IGNORED

Where'd this thread go?

hello spiral

No i didn't delete it. I didn't even think that was an option.

I actually wanted to delete it the first day because it backfired so bad. Someone assumed it was MY music (since i authored the post) which was quite depressing. I know my music isn't groundbreaking but to compare it to this release is horrifying. I couldn't figure out how to do it though. Then the thread got really entertaining. 

I rarely visit this website these days. The Cult 48 threads being deleted didn't help. What good is WATMM if i can't even talk about how overrated and cheesy collectives like Cult 48 are. I can't even put in to words my disappointment in how many people buy into this crap.

Cult 48 is the MLM of IDM.

Lets say i'm changing the subject with this last statement. I think people have a right to know about content theft, might impact their buying decisions.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, omnii said:

No i didn't delete it. I didn't even think that was an option.

I actually wanted to delete it the first day because it backfired so bad. Someone assumed it was MY music (since i authored the post) which was quite depressing. I know my music isn't groundbreaking but to compare it to this release is horrifying. I couldn't figure out how to do it though. Then the thread got really entertaining. 

I rarely visit this website these days. The Cult 48 threads being deleted didn't help. What good is WATMM if i can't even talk about how overrated and cheesy collectives like Cult 48 are. I can't even put in to words my disappointment in how many people buy into this crap.

Cult 48 is the MLM of IDM.

Lets say i'm changing the subject with this last statement. I think people have a right to know about content theft, might impact their buying decisions.

I've never heard of Cult 48, please elaborate.

8 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

Some dumb marketing concept from a "mystery artist" that wants to give an aura that they might be BoC. They have a release called Catalog 1 if that's telling enough.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

If i say too much this thread will be deleted too but whatever. This place sucks.
Cult 48 is another "anonymous" group similar to this UNSEEN release. The only real difference is that Cult 48 has been explicitly marketed as being an "anonymous Board of Canada" release to get attention. The songs are all 1-2 minute long simple analog synths over a breakbeat. It sounds like Brainwaltzera to me, which would make sense considering Brainwaltzera is also an anonymous act that is capitalizing on the success of popular artists and sowing confusion. Also Brainwaltzera songs follow the same track formula.
Cult 48 is definitely more than one artist though, and not all of the artists consented to being on the release.

The difference is that Cult 48 is at least palatable. It's "meh" at it's worst. It's not absolute garbage like this AF release.

• Like 2

imo people dumping on good artists like bwe and rtr are what make this place suck

spanishguy's account is gone

that guy erik bounced in protest

others, too

i was trying to find a bwe thread that spiral hadn't shat up and i found like 8 album release threads he gratuitously dumped in and i think i found 1 that he hadn't

it's fucking shameful and lame

but the internet is for curmudgeons. it's the drainage of negative thoughts. maybe it's unavoidable

Edited by very honest
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

@omnii I feel bad I assumed it was your music at first now. I honestly dig your tunes and assumed (without listening to clips) that you got some of your stuff out on AF. 

Anyway, the censorship here is pretty ridiculous. Agreed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Extralife said:

@omnii I feel bad I assumed it was your music at first now. I honestly dig your tunes and assumed (without listening to clips) that you got some of your stuff out on AF. 

Anyway, the censorship here is pretty ridiculous. Agreed.

It's all good, i should have assumed something like that was going to happen anyways.

Don't expect to hear any of my releases on AF anytime soon, especially after this ? 

11 minutes ago, very honest said:

imo people dumping on good artists like bwe and rtr are what make this place suck

spanishguy's account is gone

that guy erik bounced in protest

others, too

i was trying to find a bwe thread that spiral hadn't shat up and i found like 8 album release threads he gratuitously dumped in and i think i found 1 that he hadn't

it's fucking shameful and lame

but the internet is for curmudgeons. it's the drainage of negative thoughts. maybe it's unavoidable

I get what you are saying but taste is subjective. Those artists being good is your opinion. BWE got off light after starting a Soundcloud that was trying to pass off as AFX and even tagging songs as #AFX. 

RTR was promoted by the label as being Steinvord, not necessarily the artists fault. I'd say the label did the artist a disservice on that one. I feel like this current incarnation of "anonymous artist that we are hinting could be from Warp" from AF is the same issue.
This place is synonymous with shit talking about electronic music to me. What you are describing is the very spirit of WATMM as i have understood it since i joined in 2014.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, omnii said:

I get what you are saying but taste is subjective. Those artists being good is your opinion. BWE got off light after starting a Soundcloud that was trying to pass off as AFX and even tagging songs as #AFX. 

RTR was promoted by the label as being Steinvord, not necessarily the artists fault. I'd say the label did the artist a disservice on that one. I feel like this current incarnation of "anonymous artist that we are hinting could be from Warp" from AF is the same issue.
This place is synonymous with shit talking about electronic music to me. What you are describing is the very spirit of WATMM as i have understood it since i joined in 2014.

• i disagree that he was trying to pass off as aphex
  • he was one of the few sc artists that aphex himself seemed to enjoy and went out of his way to boost

given that this is my perception of events, i would say watmm was horrible to him

• Like 1

Leaving watmm because some members gave criticism makes them sound rather thin-skinned. I'm sure they left for other reasons. You wouldn't believe all the mean shit people said about my music when I first joined.

This whole 'anonymous artist' trend just feels like Qanon for IDM fans. 

5 minutes ago, very honest said:
  • i disagree that he was trying to pass off as aphex
  • he was one of the few sc artists that aphex himself seemed to enjoy and went out of his way to boost

given that this is my perception of events, i would say watmm was horrible to him

He??????

You disagree that BWE was tagging their songs as #AFX on soundcloud? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, omnii said:

This whole 'anonymous artist' trend just feels like Qanon for IDM fans. 

He??????

You disagree that BWE was tagging their songs as #AFX on soundcloud? 

i disagree that tagging something afx on sc equates to passing yourself off as aphex. it seemed to be in good fun and overtly trollish. also, aphex seemed to be friends with him!

regarding "he," 

[edit] i checked and the interview uses he

http://truantsblog.com/2019/interview-brainwaltzera/

Edited by very honest

4 minutes ago, very honest said:

i disagree that tagging something afx on sc equates to passing yourself off as aphex. it seemed to be in good fun and overtly trollish. also, aphex seemed to be friends with him!

regarding "he," there was an interview with the dude and i recall gleaning it was a dude. could be wrong. wouldn't be surprised if they were female, actually. i guess i should use they because i think it's still ambiguous.

I don't think Aphex finding and commenting on a song tagged AFX makes them friends.

1 minute ago, omnii said:

I don't think Aphex finding and commenting on a song tagged AFX makes them friends.

i can't remember the whole history but there were a series of correspondences and references to each-other

10 minutes ago, very honest said:

regarding "he," there was an interview with the dude and i recall gleaning it was a dude. could be wrong. wouldn't be surprised if they were female, actually. i guess i should use they because i think it's still ambiguous.

iirc it wasn't just hashtags, it was very similar (shitty) naming conventions for tracks AND similar av images for tracks.

C'mon man image.png.4cee1fbfaafce12e4cc73988611972dc.png

(also it's fucking bad. Like a pub band that does led zep covers, but aphex and boc. Atrocious)

Edited by hello spiral
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, very honest said:

rude man. your music is way worse

" your music is way worse" You resorting to insults this quickly couldn't be more hypocritical if it was written by a Christian Scientist. 

I disagree. Spi's music is pretty good. Also it's fairly original, it feels sincere and has an identity of it's own.

Spi is quite blunt, sometimes he is reductive and it annoys me but usually i appreciate his candor. 

I don't think BWE is nearly as bad as this new AF release, but it's OK at it's very best. 

What's frustrating is the fact that so many people will believe that successful artists would release a watered-down version of their own music on a small label with a terrible reputation. 
What's even MORE frustrating is this new trend of labels like FE and AF soliciting tracks from underground artists to release anonymously instead of trying to develop artists. This pulls all attention away from the idea of artists and artistry and makes it all about the label.
I REALLY want this trend to stop as both an artist and a fan.

Edited by omnii
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, omnii said:

What's frustrating is the fact that so many people will believe that successful artists would release a watered-down version of their own music on a small label with a terrible reputation. 
What's even MORE frustrating is this new trend of labels like FE and not AF soliciting tracks from underground artists to release anonymously instead of trying to develop artists. This pulls all attention away from the idea of artists and artistry and makes it all about the label.

agreed, creatively it is a stagnant puddle (for a scene I mean. Give all the aphex ripoffs oxygen and ignore anyone doing anything fresh and different). And that is what upsets me.

Edited by hello spiral
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Braintree said:

Leaving watmm because some members gave criticism makes them sound rather thin-skinned. I'm sure they left for other reasons. You wouldn't believe all the mean shit people said about my music when I first joined.

true that it's somewhat speculative but i could make the argument that the rudeness doesn't help

here's erik's goodbye note

Edited by very honest

5 minutes ago, omnii said:
23 minutes ago, very honest said:

rude man. your music is way worse

" your music is way worse" You resorting to insults this quickly couldn't be more hypocritical if it was written by a Christian Scientist. 

I disagree. Spi's music is pretty good. Also it's fairly original, it feels sincere and has an identity of it's own.

yeah i mean i think it's clear that i'm trying to make a point, and that i am arguing for less of this negative public criticism of what should be allowed to be a light-hearted hobby (music)

7 minutes ago, omnii said:

Spi is quite blunt, sometimes he is reductive and it annoys me but usually i appreciate his candor. 

i think spi knows i have appreciation for him and his music. i hope he also knows that i hope bwe has not quit music.

8 minutes ago, omnii said:

I don't think BWE is nearly as bad as this new AF release, but it's OK at it's very best. 

i like it quite a bit and so do a number of others with not shitty taste, but we can agree that of course this is subjective

9 minutes ago, omnii said:

What's even MORE frustrating is this new trend of labels like FE and AF soliciting tracks from underground artists to release anonymously instead of trying to develop artists. This pulls all attention away from the idea of artists and artistry and makes it all about the label.

i'm glad we have now separated this debate from those other topics. i could engage here, and don't necessarily agree, but i'm going to hold off for now.

Re Cult 48

Bleep are selling it with the press release quote "for fans of BOC" so i'm guessing any hint of plagiarism/ ghosting is right out of the window  as far as they are concerned if they can shift a few records

https://bleep.com/release/210472-cult-48-catalog-1-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, omnii said:

RTR was promoted by the label as being Steinvord, not necessarily the artists fault.

The name itself is a Steinvord reference.