Perfect dates in Australia, quieter sport calendar period unless you're manic about the early summer cricket tests (looks like the Windies & SAfricans are visiting). Only downside might be the increased difficulty of day sleeping in tropical summer rather than winter, so might opt for more replays over live. Can imagine a lot of soccer balls and related merch filling stockings next Xmas if the final is on December 18.

And Asian Cup and HOME women's World Cup six months later ?

And as an atlas nerd kid Qatar was my obsession at one point and I did follow the Q-league for a bit in the 2000s so a part of me is fond of them hosting it.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

As per Wikipedia (Premier League, but will be the case for most leagues worldwide):

There will also be a mid-season break for the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar, with the last match on the weekend of 12–13 November 2022, and the first match after the World Cup on 26 December 2022, following the World Cup final on 18 December 2022.

Edited by milkface
  • 4 weeks later...

I member that day when they awarded both the 2018 and 2022 World Cups hosts, and and thinking damn, this is some next-level openly corrupt-ass shit, even for FIFA.

Gonna try to stick to principle and keep my patronage 0 and viewing minimal (it will probably be unavoidable at points but w/e).  Worry not comrades since Alan Partridge will always have us covered for World Cup '94!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BobDobalina said:

Due to the scorching heat of Qatar, I'm sure we'll see a world cup with unprecedented levels of groin strain, and injuries in the groinal area, for many of the top footballers. 

FIFA... (smh)

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

Due to the scorching heat of Qatar, I'm sure we'll see a world cup with unprecedented levels of groin strain, and injuries in the groinal area, for many of the top footballers. 

FIFA... (smh)

Reveal hidden contents

Definitely a first world problem but the world cup is meant to be watched in the summer - in bars, city squares, beer gardens or at home with the windows wide open. Not in winter ?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I figure by using pirate streams only, I’m balancing out the morality of watching it. 

5 hours ago, dr lopez said:

Plus qatar ecuador is a hell of a shitty first game. 

Most believable one in the group for them to fix for the qatari team. 

• Like 1

It all kicks off today and looking like fyre festival 2.0

Some interesting videos for you all:

(It's a playlist) - Tifo Football made a 5 part series explaining geopolitical context in Qatar leading up to the 2022 WC.

HITC Sevens' good video made very recently

I rather enjoyed watching ECU hand Qatar their asses. Also, got to pull out my Wales sweater, pom-pom hat & flag today. Glad they tied.  
Fucking USA is so boring. What a lackluster, pointless group of fans. 

Full disclosure, I’m the farthest thing from a sports fan. I just love the World Cup and all things Welsh. When I lived in NYC, it was by far the best place to watch the cup because you could find a different bar for each country at play. I miss that. 

• Like 1
  • Burger 1
14 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I rather enjoyed watching ECU hand Qatar their asses. Also, got to pull out my Wales sweater, pom-pom hat & flag today. Glad they tied.  
Fucking USA is so boring. What a lackluster, pointless group of fans. 

Full disclosure, I’m the farthest thing from a sports fan. I just love the World Cup and all things Welsh. When I lived in NYC, it was by far the best place to watch the cup because you could find a different bar for each country at play. I miss that. 

try & access this if you can:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m001dvw1/together-stronger

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...