IGNORED

Virtual Reality

data

Existenz, yes ... but it had more complicated plot, intelligent plot, ... the most memorable thing in it yo me was the way it portrait the virtual reality "heads" as kind of junkies with some disgusting details when they were plugging in ... and the strange crab farm ... might rewatch it sometimes ... I remember there was a twist ending ... it might have been predictable twistArnold's original Total Recall was also very philosophical movie although technically fake memories are not exactly the same as fake experiences

I kinda think Synechdoche, NY belongs in this category too

(No it wasn't your typical VR but he's busying himself with building a virtual reality while the real reality is in flames...)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Existenz, yes ... but it had more complicated plot, intelligent plot, ... the most memorable thing in it yo me was the way it portrait the virtual reality "heads" as kind of junkies with some disgusting details when they were plugging in ... and the strange crab farm ... might rewatch it sometimes ... I remember there was a twist ending ... it might have been predictable twistArnold's original Total Recall was also very philosophical movie although technically fake memories are not exactly the same as fake experiences

(No it wasn't your typical VR but he's busying himself with building a virtual reality while the real reality is in flames...)

I know you're going to psychology the shit out of me now, but isn't "Synecdoche, New York" more about

him trying to understand humanity and each world he or the actors who portray create get more and more troubled? I mean, when he travels through each world near the end of the film, the situation gets more and more dire and in the end everyone is dead.

It's his lack of understand of how humanity actually works that causes the worlds thatget created to be miserable... because he is miserable.

...or at least, that's how I see it. As far as I remember there's nothing wrong with the real world apart from him not understanding anything.

I know you're going to psychology the shit out of me now, but isn't "Synecdoche, New York" more about

him trying to understand humanity and each world he or the actors who portray create get more and more troubled? I mean, when he travels through each world near the end of the film, the situation gets more and more dire and in the end everyone is dead.

It's his lack of understand of how humanity actually works that causes the worlds thatget created to be miserable... because he is miserable.

...or at least, that's how I see it. As far as I remember there's nothing wrong with the real world apart from him not understanding anything.

it's genuinely easy to miss (because the film is very POV and the character is oblivious to what's happening) but by the end of the film the world is literally in flames and people are being herded on to buses (with smiley faces painted on the windows) by military dudes and there are explosions and gunfire and dead bodies strewn everywhere...all the while he's still futzing about with his totally-super-important theater piece

hqdefault.jpg

it's genuinely easy to miss (because the film is very POV and the character is oblivious to what's happening) but by the end of the film the world is literally in flames and people are being herded on to buses (with smiley faces painted on the windows) by military dudes and there are explosions and gunfire and dead bodies strewn everywhere...all the while he's still futzing about with his totally-super-important theater piece

hqdefault.jpg

But doesn't it get worse and worse the further down the rabbit hole he goes? Or am I misremembering things?

hqdefault.jpg

But doesn't it get worse and worse the further down the rabbit hole he goes? Or am I misremembering things?

it depends on which particular rabbit hole you think he's going down

(And how it relates to the objective world around him)

I mean, one reading of his trip down the rabbit hole:

He is a deeply-neurotic person who is trying to solve/dissolve his neuroses by increasingly indulging his OCD until eventually his bid to micro-manage the environment destroys the/his entire world...perhaps

• 1 month later...
Guest bitroast

zenimax successfully sueing oculus 500 mil for misappropriating code from zenimax/bethesda/id over to oculus (ie. john carmack putting vr code on usb stick and bringing it over to other company when he quit, or using similar code that was develoepd at zenimax, +

//

"Carmack intentionally destroyed data on his computer after he got notice of this litigation and right after he researched on Google how to wipe a hard drive," the statement says. "And data on other Oculus computers and USB storage devices were similarly deleted (as determined by a court-appointed, independent expert in computer forensics)." 

Oculus is liable for $300 million in the verdict ($50 million for trademark infringement, $50 million for copyright infringement, and $200 million for breaking the NDA), while Luckey owes $50 million and former Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe owes $150 million (both for false designation). 

///

there's also matter of oculus being halted from sale until its sorted out ? or halted from sale entirely in current form ? 

all of this is kind of a kick in the groin to VR when it's still in early days of industry trying to find its feet ..

Forget the expensive shit, go to google play and install VR Heights Phobia. Awwww mang! Double dawg dang. You're basically wandering between sky scrapers on this plinth thing. And you don't need a remote or a big room to wander around in, you can move forward just by going chicken head. Be warned, the music gets more intense the closer you get to the end and when you fall, you hear a terrifying scream

That Insidious Chapter 3 thing is pretty cool too for an ad.

http://psychotronic.electronicattack.de/samurai/1.mp4

http://psychotronic.electronicattack.de/samurai/2.mp4

http://psychotronic.electronicattack.de/samurai/3.mp4

http://psychotronic.electronicattack.de/samurai/4.mp4

• 2 months later...

So... anything worth playing​ or are everyones VR headsets collecting dust by now? I see the PSVR headsets are going pretty cheap secondhand these days.

So... anything worth playing​ or are everyones VR headsets collecting dust by now? I see the PSVR headsets are going pretty cheap secondhand these days.

RE7 and DIRT obviously. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood and Thumper are really fun too. Farpoint is coming out later this month, and apparently Statik is a really clever puzzle game that I plan on copping soon. 

I only have a PSVR so I can't really speak for the vive or occulus (really wish I had a vive though). Sony dipped their toes in the water but it sounds like they're going to make a bigger push for PSVR since they actually performed better than projected a year later, E3 could be big for VR.  

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Yes, it doesn't have positional tracking though, which is key for the immersion.

aye. Unfortunately my post ended up below that device announcement post, it wasn’t meant like that...

more like another cynical remark about whether the age of VR is now finally upon us.

• 7 months later...

Super excited for the Oculus Quest

Oculus-Quest-1-2.jpg

No fucking cables, six degrees of freedom with inside out tracking and you get two touch controllers with it? I hope this thing lives up to the hype and has a decent amount of launch titles with it. The only downside I'm hearing is that the processing power isn't much greater than that of the GO's. 

someone needs to make a DMT trip visuals VR experience

Yeah see id dig that but would prefer it in an augmented reality format where you could turn up and down the degree of visual hallucination and potentially hook it up to some kind of deepmind tech where you could feed it image banks to incorporate into the hallucination

yeah even better idea.  just like a video filter on top of reality and you can select your doseage

even just a winamp visualiser through vr would be tight.

you know what would be really sick, a fractal music visualizer but it tracks your gaze and it zooms in to the fractal at the spot you're looking at

Archived