IGNORED

The WATMM Challenges *June Challenge Started!*

Brisbot

Pick your Elements  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your Elements

• No reverb
    • Has to integrate vocals in one way or another (actual singing, vocal resampling, etc)
    • Self made drums only
    • Must use every note on your midi interface
    • Sample 80's cartoon noises
    • DISTORT EVERYTHING
    • All samples < .05 seconds long
    • Short echoes on all sounds
    • Negative swing
    • No grid
    • Sine waves only
    • 3/4 time
    • 5/4 time
    • All track elements must originate from the same sample
    • Animal Noises
    • Only two notes allowed in entire composition
    • No filters

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Polling is now open. It's multiple choice so pick as many as you want!

It'll be simple this first time, but next time I'll have more poll options to choose from. I want around 30 for any given poll.

I'm not sure that's a challenge so much as a surprise. I'm trying to pick things that will test you, so I had to cut a few of the suggestions I've gotten.

sounds kool, I'll probably never get around to it tho

Even if there's a dancecore challenge :emb: ?

:emotawesomepm9:

last time i tried to do a dancecore track it ended up becoming this very noisy and broken monster that definitely didnt belong to the genre... but now that i read the suggestions stuff like "distort everything" or "all samples <0.5 seconds" might be fun...

i think writing based on themes is better but *shrug* we'll see.

Well people can suggest themes and I can throw them in with the rest of the challenges. I'm going for flexibility as well, maybe some months, a theme will win out, and some months people can make any kind of track as long as they conform to the challenges.

I myself don't care to have an 'x' genre month, then another, then another. Just sometimes. Mix it up.

The idea is to get better at making music. IDK if having an elevator music month would necessarily do that.

I am going for high flexibility while doing 3 things that you might not normally do. Like I don't make my own drum samples that much, and it's winning out so. Looking forward to that :)

So for example, since we have a month to do the track. I think I may spend 30 minutes a day or something making drum samples for the first week, then get down to making the track. Maybe spend time tackling other challenges, like if the 3/4 time wins out then I'll spend a bit of time listening to dance music in that time signature and getting into the groove.

I had one idea for the next CHATMM compilation: Finishing off another artists' unfinished track.

Not a remix but taking someone's abandoned track as it is and then following through with completing it. Would be even more interesting if people were paired silently with other artist using identical DAWs and no one knows who did what and whose track it was originally. I think it would have to be limited to in-house VST plugins that come with the DAW or render some of the VST parts down into a layer so the other user doesn't have to download or buy them..

By the way tomorrow is the last day! It LOOKS like

'Only Two notes in the Entire Composition'

And

'All track elements must originate from the same sample'

Are going to be two of the three parameters (and maybe 5/4 time) (gees guys you picked the 3 hardest things O.o)

SO I suggest you may get starting finding your sample and glitching it out, making new samples out of it. And perhaps working on that two note composition, though you may have to alter the time signature in a couple days.... For two note you may use the SAME two notes in any octave.

I kinda regret putting the two note thing up there. I might add a caveat. Like, one section must be two notes. BECAUSE I feel like the tracks are going to be boring because of that.Honestly the listener will probably only be able to stomach the two notes for a short time before they click on another track x( The other two are totally fine though and a fair challenge (5/4 and same sample)

I kinda regret putting the two note thing up there. I might add a caveat. Like, one section must be two notes. BECAUSE I feel like the tracks are going to be boring because of that.Honestly the listener will probably only be able to stomach the two notes for a short time before they click on another track x( The other two are totally fine though and a fair challenge (5/4 and same sample)

No, let it stand! I consider it to be a challenge :D

Does it have to be all three challenges at once?

Yes it does. I think what I'll do is say '30 seconds OR MORE must be only 2 notes'. That way you might can do something interesting with it. Say start out with a melody in one scale, use the two note melody thing to transition over 30 seconds, then transition to another scale. Both scales would have to have those '2' notes in them though for it to feel normal.

I don't know that I'll participate in this but I voted anyway just because I saw the 80's cartoon sample option :) I'll be curious to hear the results whether or not I try whatever it ends up being.

Archived