IGNORED

Bioshock

Guest Mirezzi

it might not seem like it'd be a big deal, but it forces you to move the camera around more to check your field of vision, which can be highly annoying and can give someone a serious case of motion sickness if they're trying to watch you play. since my girlfriend and i almost always play games together, that's an issue for me. seems nitpicky, but one of the reasons i bought a widescreen HDTV was to play games in HD where widescreen is the default format, so to have a major release overlook something as simple as this on a next-gen game is pretty ridiculous. i'm sure it can be easily fixed, but for now, that's a boo in my book.

I call bs on this one too. I guarantee if you never heard information was being cut off you wouldnt even consider any problems like "motion sickness" etc

Here's what widescreen Bioshock players are missing (the red areas are what you see in 4:3 mode):

bioshocksleevethumb.jpg

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mr Salads
it might not seem like it'd be a big deal, but it forces you to move the camera around more to check your field of vision, which can be highly annoying and can give someone a serious case of motion sickness if they're trying to watch you play. since my girlfriend and i almost always play games together, that's an issue for me. seems nitpicky, but one of the reasons i bought a widescreen HDTV was to play games in HD where widescreen is the default format, so to have a major release overlook something as simple as this on a next-gen game is pretty ridiculous. i'm sure it can be easily fixed, but for now, that's a boo in my book.

I call bs on this one too. I guarantee if you never heard information was being cut off you wouldnt even consider any problems like "motion sickness" etc

Here's what widescreen Bioshock players are missing (the red areas are what you see in 4:3 mode):

bioshocksleevethumb.jpg

Yeah that's what I looked at. I'm not seeing an issue really.

I personally think the motion sickness comes from wild camera movements, or just the 3D motion - my wife hates watching me play FPS or 3D games, as she complains the motion gives her a headache. Strangely enough, she can watch me play driving games with no problem.

Guest Mr Salads
I personally think the motion sickness comes from wild camera movements, or just the 3D motion - my wife hates watching me play FPS or 3D games, as she complains the motion gives her a headache. Strangely enough, she can watch me play driving games with no problem.

Well you know, games arent really meant to be watched but played. If shes complaining of motion sickness give her the goddamn controller you selfish bastard.

Guest Mirezzi

Well you know, games arent really meant to be watched but played. If shes complaining of motion sickness give her the goddamn controller you selfish bastard.

lol pwn

I think it's pretty weak for 2K to chop up the 4x3 image to make a widescreen image. Bastards.

The game is pretty fun to play...I haven't gotten to any mindblowing jaw dropping moments yet, but the artwork is cool. They use that old Inkspots tune a lot, the same tune from Shawshank Redemption. That's a bit disappointing and it's very obvious the developers are fans of Fallout and Silent Hill.

Guest catsonearth

bioshocksleevethumb.jpg

the above pic shows what the widescreen is missing when compared to the standard projection, but if this game did widescreen as it should be done on top of that you'd also be able to see about 25% more data on each side. so really, if you could add some more of that red zone on either side, that's what widescreen is truly lacking with this kind of projection.

its not a dealbreaker for me like a lot of people seem to be rumbling, but it is slightly annoying, especially with a game this beautiful...you really want to be able to see the most amount possible...i mean, that's why i got this damn tv in the first place.

i still can't wait to play the game. just finished the darkness last night, so my gaming schedule has opened up (except i still want to keep playing oblivion and haven't even started on condemned yet, but i suppose those can wait).

Guest Mr Salads

bioshocksleevethumb.jpg

the above pic shows what the widescreen is missing when compared to the standard projection, but if this game did widescreen as it should be done on top of that you'd also be able to see about 25% more data on each side. so really, if you could add some more of that red zone on either side, that's what widescreen is truly lacking with this kind of projection.

its not a dealbreaker for me like a lot of people seem to be rumbling, but it is slightly annoying, especially with a game this beautiful...you really want to be able to see the most amount possible...i mean, that's why i got this damn tv in the first place.

i still can't wait to play the game. just finished the darkness last night, so my gaming schedule has opened up (except i still want to keep playing oblivion and haven't even started on condemned yet, but i suppose those can wait).

The only concern is you're not seeing as much. But you're still getting the same resolution...it's not like it's a full screen mode where the FOV is zoomed in or something. Granted, this was made in high def so it boggles my mind why you would not make 16:9 the standard.

I got the demo yesterday. For some reason, the game keeps crashing when trying to load "Rapture". Anyone else have this problem?

yeah, i've encountered this once. disable "high detail shaders" before entering rapture, you can safely re-enable it when you're in.

Guest Mirezzi

Well, fighting sucks, I know that much...at least, with a control pad it does. You get all amped up to fight bad guys, then you realize they move around at the speed of light while you're gimping around with a control pad trying to get your thumb lined up with their heads. UGH...

Guest catsonearth
Well, fighting sucks, I know that much...at least, with a control pad it does. You get all amped up to fight bad guys, then you realize they move around at the speed of light while you're gimping around with a control pad trying to get your thumb lined up with their heads. UGH...

noob

Guest Mirezzi

noob

Really? From what I've been reading, it's widely accepted that a control pad is mega inferior to keys and mouse. I don't care how much experience you have with a control pad, I'd waste your ass with keys and mouse in 2.5 seconds, sir!

I can still remember the early days of games like Jedi Knight and Quake II where jackasses would try playing with a microsoft joystick.

Guest catsonearth

noob

Really? From what I've been reading, it's widely accepted that a control pad is mega inferior to keys and mouse. I don't care how much experience you have with a control pad, I'd waste your ass with keys and mouse in 2.5 seconds, sir!

I can still remember the early days of games like Jedi Knight and Quake II where jackasses would try playing with a microsoft joystick.

nah, i'm just fucking with you. control pads are pretty annoying for shooters, but i've come to get used to them. i've never really been a fan of playing games on a pc, so i never had that connection to mouse and keys to lust after, but i dunno...there's something rewarding about mastering the more difficult control pad shooting. seems like every shooter on a console controls differently as far as aiming, but once i've played a game for a level or two i usually get accustomed to it and it becomes second nature.

Control pad usage for first person games has become so refined that there's really no reason to blame the controls themselves, you just need to get better at it. I've been using dual analog for FPS's since PS1 days, and actually find the keyboard & mouse setup to be inferior, since you have to hold keys to run or walk slowly or crawl, and only have 8 direction movement as opposed to analog movement.

i think bioshock would be a much better game if they didnt force the story and narrative on you so much. I would prefer it a little less heavy handed and more slow to reveal itself. A more lynchian approach is in order. I feel like the atmospherics are slightly deflated when you keep getting story elements thrown in your direction. Mind you i only played the demo, so perhaps beyond the training mode/intro this isnt the case.

Guest Mirezzi
i think bioshock would be a much better game if they didnt force the story and narrative on you so much. I would prefer it a little less heavy handed and more slow to reveal itself. A more lynchian approach is in order. I feel like the atmospherics are slightly deflated when you keep getting story elements thrown in your direction. Mind you i only played the demo, so perhaps beyond the training mode/intro this isnt the case.

No I think you're right, it's all coming at you at a breakneck pace, honestly...and the sound quality of the recorded diaries is appalling; they're like mono and filled with static and the voice actors have heavy accents.

So far, there have been so goddamn many of those diaries, I have no idea what the fuck the story is!

No I think you're right, it's all coming at you at a breakneck pace, honestly...and the sound quality of the recorded diaries is appalling; they're like mono and filled with static and the voice actors have heavy accents.

So far, there have been so goddamn many of those diaries, I have no idea what the fuck the story is!

i think the atmosphere of bioshock is its best feature. it would be a more compelling game to me if you were just thrown in this crazy world with almost no context. the part where you start going down and watch the grainy film reel was a little over the top imo. once the popularity dies down ill probably rent it

Guest Mirezzi

i think the atmosphere of bioshock is its best feature. it would be a more compelling game to me if you were just thrown in this crazy world with almost no context. the part where you start going down and watch the grainy film reel was a little over the top imo. once the popularity dies down ill probably rent it

That's only a tip of the iceberg, I'm afraid. Later on, there's a segment that, combined with the intro, makes the game feel like a fairly transparent ripoff of Fallout. That same old 50's cartoon imagery is used, but to not quite as interesting an effect. The artwork is a true hodge-podge and I like some of it, but it looks and feels a bit like a stiff first person shooter sometimes.

The best thing about the game is the plasmids, so far. I'm not very far into the game though. I just got a shotgun and it works wonders.

Archived