IGNORED

Bioshock

Guest Mirezzi

Guest Moebius

Played through the demo tonight. Fucking badass, excellent immersion, the whole cinematic feel of it, the sweeping score. Love the retro-futuristic theme, shades of Fallout in that way. But I get the feel more of those old games like Journeyman Project and Myst - except now we can render them real-time and a lot more exciting.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest grinningcat

lol wasnt myst like the only game out for the mac

and apparnelty it was well slow. i never played it i was playing doom on my cyrix 166

So, i just got the demo off of a torrent, installed on one of my laptops and now it bluescreens and i cant get it to boot into safemode, i tried recovery and everything. *reformats*

Guest Drahken
Dudez, I played it today, fucking amazing you can tell some of the same people who made Deus Ex worked on it.

Selling my 360 and getting an elite with this next week. Sweet I know.

Wow sweet, didint know that. Deus Ex is one of my all time favorite FPS, 2nd in line to maybe Tribes.

Guest El_Chemso

Yeah not widely known but as you of course know System Shock was made by Looking Glass makers of Thief but after they went bust they mostly went to Ion Storm and Studio called Irrational Games which Im sure youve never heard of but thats because they changed their name to 2K Boston which Im damn sure you have heard of, the makers of this Fantastic Game. The Genius behind both System Shock an Deus Ex was Warren Spector who has since gone crazy an now works for Disney. But its his team that he originally created that is mostly at 2k which is why BioShock is so like Deus Ex.

Guest catsonearth

wow, that widescreen thing is pretty bogus. it did seem from the demo that the view was a little cramped, but it didn't even occur to me that a game as big as this would do something as silly as cropping off parts of the image for widescreen...who the fuck does that? hopefully they get that cleared up with an update because that's a serious fuck up on their part.

Guest Mr Salads
wow, that widescreen thing is pretty bogus. it did seem from the demo that the view was a little cramped, but it didn't even occur to me that a game as big as this would do something as silly as cropping off parts of the image for widescreen...who the fuck does that? hopefully they get that cleared up with an update because that's a serious fuck up on their part.

Its probably not that big of a deal. Videogames are not movies...you are not losing information with this.

Guest catsonearth

it might not seem like it'd be a big deal, but it forces you to move the camera around more to check your field of vision, which can be highly annoying and can give someone a serious case of motion sickness if they're trying to watch you play. since my girlfriend and i almost always play games together, that's an issue for me. seems nitpicky, but one of the reasons i bought a widescreen HDTV was to play games in HD where widescreen is the default format, so to have a major release overlook something as simple as this on a next-gen game is pretty ridiculous. i'm sure it can be easily fixed, but for now, that's a boo in my book.

Guest Mr Salads
it might not seem like it'd be a big deal, but it forces you to move the camera around more to check your field of vision, which can be highly annoying and can give someone a serious case of motion sickness if they're trying to watch you play. since my girlfriend and i almost always play games together, that's an issue for me. seems nitpicky, but one of the reasons i bought a widescreen HDTV was to play games in HD where widescreen is the default format, so to have a major release overlook something as simple as this on a next-gen game is pretty ridiculous. i'm sure it can be easily fixed, but for now, that's a boo in my book.

I call bs on this one too. I guarantee if you never heard information was being cut off you wouldnt even consider any problems like "motion sickness" etc

Guest catsonearth

i consider that shit all the time because i hear complaints about it in my right ear all night long from my girlfriend. "stop moving the camera around so much" "i have to move it to or i cant see anything"

i don't think you understand that you actually are losing information if a game is cropped like this instead of being in true widescreen. true widescreen = everything you see in standard ratio + more info on each side of the screen, so you get a wider field of vision and can see more of your environment on screen at once. with this method, they achieve widescreen by simply cropping the top and bottom of the standard view, so not only are you not getting that extra field of vision true widescreen is supposed to provide on each side, but you're seeing less of the screen than if you were playing in standard ratio.

i consider that shit all the time because i hear complaints about it in my right ear all night long from my girlfriend. "stop moving the camera around so much" "i have to move it to or i cant see anything"

i don't think you understand that you actually are losing information if a game is cropped like this instead of being in true widescreen. true widescreen = everything you see in standard ratio + more info on each side of the screen, so you get a wider field of vision and can see more of your environment on screen at once. with this method, they achieve widescreen by simply cropping the top and bottom of the standard view, so not only are you not getting that extra field of vision true widescreen is supposed to provide on each side, but you're seeing less of the screen than if you were playing in standard ratio.

no

wrong

sorry, but games and movies are different, when a game supports widescreen, it doesnt mean that a fullscreen version has the sides cut off, its just a squashed aspect ratio, you are still seeing the exact same image, just kind of skewed. i had cousins that wouldnt play 3d games because of motion sickness. they were homeschooled.

Guest catsonearth

no

wrong

sorry, but games and movies are different, when a game supports widescreen, it doesnt mean that a fullscreen version has the sides cut off, its just a squashed aspect ratio, you are still seeing the exact same image, just kind of skewed. i had cousins that wouldnt play 3d games because of motion sickness. they were homeschooled.

if you're watching something that does not support widescreen aspect ratio on a widescreen television, then yes, you're watching the same thing as standard ratio only skewed to fit the screen, however, if something is truly widescreen, this is not the case.

the fullscreen version doesn't have the sides cut off, per say (its not like you're looking at a set recorded image like in a film), the widescreen just lets you view more of the picture.

with a film, you're usually converting widescreen to standard, which means you just cut off the sides, in this game its as if standard ratio was the default and they reformatted it to widescreen by cutting off the top and bottom...if you've ever played a game on the xbox 360 or ps3 on an HDTV, you know that that isn't really how its done.

think about it logically, why would gamers want to pay more money to buy an HDTV if the result was that they were going to see less of their video game screen? why would sony and microsoft make such a big deal about HD gaming if it meant you were getting a downgraded experience? why would anyone want to upgrade to a widescreen tv if it meant they'd be getting less than what they had before? it just doesn't make any sense.

I got this game and it's the best thing ever.

For those that played the demo, that's sort of just a taste of how the combat mechanic works. Imagine that but with tons of weapons and plasmids to choose from at any time.

For example, I just ran into a room with a big daddy & a ton of splicers. I shot him with a plasmid that made him attack all the splicers. Then I ran in front of a security camera so it would set off the alarm & send out security bots. Then I zapped 3 of them and hacked them to fight for me. By then the big daddy had taken out the splicers, and was coming after me. The flying turrets took down his health about 1/4 before he killed them all. I hid behind a big crate then lined both sides of it with proximity mines, so when he came for me he detonated them. Then I equipped my shotgun with explosive shells and unloaded my ammo reserves of that type on him. Then I lit him on fire. Then he died.

Pretty much every fight has been as intense as this, and I'm only on level 3.

Also, I'm running it widescreen at 1080i and wouldn't have even guessed anything about cropping until I read this thread. The game looks beautiful.

Guest El_Chemso

I got BioShock plus Elite and Play Charge kit from Game 30quid cheaper than from Amazon an have also bought the special edition one as well and am going to sell the spare. Excited about it all coming soon!

Guest blicero

completely agree with earvalve.

the demo section is a bit linear, but after that it's all over the map.

the amount of plasmids and the various ways you can accomplish each goal...

super intense boss fights

Archived