IGNORED

Bioshock

Guest Mirezzi

darkness made me feel very psychedelic and uneasy when i first got it. I got stoned before playing it for the first time alone in my apartment. And i actually passed out asleep while watching (in the video game) "to kill a mocking bird" on tv with my (videogame) girlfriend. I recall watching almost the entire film, i havent seen it before so it was somewhat enjoyable and very surreal. it was just fucking weird falling assleep to me watching tv in a video game while cuddling with my virtual girlfriend.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I appreciate the opinions of Ghostbusters and Cats, so if I ever get the time, I'll check it out.

Mainly, I just thought it was really fucking depressing to play; that form of amoral, nihilist gameplay doesn't do it for me. Very rarely do antiheros actually end up fun to play. There was something just a little 1980's Motley Crue about the presentation, too. All the RAOROAOROOOORRRRR voices of DEAAATH and shit like that, I dunno...

Have you ever played Planescape: Torment? Best antihero ever.

Guest catsonearth
darkness made me feel very psychedelic and uneasy when i first got it. I got stoned before playing it for the first time alone in my apartment. And i actually passed out asleep while watching (in the video game) "to kill a mocking bird" on tv with my (videogame) girlfriend. I recall watching almost the entire film, i havent seen it before so it was somewhat enjoyable and very surreal. it was just fucking weird falling assleep to me watching tv in a video game while cuddling with my virtual girlfriend.

yeaaah, that was a brilliant moment in video game history. i haven't finished the game yet, but to me, that was a really great little touch that i hope there are more of throughout the game. i think that scene in particular gave me a great overall fondness for the game...even if the rest of the game were to totally blow, i'd still like the game for little details like that. you don't usually get emotional details like that in video games, which was a welcome change. i'm hoping with the next game they do they'll really take stuff like that to the next stage of progression and focus on things that really immerse you in the world and make you feel like the environment around you isn't built expressly for your character's needs.

there are things that i don't really get about the darkness (like why this supposed ny gangster thug looks like the lost member of type o negative), but i prefer the story to something like gears of war which is basically just an uber-macho testosterone fest and one of the countless 'aliens' ripoff plotlines. at least there are some layers and human emotion involved, even if there are highly simplified and there are still some slightly cheesy elements (it was based on an image comic afterall...kinda hard to completely axe out stuff like that without totally changing the feel of the source material). i mean, yea, the story could use a little finessing, but honestly, what game couldn't? as far as revenge plotlines go, i think it innovates enough to elevate it above the motley crue-esque vibe that you might get from some of it as you continue playing.

yeaaah, that was a brilliant moment in video game history. i haven't finished the game yet, but to me, that was a really great little touch that i hope there are more of throughout the game. i think that scene in particular gave me a great overall fondness for the game...even if the rest of the game were to totally blow, i'd still like the game for little details like that. you don't usually get emotional details like that in video games, which was a welcome change. i'm hoping with the next game they do they'll really take stuff like that to the next stage of progression and focus on things that really immerse you in the world and make you feel like the environment around you isn't built expressly for your character's needs.

there are things that i don't really get about the darkness (like why this supposed ny gangster thug looks like the lost member of type o negative), but i prefer the story to something like gears of war which is basically just an uber-macho testosterone fest and one of the countless 'aliens' ripoff plotlines. at least there are some layers and human emotion involved, even if there are highly simplified and there are still some slightly cheesy elements (it was based on an image comic afterall...kinda hard to completely axe out stuff like that without totally changing the feel of the source material). i mean, yea, the story could use a little finessing, but honestly, what game couldn't? as far as revenge plotlines go, i think it innovates enough to elevate it above the motley crue-esque vibe that you might get from some of it as you continue playing.

yeah the Darkness on the surface just seems like a generic FPS that looks pretty but its all the subtle details in it that i think elevate beyond the normal game. I Even found a lot of the cinema cut scenes to be pretty involving, especially the part where your GF eats a bullet. I just watched to kill a mocking bird with that girl NO!!!!!

Guest Mirezzi

Okay, I only played the demo of The Darkness and the controls were a pain in the ass and I didn't dig on the vibe. It was like The Crow but I couldn't tell what the fuck was going on, which is one of the problems with demos honestly.

The other thing is that I'm still struggling big time with FPS controls using a damned remote. It's just not keyboard / mouse.

Oh yeah, Planescape is one of the best ever. Period. I love Black Isle and I pray that Fallout 3 will be half as good as it should be.

so if it uses dx10 does that mean if ur running dx9 it will lack graphical enhancements? or not by much...?

DX10 does a lot if you've seen before and after screenshots, but if you haven't you won't miss out on that much. Just to show you what the DX10 does in Crysis the link below shows come comparison videos (:

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-ga...dx10-comparison

wait, you could watch the entire movie ingame?

wait, you could watch the entire movie ingame?

yes isnt that fucking ridiculous. at first i was like nah i bet this goes on loop after like 5 minutes, so i sat and watch and tested it to see if it did and i fell asleep before the movie was over but as far as i can tell it was the entire thing.

I watched it for like 45 minutes, also to see if it would keeep going.

I just love the storyline in that game, how it's not just about fighting the mob, but also the darkness that has taken hold of you. And the ending made me genuinely sad, not something a game has accomplished in the past.

And in related 360 news, Microsoft has revealed a lot of the "red ring of death" warranty issues that have been sent in are false alarms since 4 red rings will flash if the video cable is not detected, and as a result, MS is considering taking that warning code out of future builds since shipping is costing them so much.

LOL SelfPWN

Guest blicero
And in related 360 news, Microsoft has revealed a lot of the "red ring of death" warranty issues that have been sent in are false alarms since 4 red rings will flash if the video cable is not detected, and as a result, MS is considering taking that warning code out of future builds since shipping is costing them so much.

LOL SelfPWN

yeah, but it'd be more of a pwn if they were all defects. wouldn't it?

honestly, if you send in your 360 because it doesn't work when the video cable isn't attached... you should be shot.

that's like returning a wii because it doesn't work when it's not plugged in.

LOL SelfPWN

yeah, but it'd be more of a pwn if they were all defects. wouldn't it?

honestly, if you send in your 360 because it doesn't work when the video cable isn't attached... you should be shot.

that's like returning a wii because it doesn't work when it's not plugged in.

Well, I meant is was a SelfPWN on MS's part for making the error code for a video cable being unplugged so similar to COMPLETE AND UTTER FUCKING SYSTEM FAILURE ZOMG!!!1!one!

Archived