IGNORED

IZ-US

Guest Morgan

Guest Morgan Dunn

What do you think? Theres something blissful and cheerful about it...but at the end...there's this sort of depressed feeling. It has both feelings...I'm sure its different for everyone.

it's quite reflective...a bit like thinking about a girlfriend you had 7 years ago and feeling happy that you had her and sad that it didn't work out....

the phrygian scale often has that effect

i wish you'd stop mentioning the phrygian scale (or, to be more accurate, mode) in every aphex thread.

Guest Thisket

It's a wonderful driving-through-rain song. Not like traffic jams, but like scenic green woods.

But most of all it's the berries.gif berries berries.gif.

Guest Morgan Dunn
it's quite reflective...a bit like thinking about a girlfriend you had 7 years ago and feeling happy that you had her and sad that it didn't work out....

hm... its funny you put it that way...i know what you mean

ill phrygian your scale!

Guest Enter a new display name

I'm kinda confused if it has a sad or happy mood. I guess it's a mix of both...

i wish you'd stop mentioning the phrygian scale (or, to be more accurate, mode) in every aphex thread.

i wish you'd have better things to do than complain about what other people write. fuck off.

it's not the phrygian scale dude

f phrygian, though it's heavily out of tune. play the notes F or F#, G#, D# at the start (with a well tuned instrument or synth) and you'll get a cool chorusy effect with the main chord line. the chorus thing later on is practically the same except it changes the B key to C, making the scale F locrian

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD

i always thought it was a nostalgic sort of song. early memories with your family and such. happy memories, but sad because it was long ago, perhaps.

i'm fairly sure that aphex has no idea whether the mode that a track is in is phrygian or locrian or mixolydian.

i find that notion pretty silly considering he uses it over and over again in different keys, and uses pentatonic scales as well.

Guest Morgan Dunn
i'm fairly sure that aphex has no idea whether the mode that a track is in is phrygian or locrian or mixolydian.

i find that notion pretty silly considering he uses it over and over again in different keys, and uses pentatonic scales as well.

you don't think it could be his personal preference or even musical intuition that makes him use it so much?

you don't think it could be his personal preference or even musical intuition that makes him use it so much?

this is my interpretation of things too. people with an intuitive musical sense can be aware of the fact that a Dm7 - Fmaj substitution works without knowing any notes, chords, or theory, bar that picked up through experimentation, if i were to pick an example.

this is my understanding of richard's theory knowledge. it's arguable that having this sort of knowledge (or lack thereof) of theory frees you a bit, imo.

Archived