IGNORED

Bioshock

Guest Mirezzi

how can you say half life two was varied and interesting? you got the choice between riding in some stupid future vehicle, badly, or shooting men on a rail based game platform. the only thing that varied was the landscape that you shot people on. the only part of that game that genuinely immpressed me was ravenholm, that was amazin.

enjoying bioshock.

been chillin out playing it at night in the dark, and those daddies make some fuckin creepy noises. im quite pleased that they arent actually enemies too, the plasmid where you get them to protect you is pretty cool.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest blicero
been chillin out playing it at night in the dark, and those daddies make some fuckin creepy noises. im quite pleased that they arent actually enemies too, the plasmid where you get them to protect you is pretty cool.

i got 2 bouncer elites o fight eachother on a staircase using the hypno plasmid. it was epic.

2K comments on widescreen:

We understand there has been some concern about the implementation of widescreen mode in BioShock. Hopefully, we can clarify how we’ve chosen to do this.

The first thing we want to make clear is the mode we developed the game on and the optimal mode for playing the game is the widescreen mode. 90% of our development stations were widescreen displays: artists, programmers and designers.

- BioShock was primarily developed and tuned for widescreen mode. Artists and designers worked with widescreen displays and chose a field of view (FOV) that best reflected their intentions with respect to the way the world is perceived, the perceived speed of movement of the player relative to the world and the amount of the world they wanted to be viewed for the best game-play experience. We went through dozens of iterations and finally settled upon a widescreen aspect ratio that best suited the gameplay experience.

- When playing in widescreen modes the game makes use of the full screen resolution, and does not crop or stretch a lower resolution image into a wide screen one. For example, at 720p the game renders natively to the full 1280x720 resolution.

- Once this FOV was established, we chose to keep exactly the same horizontal FOV for standard def displays, so as not to in any way alter the gameplay experience.

- Instead of cropping the FOV for 4:3 displays and making all 4:3 owners mad in doing so, we slightly extended the vertical FOV for standard def mode: we never wanted to have black bars on people’s displays. (This way, everybody is happy…) This does mean that people playing on a standard def display see slightly more vertical space, but, this does not significantly affect the game-play experience and, we felt that it best served our goal of keeping the game experience as close as possible to the original design and art vision on both types of displays. Reports of the widescreen FOV being a crop of the 4:3 FOV are completely false.

One thing we can assure you that all these decisions were made with the best interests of the game in mind. We didn’t save any money or development time by choosing this set of parameters. We did what we thought was the best thing for the game: developing and optimizing it for widescreen displays, and making the decision not to do the usual crop for 4:3 displays. As a consumer, you certainly have the right to disagree.

We understand that not all users might not be happy with these choices and we will be looking into options for allowing users to adjust FOV settings manually. But as we mentioned earlier, changes to video game code do not happen in minutes or hours. We appreciate your understanding.

Okay, I just beat this game for the 2nd time last night. Have every achievement except for 1 (the hard mode one).

This game is the best game to come out in years. There's so much variety to it it's staggering. During the first 3/4 of my 2nd playthrough I used telekenesis for all my non Big Daddy fights. Nothing like killing someone with a wrench, then repeatedly picking up & throwing their corpse at hordes of splicers to kill them.

As for sound, art direction, graphics, story, and gameplay, this is currently unrivaled by any game currently available. Period. If you disagree, you are either an idiot, or you haven't played Bioshock.

As long as you avoid spoilers before beating the game in full, I can see no reason not to love the storyline. Even after knowing what happens, I enjoyed it even more the second time because I discovered alot more audio diaries fleshing out the story. I mean, when was the last time a fucking video game got you thinking about the conflicting philosophies of government, free market, and science without morality? Everything else is "Here's a moderately interesting reason to kill things. Now GO!" and it's even more obvious now having played this.

I would go so far as to say this height of quality in terms of gameplay, story, AND atmosphere combined, won't be reached again for quite some time. Everything in this game oozes originality and awesomeness.

And as for the guy who's been going around bitching about beating it in 2 days, I can only assume you played it on easy and/or went straight to your objectives without exploring. Play it on hard & turn the compass off, you'll find 70% more game that way, and get so much more out of it.

Guest Evil Sleep Ophelia

Man, I can't wait until 9 days from now when I finally buy this... I'm biding my time with lots of Counter-Strike and Fate.

Guest Evil Sleep Ophelia
I'm biding my time until...Thanksgiving

Any particular reason? Or is this a reference to another game coming out at Thanksgiving (like Halo 3)?

I have some complaints with the game, even though in general it's pretty fun.

Spoilers ahead, so don't click unless you want the plot to be ruined.

First off, it's way too short. You only get to visit, say, eight or nine areas of Rapture, right? Then the atmosphere just goes down the toilet during the Hephaestus level. It's not scary anymore, no dark, foreboding areas. It's just kinda of blah.

Then that huge plot twist comes around and to be quite honest, it kinda sucks. The ending is horrible too (The one you get when you save all the little sisters). Could they have made it cornier?

In general, I was pissed off that the ending didn't match the dramatic beginning. Everything went downhill after you killed that crazy theater guy. The story became bland. You go from being some random guy that accidentally landed in Rapture to a trained assassin that must kill his own father, who is the evil genius behind the city. Is that not the definition of cliche?

Another thing that bugged me. Being a Big Daddy wasn't fun at all. You'd think that you'd at least get the ability to dash like they do or to use a drill, right? Oh well.

Bioshock was a huge disappointment to me, as most games tend to be because the developers talk about how "mind blowing" and "expansive" the game is going to be. I don't mind the widescreen thing or DRM because I'm honestly not that picky about that kind of stuff. I do mind that the game is ridiculously short and has a severely disappointing story.

Not worth the fifty bucks I paid for it, but it's still alright as a shooter. I hope that modders start coming out of the woodwork to screw around with it, because the game has a really fine engine.

What he said. If you have played SS2, Thief, Deus Ex, etc I don't think you'll think this is one of the best games ever. For me it's a solid 88%. In the context of so many shit games it shines, but when compared to the classics it falls a little short. On the plus side, it is very polished and well crafted, which is no mean feat in next gen development. The dev team(s) should definitely be proud of what they accomplished.

Guest thechintzyschpincter

This game fucking freaks the hell of me at some points. The audio in this game is some of the best work Ive heard, utilizing the surround sound perfectly.

The creepy factor brings me back to the days of RE1.

you gotta kill the daddies yeah. you should save instead of harvest, you can hypnotize the daddies to attack everything else then, get some monster battles between the daddies, theres places where you can get 3 or 4 to come at the same time if you attack and draw them away from the little girls in the right way.

btw dont get me wrong, every part of this game was fuckin wicked, its just there werent that many parts. the bit where you kill ryan is like the equivilant bit of deus ex where you find out the company you work for is evil, but in deus ex that results in a crazy trek around the world to find some mad weapons and shit, not just a hurried race to the last (easy) boss.

you gotta kill the daddies yeah. you should save instead of harvest, you can hypnotize the daddies to attack everything else then, get some monster battles between the daddies, theres places where you can get 3 or 4 to come at the same time if you attack and draw them away from the little girls in the right way.

btw dont get me wrong, every part of this game was fuckin wicked, its just there werent that many parts. the bit where you kill ryan is like the equivilant bit of deus ex where you find out the company you work for is evil, but in deus ex that results in a crazy trek around the world to find some mad weapons and shit, not just a hurried race to the last (easy) boss.

lol, spoilers, man.

but yeah, i agree

fontaine was such an easy boss, i beat him on the first try, lol.

sorry - just not being impressed by this game.

just another wander about fps with a shitey gothic-horror-sci-fi-lo-fi plot that could have been written on a hankie in a Burger King.

Graphics are lovely, but due to limitation of the plot being based in one location...it all starts to look well, all the same... after 2 levels of the shit.

Reminds me of Beneath A Steel Sky on Amiga 1200 - amazing looking, shite plot and gameplay.

Give me new Gears any day. I need to feel like I'm interacting with the terrain when I'm fighting shit. Otherwise it's no better than Doom.

Sorry.

Guest blicero

wow, are you both crazy?

come back and tell me what you think after you get at least 80% through the game on an HD display.

or is this just the usual "hey, let's hate on the popular game"?

speaking of hating on a popular game, gears is the most overrated pile of shit. it's a fun game, for all of 6 hours!!! i keep hearing cliffy b say that gears has moved the fps genre forward, but i'm stuggling to see the innovation. ducking behind corners? yeah, that was new like 3 tom clancy games ago, time crisis, etc.

it looked nice, and played well, but the story was half baked, and just about every aspect of it was cliché as fuck.

edit: btw, do you really think anyone will be playing gears on xbox live after 9/25? i don't.

Guest Caustic
I like the fact the the Microsoft is also now responsible of the buggest consoles in the history of computing.

funny,mine has worked perfectly since i got it in January 2006.

lol, i love ye blic-man.

you got passion, i'll give you that.

your shooting off the wall rants at people who hold an opinion that conflicts with your own remind me of... eh... uhmm... myself.

lol.

nah, sorry bud - I think it's shite. And that's on a 42" Viera HD screen, so can't blame the video equipment. Yes it looks good. Just doesn't feel very advanced in terms of movement, combat or control. Sounds good - yes, very. Concept - corny, but yes better than Gears story..but lets be honest, the story was about the whackest thing about Gears.

Still find it more fun than Bioshock, and I'm pretty bored with it after a year.

Whether anyone will be playing Gears after Halo 3 is out has little or nothing to do with a discussion about how good Bioshock is, so you've sort of lost me there bud.

Anyhoo - glad you like it.

That's the only thing that matters bro!

Archived