IGNORED

FAVORITE MIX

Astro Tarot

3396404_orig.jpg

Warrenting a thread of it's own, your favorite mix means a lot to me.

My choice for favorite mix came about in 2005. A cunning selection of southern rap, funk, soul and beyond all Hip Hop.

The essence of DJing is embellished in this multimedia extravaganza, featuring samples, interviews, and beautiful mash ups.

Conceptually, Shadow voices the vices of an urban empire, kicking it all off with 666 Mafia, from Yo Gotti's 'Full Time Hustler', Too Short's seminal "Burning Rubber", with Lord Finesse, Mannie Fresh production "Get Away Driver". The Funky Skunk is the best Hour anyone can spend in the Rap section aside from Kendrick..Kanye's "The Corner" mixed with Crunk Classic "Knock if you Buck", and Clipse, featured on Baby's "What Happened to that Boy". DJ Shadow is quoted as saying this to be his crowning achievement in studio DJ Mixes, I'm sure you will agree, come along for the ride.

It's an education in contemporary RAP MUSIC, perhaps the most significant cultural phenomenon the multiverse has ever known.

Please saturate this thread with the juiciest mixes that will penetrate the cerebral cortex into an infinite state of euphoria...

Shit, this is exactly what I need right now. Thank you.

this is defo my most played mix in this decade—a pure type of disco-house:

https://soundcloud.com/warmhq/tiger-and-woods-resident-advisor-podcast-ra-239

it is especially good for the amount of unreleased edits featured on this boy

one of my favorite jungle mixes for general purposes is this'un...is from 1999 however:

btw most everything peverelist does is worth listening to IMO

and this mix is perfection in the aesthetic space is creates—avant-garde japanese electro-acoustic:

pretty cheesy in retrospect but this nonetheless is really important to me as it got me into electronic music...and its a fun listen

i've found a lot of good stuff from aphex and ae live dj sets as well

another great electic one from justin broadrick i really dug

http://www.factmag.com/2011/02/21/fact-mix-224-justin-broadrick/

My all-tiem favorite mix of all tiem:

artworks-000001977245-wgwzok-original.jp

Coldcut - 70 Minutes of Madness

For me this is the is the very definition of a Gesamtkunstwerk, every track on it is perfect in context and feels naked outside of it. Over 20 years old, still as fresh as the day it was put to DAT, and still unequaled. For anyone else with an obsessive fascination with this mix here's a great interview with the Coldcut collective on the 20th anniversary of it's release.

More mix recommendations please! I'm a fanaticist of mixology (and sometimes practitioner - peep the soundcloud) and while lately the art form seems to have been debased somewhat by today's automagical software & whatnot, I still have love for a well woven sonic tapestry.

Will definitely be peeping the recs so far, esp. the Peverelist; one can rinse Soundmuderer's Wired for Sound and Mike P's old school jungle mix only so often otherwise the fx wear off :datboi:

Best mash-up mix ever, magnum opus of the early 00s bootleg/mash-up era especially. As technically awesome as Girl Talk's Nigh Ripper is I still think this is superior because of it's range in musical selection - both Top 40 hits and obscure 12"s, kitsch covers and definitive classics. It's like crate-digging friendly mash-up. The original ethos of early dance and club music seems to steer their work.

DJ Z-Trip and DJ P's Uneasy Listening Vol 1 is up there too

https://vimeo.com/82803327

alright n-words... this one aint about a vibe or getting girls in the mood - it's about letting the world know that detroit techno is the sickest, baddest fuckin shit the musical world has ever produced. Of course I'm talking about Jeff Mills Essential Mix from June 1998. I don't know a techno mix better than this one. Or even a better Mills mix. Liquid Room is pussy shit in comparison to this one, The Wizard does not give up for 2 hours.

It's a brutal, frenetic Detroit assembly line of rhythm and mayhem. There are very few "synths" or melodies. He plays the bells but that's about it - he goes full on rhythmic assault. The kicks on this mix are just tops.

This mix made me understand that Detroit Techno is the greatest musical innovation that the states have given the world since duke ellington invented (good) jazz. There is simply no other music that can capture such intense emotion, a perfect blend of anger and ecstasy, dancing and protest - very human, organic emotions, but spurred by the raucous synthetic sounds of machines going crazy. I can't get enough. So many favorite moments in this one but for me the jamie bissmire tracks hit hard. 1:38:00 is bob hoskins going mental in a dustbin levels for me.

I promise it will not disappoint.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived