IGNORED

Bioshock

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what we're seeing here is the usual backlash to any piece of work that is highly rated. A reaction to the hype. If you don't consider this a contender for game of the year you're not being very subjective. You might not like the game but you shouldn't go to great lengths to find complaints. I personally find the GTA games after the GTA2 retarded (the gameplay is shit), however I'll still give the game props and wouldn't rail on about them online. just an example

Gears is so clunky it's frustrating. Rainbow Six did the cover mechanic 8 million times better.

I had fun with the campaign but the story was probably thought up in about 5 minutes, and the dialogue written in another 10.

Plus, online sucks in Gears. It's yet another race to the most powerful weapon on the map. That got old after Quake 1.

the jist of this is, bioshock got bigged up to be some kind of brand new, original amazing game, when it is actually just another first person shooter with nice graphics and a plot set underwater. fun to play, but nothing groundbreaking.

im just gonna play deus ex again tbh

Guest catsonearth

been slowly going through it for the last week or so. i dig it. its not groundbreaking or anything...i don't think it was meant to be a reinvention of anything. its your standard FPS with some next gen upgrades. i don't know how far into the game i am right now (fort frolic), but so far i'm a little let down by the fact that i can't customize my weapons. i could have sworn being able to customize weapons was a selling point of the game, but i've yet to encounter it. i go around collecting all these spare parts and shit, but all it lets me invent is some bullets and auto hack tools. am i missing something? am i not there yet? am i totally mistaken?

the other let down for me is the aiming. its not the best available on a console, but i think mainly it could be that the crosshairs are just too lightly colored. i have a really hard time lining up shots, sometimes i can't really tell where i'm aiming, especially if i've just shocked somebody and am trying to pull off a headshot...just gotta guess sometimes. doesn't always end well. i downloaded the demo for 'timeshift' the other day and that game, while looking pretty damn generic (still will probably be fun tho), has some pretty smooth aiming for a console shooter. controlled really well in that respect.

bioshock, like gears of war, is just a good, fun game. its not the best, by any means, but its fun while you're playing it and when you're not playing it, you often think about it when daydreaming. could it be better? definitely. there are certain aspects of the story that i'm not really into...the storytelling mechanism is kinda lame (the whole recording/CV radio thing). its pretty annoying to have to listen to all these godforsaken recordings that usually time themselves perfectly with a surprise enemy attack, so you end up not really listening anyway because you're busy trying to franticly shotgun the dude that is bashing the back of your head in with a pipe. part of me thinks the game would have been a lot better if it hadn't been explained to you by atlas and you were discovering this underwater world with fresh eyes, trying to piece together what went wrong by observing shit and maybe finding the occasional recording to fill in some things. atlas is just a pretty stupid character all around, so far. could have definitely done without him.

still, all these are just minor gripes with a perfectly fun game. it doesn't break any ground, but it has a lot to offer and what seems like a decent amount of replay value since you can choose to save or harvest the little sisters and the enemy attacks seem not to be too scripted.

Guest Evil Sleep Ophelia
I think what we're seeing here is the usual backlash to any piece of work that is highly rated. A reaction to the hype. If you don't consider this a contender for game of the year you're not being very subjective. You might not like the game but you shouldn't go to great lengths to find complaints. I personally find the GTA games after the GTA2 retarded (the gameplay is shit), however I'll still give the game props and wouldn't rail on about them online. just an example

Bitching about anything well-regarded is what forumdwellers are best at.

Guest catsonearth

ok i just had to come on and rant for a minute. i desperately want to finish this fucking game, but the last 2 or 3 nights i've tried to play the fucking thing stutters beyond belief. not just every once in awhile, like every 2 seconds its lagging, freezing and then jumping to the point where it's completely unplayable. one second i'll be fine and then it'll stutter and the next second there's a splicer in front of me about to bash my face. i can't even play a full minute. wtf is this shit? googled it and apparently a lot of other people are having the same problem. didn't they test this shit? in all my years of gaming i don't think i've ever encountered a buggier, more frustrating console than the xbox 360. ridiculous!

ok i just had to come on and rant for a minute. i desperately want to finish this fucking game, but the last 2 or 3 nights i've tried to play the fucking thing stutters beyond belief. not just every once in awhile, like every 2 seconds its lagging, freezing and then jumping to the point where it's completely unplayable. one second i'll be fine and then it'll stutter and the next second there's a splicer in front of me about to bash my face. i can't even play a full minute. wtf is this shit? googled it and apparently a lot of other people are having the same problem. didn't they test this shit? in all my years of gaming i don't think i've ever encountered a buggier, more frustrating console than the xbox 360. ridiculous!

That's funny because our Japanese-made Xbox has been a workhorse, no probs at all. It started doing what you're talking about when I was playing 200+ hours of Oblivion, turned out the cache was full, or whatever. You have to press one of the buttons (blue one?) after you turn off the console but before the game comes up to clear the cache. Don't know if you're experiencing the same prob or not.

Try clearing the cache by holding the right and left bumpers while the game loads.

Guest catsonearth

tried it already (the cache clearing), to no avail. guess i just have to put this game on hold until they release an update to fix this BS. i just have a hard time believing this shit. $400 console, $65 games...for these kinds of prices i expect to get something better than a fisher-price quality, rinkidink piece of shit with tons of problems.

good thing i just purchased stranglehold yesterday.

Simple, ditch the 360 and get a PS3. The hardware failure rate is the one thing that scared me away from a 360.

Then he doesn't have to worry about glitches because he'll have nothing to play. :laughing:

Simple, ditch the 360 and get a PS3. The hardware failure rate is the one thing that scared me away from a 360.

Then he doesn't have to worry about glitches because he'll have nothing to play. :laughing:

Ah, bullshit - I've got tonnes of stuff to play, and plenty of game demos to keep me busy too... I mean, really - who goes through 2-3 games a month anymore? I average 1 game every 2 months or so. I've got three PS3 games (Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Motorstorm, and Resistance: Fall of Man), and they just released an expansion for Motorstorm and Ninja Gaiden, so I've got my hands full (when I have time to play).

tried it already (the cache clearing), to no avail. guess i just have to put this game on hold until they release an update to fix this BS. i just have a hard time believing this shit. $400 console, $65 games...for these kinds of prices i expect to get something better than a fisher-price quality, rinkidink piece of shit with tons of problems.

good thing i just purchased stranglehold yesterday.

Fringe benefits to living in China: modded Xbox: $350, games: $0.75.

Archived