IGNORED

SonDEremawe & SonDEre-ix

splesh

First off, the former is perhaps easy to write off as filler (though at times it calls to mind parts of VI Scose Poise with a bit of imagination), a nothing of an interlude, as it lies between fan favourites Perlence and Simmm. You could call it a little segue onto the second side of the first LP (if you have the 2xLP version). Not too too much going on, really. Feels more of a reprise of its' counterpart than the corresponding cut does an extension of it, if you ask me.

However, the latter, expanded version found on the limited Quaristice (versions), is a tasty treat which is nice to see the presence of among its cohort although I always find myself wishing it were longer still, or at least if this fleshed out rendition had made it to the album proper. Like some of my other Quari-faves like The Plc and IO (mons), this has some really fun vocal fuckery. And it also has some great oddball sense of of melodic content, too, which call to mind the Glasgow Art School set and other 2005 performances which were said to be instrumental to the nascent Quaristice. Aaaaaaand, the title gives us another reference to this being the ninth album (in Roman numerals).

• Like 3

I was just thinking the other day how JNSN CODE GL16 and SonDEre-ix are probably related. They have that same quarter note thing at the same tempo. SonDEre-ix is the atonal creepy version whereas JNSN is melodic (and using the "perlence sound" too so I always assumed it was made during the quaristice era). You could easily mix the end of JNSN into the beginning of ix.

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Brain 1

Good catch! Also, I find the filtering on the vox in SonDEre-ix not dissimilar to that of the probe droid used by the Galactic Empire in the second Star Wars movie

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 2
  • Big Brain 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/7/2022 at 9:42 PM, splesh said:

Good catch! Also, I find the filtering on the vox in SonDEre-ix not dissimilar to that of the probe droid used by the Galactic Empire in the second Star Wars movie

Was it sampled or is it a common sound wrought of synthesis 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DyeMyBlueBlack said:

Was it sampled or is it a common sound wrought of synthesis 

Maybe it is, I don't think of all FM synthesis and vocal filtering to sound the same.