IGNORED

Virtual Reality

data

I don't think it's gonna bomb but everything at launch was a bunch of shovelware and novelty software that all shows off the exact same thing. You can shoot things, things are coming at you and so and so on.

I'm sure VR will enhance some gaming experiences such as space sims and other cockpit oriented vidya games. I mean, I'd fucking LOVE to play Elite Dangerous in VR.

lol'd so hard at the firewatch VR Skype conference at 10m :D

"ima take my headset off"

**implodes**

FOO VR actually made me more interested in VR than any other piece of software I've seen so far.

I think that any game where you are controlling something (racing games, flight simulators, etc) would work great. Run & gun games would not feel very immersive.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's gonna bomb but everything at launch was a bunch of shovelware and novelty software that all shows off the exact same thing. You can shoot things, things are coming at you and so and so on.

I'm sure VR will enhance some gaming experiences such as space sims and other cockpit oriented vidya games. I mean, I'd fucking LOVE to play Elite Dangerous in VR.

lol'd so hard at the firewatch VR Skype conference at 10m :D

"ima take my headset off"

**implodes**

FOO VR actually made me more interested in VR than any other piece of software I've seen so far.

I think that any game where you are controlling something (racing games, flight simulators, etc) would work great. Run & gun games would not feel very immersive.

Absolutely! Cockpit games and maybe even RTS games would be awesome

i really don't get how watmm of all people can't be atleast a little bit excited for this shit.

I think it's simply because it is so massively marketing-hyped up to the max - Twitter, clickshit articles, youtube... as if it's the second coming of everything. which it is clearly not.

San Francisco nowadays tends to go bonkers over any little thing which vaguely creates funding for silly startups, a flashy tech such as VR must of course be fully actualized.

It's like every few months a new totally revolutionary tech will eventually revolutionize everything. Let's see what the last few years have done to us:

Drones have radically improved.... nothing.

The Apple Watch is a.... pretty watch.

Internet of things... I can't turn my lights on because my phone ran out of battery.

VR is (not only literally) even more in our face, tons of gamer bros with opinions and YouTube channels.

thus, not being impressed is simply taking the measured approach here. imho.

So today there was a little game conference / festival thing here. A friend of mine presented a Vive game he co-made: selfietennis. and another as of yet unreleased downhill skiing game. So finally got to try out the Vive!

First thing that popped up immediately: this device still has the same ballpark low resolution as the Oculus DK2. Make no mistake, these pixels are huge. I don't know why this doesn't come up more, maybe some people aren't bothered by it that much, maybe they have bad vision? dunno. On a cheap Nintendo 3DS, where you don't need glasses, I can accept huge pixels. But this fancy expensive gear which requires a really fancy computer? Hm. It's very distracting. It reminds you all the time that you're staring at a small display stuck to yr face.

The headset itself also remind you of that. It's a bit like diving goggles. Not comfy.

The tracking on the Vive gets all the praise, and deservedly so. This is what makes it interesting. If Oculus can't match this quality of tracking, they're dead.

People say there is no perceptible lag, which is not true. People who say this just don't perceive very well. There is subtle lag.

Selfietennis is fun. It's a simple game, I soon gave up playing normally because I had a hard time hitting the ball. So I just kept shooting balls into the spectator bunny things. Basically you just hit stuff with tennis balls. It works because the controller tracking is good and there's physics.

the bounding box thing is super disorienting. I played at an outside space, a large terrace... It was fun because there was the warmth of the sun, wind and such, which mixed well with the game. So theoretically I could have moved around quite a bit, and it was very, very weird when the cage indicator thing popped up.

The cable is annoying AF.

Sound was coming out of small speakers somewhere IIRC. This may have added to the disorientation. Ambient sound from the space (people talking etc) was grounded in reality, but the game perspective jumps around, so there is a disparity there. decent binaural sound through closed headphones would probably add a lot to the experience.

The skiing game was too much. It's downhill skiing, with ramps. When you hit a ramp, and you jump IRL, you make a huge leap in the game. I wanted to lie down because I felt I couldn't trust my balance.

After 15 minutes I had enough, with no desire to try anything else.

so dunno. There is totally potential for new game genres due to innovative interaction. Stuff which is close to you in the game world, things which are maybe up to twice your arm's length away, are interesting. I think this is where interesting things can happen. Anything beyond that distance feels shallow and looks like a pixelated mess.

3/10

First thing that popped up immediately: this device still has the same ballpark low resolution as the Oculus DK2. Make no mistake, these pixels are huge

are you sure you were using a consumer version vive?

oculus dk2 is 960x1080 per eye, 60hz and 100 degrees field of view.

vive cv is 1080x1200 per eye, 90hz and 110 FOV.

anyway, this technology is far from perfected, which is why i really want this first generation to succeed. im fully expecting the experience to be like looking through two toilet paper rolls.

the lag you were experiencing was probably due to crappy calibration during setup (i've read about lots of people having the same issue but fixed it by just restarting steamvr and recalibrating).

this is what worries me about the PSVR though, people in general are gonna expect it to look like their TVs or monitors, and when they find out it doesn't may abandon the tech all together, in which case there won't be a second generation, with higher resolution.

anyway, my vive hasn't arrived yet, maybe i'll hate it, but i just can't dismiss all the good stuff i've heard and read about it until i try it for myself. even if it's shit, i still want this stuff to succeed damnit.

edit: a skiing game in VR sounds fucking dreadful. anything where your body is moving forward and you're not moving in real life (except for possibly cockpit / driving games) is always gonna be awful in VR.

yep, was the Vive consumer version.

a few more pixels more or less won't make much difference tbh imo. It needs *way* more resolution... remember phone screens from before Apple came out with the Retina display? It needs this kind of improvement. Which is probably 3 or more years away and you'll need to buy another badass computer from the future to use it...

FOV did not bother me at all.

If we ignore the pixelatednesss, the other thing which *must* go away is the cable. Guess an option is to hang it from the ceiling, for now.

many of the other issues are software stuff, interaction etc will certainly improve a lot...

It's totally an interesting thing this, one just needs to be aware that it's actually a mass-produced prototype...

about tracking: I think it worked the way it was supposed to. There were just a few minor hangs where either the frame rate dropped, or the tracking stopped, just for a frame or two.

It's not bad, but it's not true that you can't feel lag.

People say the same thing about the Apple Pencil for the new iPad, that drawing with it has no lag - it's just not true, there obviously is lag when you draw stuff. It's just good enough so that most people don't feel it at all. I wasn't bothered by it, but it's there.

I think maybe you perceive to be low res is the screen door effect coming from the displays having a low pixel fill factor? This is probably fixed in the next gen of headsets without having to bump the resolution, they just need better screens.

CSqJQ9w.jpg

Supposedly PlayStation VR doesn't have this problem, even though it's much lower resolution than the competition, thanks to a display with a higher pixel fill factor.

might be that fill rate has to do with it... it is lo-res though. Another quite as bad as that pic ^

I mean for certain experiences it's ok. Kind of like the old Nintendo Wii can be fun despite crappy graphics.

If there's great gameplay, you focus on that and then the pixels don't matter all that much.

It just looks very anachronistic...

• 2 weeks later...

you'll be able to test drive oculus at 48 bestbuys starting on the 7th of this month and some will have stock for sale (lol at preorders not going out 'til august still). have to schedule ahead of time for a 30 minute demo block.

https://live.oculus.com/

i've had my vive for about a week now, it's fucking insane. im sick of trying to convince people who haven't tried it, but im having a blast, and so did everyone i've showed it to. the low resolution and screendoor effect (minimal) means nothing compared to the overall experience.

the other day i bought universe sandbox, and the feeling i got when i plopped the sun down right in front of me is something i've never felt in a game or movie or anything before. the sheer size and brightness of the damn thing was terrifying and truely awesome at the same time and almost made me fall backwards. just that single moment was scarier than anything i've felt in any horror game ever. and this isn't even a game, more like an educational tool.

lying in my couch, floating about in the universe and feeling impossibly small while watching stars collide - that alone is worth the price of the vive imo.

lying in my couch, floating about in the universe and feeling impossibly small while watching stars collide - that alone is worth the price of the vive imo.

That sounds like that shroom trip I had, and it was cheaper too.

i've had my vive for about a week now, it's fucking insane. im sick of trying to convince people who haven't tried it, but im having a blast, and so did everyone i've showed it to. the low resolution and screendoor effect (minimal) means nothing compared to the overall experience.

the other day i bought universe sandbox, and the feeling i got when i plopped the sun down right in front of me is something i've never felt in a game or movie or anything before. the sheer size and brightness of the damn thing was terrifying and truely awesome at the same time and almost made me fall backwards. just that single moment was scarier than anything i've felt in any horror game ever. and this isn't even a game, more like an educational tool.

That's the sort of VR experience I want!

Imagine having a VR drug trip on a drug trip.

after seeing your pic i'm pretty sure you've done much more and much better shrooms than me

Imagine having a VR drug trip on a drug trip.

after seeing your pic i'm pretty sure you've done much more and much better shrooms than me

I can neither confirm nor deny.

Yeah, that sounds pretty awesome Data, but then again you're an android.

I have an oculus dk2 as I haven't invested into the new headsets just yet (and I am debating based on monetary reasons and the fact that I can already play all the games with my dk2 which I already think is 'good enough... kinda')

I love my DK2. It's compatible with all the new Oculus games, and they're all very fun. A rule of thumb for me, is that VR makes any games in 2D twice as good when in 3D. The gameplay of some of these games are average -> above average, but become well above average when you're playing them with a headset.

Chronos and Lucky's Tale are my jamzz on the rift.

However VR.. gaming... movie watching... etc.. is going to become MUUUCH better in the next few years.

imagine if they made a horror game or movie with this tech. like, people crawling up walls, head spinning projectile vomitting...

that would break someone like a bad trip

it's just a game it's just a game it's just a game

Archived