Amazing match. Was a bit boring when Argentina were on 2 goals and France were fast asleep, text a few pals about how better it would be if the French scored and literally 5 minutes later it was 2-2. Glad Argentina won. 

Beerwolf over and out ?

• Like 1

Just call it a shoot out like they do in Hockey. They do have penalty shots in Hockey as well, but when you get to the end of OT the ref doesn’t blow a whistle and penalize both teams by having them square off in a series of penalty shots where neither team has an advantage outside of the individual talent within their team. Damn kickballers. 

I will admit I caught the last third of the final game and it did turn out to be the best soccer game I’ve seen. If Messi is the goat that Mbappe kid looks like he’s gonna start making a strong case for himself this decade.

37 minutes ago, Hail Sagan said:

Just call it a shoot out like they do in Hockey. They do have penalty shots in Hockey as well, but when you get to the end of OT the ref doesn’t blow a whistle and penalize both teams by having them square off in a series of penalty shots where neither team has an advantage outside of the individual talent within their team. Damn kickballers.

I don't like them either, but have gradually accepted them as a necessary evil in knockout competitions when there has to be a winner.  If they've slugged it out for 120+ minutes and there's still no winner, then yeah the reward for both teams is a complete crapshoot.  The psyops, nerves and dumb luck of it all is amusing in a way.

Ordinary league football has draws (ties) which are IMO a completely acceptable outcome, esp. when nowadays for league table (standings) both teams come away with only 1/3 of the spoils rather than splitting it.  I'm old enough to remember when the NHL had ties.  They'd play a 5 minute OT and neither team would try since they'd both be satisfied taking the point.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, BobDobalina said:

I don't like them either, but have gradually accepted them as a necessary evil in knockout competitions when there has to be a winner.  If they've slugged it out for 120+ minutes and there's still no winner, then yeah the reward for both teams is a complete crapshoot.  The psyops, nerves and dumb luck of it all is amusing in a way.

Ordinary league football has draws (ties) which are IMO a completely acceptable outcome, esp. when nowadays for league table (standings) both teams come away with only 1/3 of the spoils rather than splitting it.  I'm old enough to remember when the NHL had ties.  They'd play a 5 minute OT and neither team would try since they'd both be satisfied taking the point.

I really like the route the NHL has gone with bringing it down to 3 on 3 in the sudden death OT.  Also the shoot outs seem way more fair to the goalies. I felt bad for the goalies in the World Cup with that monstrosity of a net behind them ?. At least back the ball up a few more feet or some shit (IDK maybe that would make it even worse for all I know) to give them more of a chance.