IGNORED

What musicans does Richard D. James like?

Guest Silke

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jacderida
Oasis - he likes he said in an interview, because they sound like "a modern version of the beatles" he said. And he likes to hear Pink Floyd because they sound very "psychedelyc". He said that he likes to hear everything, not only freaky electronic stuff. Hip Hop he also likes. But not that stuff what you hear on mtv (he said).

Oasis? You got a source for that?

he doesn't like moby. i heard a story that ages ago he was on some kind of tour with a load of other electronic musicians going across the states. he was on the tour bus with richie hawtin having a laugh and moby was also on the bus. him and hawtin apparently just kept ripping the piss out of moby and like, nicking his shoes and hiding them, giving him dead arms and shit, until eventually, moby got so pissed off with the constant abuse, that he quit the tour and fucked off.

I know. I used to save every Aphex interview I found. on my harddive I have about 200 interviews and documents of Richard D. James. In one interview he said that he would like to produce a album with moby. I have this interview with the bus you speak about. Moby was with Hawtin and Richard on the same tourbus and moby made some bab coments about Richard or so and than he never ever got agoin on the bus, because Aphex and Hawtin smoked wheat or something like that. Moby "was" a genius. "First Cool Hive" - still my favorite song ever. But I don´t like the mind of Moby. Just because Moby thinks very much he thinks he is wiser or more clever than the most people, but at the end of his wise and clever day - he is just as stupid as everyone else on planet earth.

Guest jacderida

Silke - so I take it your comment about Oasis comes from one of the interviews you had saved on your hard drive?

Caustic - haha, don't really know what to say to that :)

Straight from Wikipedia:

James has stated in numerous interviews that he has no musical influences other than himself. [15] He claims to have listened rarely to songs on the radio as a child and that he is unable to read sheet music. When asked who he admired musically, he responded: "Kraftwerk, Guy Called Gerald, Derrick May, Mr. Fingers, 808 State, Lil Louis, Lidell Townsend, Bass Master Warriors, Noel Williams, Martin Hannett, J Dilla, Sten Hanson, Xenakis, Piero Umiliani, Brian Bennett, Squarepusher, Autechre, and Grace Jones." [16]

Conversely, James has said that he has listened to many bands and artists for inspiration and sampled Led Zeppelin for breaks. He signed fellow musicans and personal friends Tom Jenkinson (Squarepusher) and Mike Paradinas (µ-ziq) to his Rephlex record label, as well as Luke Vibert.

In the 1993 Compilation Alblum, "Artificial Intelligence", James contributed the song "Polygon Window" under his alias "The Dice Man". The liner notes contain Q&As with all the contributors, including The Dice Man (aka James). His listed age is 17, and in response to why he contributed to "Artificial Intelligence", he stated, "from a want to hear quality electronic music that was longer than 20 minutes". He lists as his earliest influences: "Phonic Bod, Computer World, Mental Telepathy, Industrial Inc, Tomita, Tangerine Dream". Recent Influence/inspiration was "everyday sounds that can be emulated / reconstructed electronically, quality techno, especially from Europe which overshadows the current hardcore pop crap". The 5 most influential electronic labels he listed were: "Rephlex, Arptran v Plastic, KK Acid, R&S, Fragile". He listed his top 5 electronic tracks as: "K7 Acid by XP4, Astro Blaster by Joyrex J5, Flow Coma by State 808, Synth It by Revelation, Computer World by Kraftwerk". When asked to list his favourite electronic artist and why, he states, "AFX, mainly due to totally new ideas of percussion instead of the 909 etc", ironically AFX being one of his other monikers. In reply to what is next for electronic music, he says "acid/techno, ambient/techno". Finally, when asked who is his music for, he replied "nice people with three ears".

• 1 month later...
Guest sqruwezey

carl craig

armando

noizecreator

derrick may

a guy called gerald

venetian snares

merzbow

underground resistance

jeff mills

2 bad mice

marc trauner

konrad boehmer

technical itch

dylan & loxy

the ragga twins

daddy freddy

juan atkins

kraftwerk

krome & time

noisia

meat beat manifesto

mike dred

hellfish

sleeparchive

to name a few

all played live a lot

and he probably plays what he likes and all wicked

Guest Caustic

man i'd love to see Richard DJ some Snares.

if you've ever seen Snares DJ then i wonder what Richard'll be like.

actually,thinking about it he'll probably just put on a CD and have a smoke.

meh.

Guest Morgan Dunn

i think he said that he 'digs' led zepplin. you can hear the similarities in the overall groove of alot of his music

Archived