IGNORED

Virtual Reality

data

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah see id dig that but would prefer it in an augmented reality format where you could turn up and down the degree of visual hallucination and potentially hook it up to some kind of deepmind tech where you could feed it image banks to incorporate into the hallucination

yeah even better idea. just like a video filter on top of reality and you can select your doseage

even just a winamp visualiser through vr would be tight.

you know what would be really sick, a fractal music visualizer but it tracks your gaze and it zooms in to the fractal at the spot you're looking at

it’s solved, it’s called drugs

• 1 year later...

I have no explanation why, but I bought an Oculus Quest.

Data talked about a space exploration app at one point. No narrative, no nothing. Just him floating around in space looking at planets. Does anyone know what app this might have been? Or can anyone recommend other similar apps?

5 hours ago, Squee said:

Data talked about a space exploration app at one point. No narrative, no nothing. Just him floating around in space looking at planets. Does anyone know what app this might have been? Or can anyone recommend other similar apps?

porrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• 5 months later...
On 3/10/2020 at 6:41 PM, Squee said:

pretty sure this is the one i was talking about https://store.steampowered.com/app/230290/Universe_Sandbox/ - i remember it being super scary on some kind of existential level because everything is SO BIG. the stars are so massive i just had a sense of dread "standing" in front of one. this was pretty early days though so maybe it wouldn't be as bad now.

also haha, this thread. my vive's been collecting dust for probably a couple years now. i still intend to get future VR devices though, but i'll probably sit out a generation or two.

I've had my Valve Index for about three weeks now. Works exceptionally well with HL: Alyx (go figure) and I used it once with No Man's Sky VR. Starship controls are awkward AF tho. And I'm too much of a chicken to try it with Subnautica.

Finna try Boneworks soon too, but otherwise there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of VR-specific titles on the market right now. Although I'm sure more are planned and/or in development as we speak.

the ship controls in NMS get way easier as you get used to them. I could barely fly in a straight line at first, now I'm out here bobbin through asteroids & ghostin bogeys

There are other good games (try Vox Machinae if you like mechs, but don't expect a campaign)...just gotta look for em. Lots of the better ones are oculus exclusives. 

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't really seem enjoyable to me. When I play games I just want to veg out. Can't imagine finding strapping goggles on my head, holding controllers, and flailing around as something I'd want to relax with.

Also seems like the industy standard consumer grade headset is Oculus which is owned by Facebook and they are going to force you to use Facebook to use the headset. No thanks.

5 hours ago, hijexx said:

Doesn't really seem enjoyable to me. When I play games I just want to veg out. Can't imagine finding strapping goggles on my head, holding controllers, and flailing around as something I'd want to relax with.

Also seems like the industy standard consumer grade headset is Oculus which is owned by Facebook and they are going to force you to use Facebook to use the headset. No thanks.

Yeah Oculus kinda shot themselves in the foot with that move. Good thing I don't have to worry about that with my Valve Index.

VR is pretty damn immersive, but if you're more of a casual gamer and just do it to unwind that's completely understandable. TBH I mainly got into it because I wanted to play Half Life: Alyx, which in itself is quite good. Boneworks is next on my VR list.

12 hours ago, hijexx said:

Alyx looks amazing. Still holding out hope for Half Life 3 but for all practical purposes it seems like that's what Alyx is. Maybe they'll release a regular game version of Alyx at some point.

After playing thru HL: Alyx, ...not to reveal any spoilers, but an official HL3 is still a possibility.

Archived