We're still in the preliminary stages and you guys are all going "Na bicycles will always be a niche item for rich people, they're not even good"

its not about video games its about object recognition and wikipedia summary/stats HUDs

Imagine even high contrast passthrough filters for driving at night. I mean come on guys stop being so noobish.

ha! i like the bike analogy

for reals:

tumblr_nu1od4ltvw1ub4e64o1_500.jpg

VR naysayers must really be lacking some imagination and insight. This is the first gen of consumer VR, things will change immensely over the years. But one thing is for sure, people will always want to live out their dream world/fantasies in a virtual environment. Be it for learning, sexual fantasies, entertainment, psychological treatment or other reasons - the area of usage is massive. One day we will surely have a direct brain interface(unless we return to the caves) and we will no longer need clunky gear, but until then this is the foundation upon we build.

I can't wait to fly some immersive helicopter simulator with the oculus rift.

bicycle = replace horsey, can move fast

VR = what?

last time VR hyped: the 90s, 20 years ago.

goggle size/convenience progress since then: 0.0 percent.

the goggles and everything else do work better of course due to faster computers/sensors/screens etc.

but it's still the same. You need to put a very inconvenient box around your head which makes you pretty much incompatible with the real world in multiple ways.

Hololens is a pipe dream. Of all the VR brands, I'm confident that this one will trainwreck first.

Remember how Kinect & Leap Motion took off? These were relatively unobtrusive and inexpensive HID, and solved a very real world problem - natural gestures communication with computer. Turns out, gestures suck for interacting with a computer.

The marketing hype is very big right now, one needs to see past it to assess this stuff properly.

it's not like a bicycle, it's more like this:

tumblr_ndfvuuPwg71txx6x7o2_500.jpg

some decades later we can see what's wrong with this device, but back in the day they thought it was actually a good idea

Archived